Singapore Expats Forum

Jobs, jobs, jobs

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Newarrival

Jobs, jobs, jobs

Postby Newarrival » Thu, 25 Mar 2004 1:16 am

Hi Everybody,

I would very much like to work and live in Singapore.

I'm Dutch and currently living in Amsterdam and checking out opportunities. I basically would like to know is what the economical state is at the moment and what my changes are.

I have a masters degree in law and have been working at a big 4 company, providing tax advice to HR departments of international companies regarding their expats, for the last 4,5 years. The work ranged from personal tax advice to ceo's or young expats (as I hope to be), to structuring and implementing epxat schemes for HR departments of international companies. The language of communication is mainly English. The work is quite diverse and even fun, but I feel it is time to move on. I do not necessarily want to remain in tax, HR or recruitment has always had my interest too.

Therefore, does anyone know what my changes would be, are companies employing foreigners at the moment, is this a good time to make the move?

Postby Guest » Thu, 25 Mar 2004 3:20 am

Hi New,

How come Singapore of all places? Any specific reason? It's a great country, sure, just going through a bit of a rough patch right now. Picking up steam, however, so things are looking up.

Not too sure about the details; JP will come along in a short while and make short thrift of your post, so no worries. All's I know is that you're in for some tough love, I'm afraid. I myself am moving to Singapore for keeps in August. I'm taking my business with me, which should help me get a PR. Without a job, place to stay, cash or prospects, it's going to be jolly difficult, I reckon.

What are the odds of getting sent by your current employer? Slight, I presume.

Still, if you're determined and capable you may land a job at a local firm. From then on, it may be feasible - but still a real slog. Your best bet would be to come down first, have a look, see if it's really what you're after.

NBB

newarrival

jb,jobs,jobs

Postby newarrival » Thu, 25 Mar 2004 4:47 pm

I have done a fair bit of travelling in Asia and absolutely loved it. In Singapore the language wouldn't be a problem, there are alraedy quite a few expats working there and overall it is a very easy city to get around. Thats why Singapore seems to be my best (Asian) bet.

I'm trying to get there through my company but I'm not sure if it will work out. If not I'm thinking of packing up and going annyway. See if I can get a job while staying in Singapore. I've managed to safe up a bit so it would't be a problem to stay out there for at least three months or so. But if the economy is that bad, I might need to rethink my plan. One thing remains unclear to me though, being Dutch I don't need a visa, but how long can I stay for as a (secretly jobseeking)tourist.

Annyway, guest good luck with your business, hope it works out! :D

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Thu, 25 Mar 2004 4:59 pm

You can stay 14 or 30 days, renewable a couple of times (across the border and back) before the authorities start to look at you suspiciously.

In the current economic climate, I'd advise you to line up the job before you get here, and/or exploit any personal contacts you might have. Just showing up and hoping to get in through the front door is likely to be difficult.

NBB

Postby NBB » Thu, 25 Mar 2004 5:05 pm

Het avontuurlijk type?

:wink:

Je lijkt mij wel een paar jaar geleden, totally smitten with the Lion City. Heb je email, dan pakken we de draad daar op. Wanneer vertrek je? Ik vlieg 1 augustus, wellicht eerder.

Keep in touch.

Groetjes,

NBB

newarrival

Postby newarrival » Fri, 26 Mar 2004 12:57 am

Hééé, dat taaltje ken ik. Ik hoop deze week te horen of ik via mijn werk kan, ik moet van Singapore nog het groene licht krijgen.... Als dat doorgaat dan denk ik per 1 juni. Als ik op eigen houtje ga dan zal het iets later zijn.

Although, how is the summerseason (June-August) for jobhunting, is it really slow as in Europe. Does anybody know????

Postby Guest » Fri, 26 Mar 2004 4:38 am

It's been prtty slow the past 2 years or so, what with the economic downturn. Still, I think if you're into challenges and you're determined, then you will get a foot in, regardless of how trying times are.

I guess you'll want to meet as many people as you can, mingle like the best of them. It's not so much what you know....

And make sure they stamp your passport for 30 days when you arrive, this will buy you some extra time.

Succes!

NBB