Singapore Expats

Working Remotely From Singapore Help

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Post Reply
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 6:02 am
Location: Rhode Island, USA

Working Remotely From Singapore Help

Post by theemptyone » Sat, 22 Oct 2011 3:14 am

Living in Singapore has been a goal of mine for some time. Recently I have had a lot of support from my management and director in trying to make this dream a reality.

We're seeing some back and forth from the corporate/HR side of this though. I'm a SysAdmin working at Dell SecureWorks.

The first option we have discussed is that I would transfer to the Singapore Office for Dell, and work from there. However if I was to do this, it would mean they would be cutting my salary in half because of how the corporate structure works.

My manager and Director are trying to determine how it would work if i was to be registered as a remote employee instead.

My question is this.

What would be required for someone to work remotely from Singapore. I know that there would be a work Visa nessesary, but is this something I can procure on my own? For taxes, would i be able to simply file on my own on a yearly basis? Is there some sort of precedent for this or resource I can look up to get more information? I've only really seen information on transferring within a company to Singapore and not for working remotely from there.

The goal here is to take as much burden from my company in order to allow this to happen.

Any information from someone who knows would be greatly appreciated.


Posts: 1768
Joined: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 11:15 am
Location: Ahlongistan (O$P$)

Post by beppi » Sat, 22 Oct 2011 5:31 am

A work visa (EP or WP) can only be applied for by a Singapore-registered company (e.g your employer's Singapore office).
Working remotely for a foreign-based employer will not give you a visa and might be illegal.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Posts: 11675
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 12:13 am
Answers: 10
Location: Off The Red Dot

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 22 Oct 2011 8:11 am

I believe you will have to do one of two things. Have the company form a wholly owned subsidiary here and employ you, or you form your own company with a resident director which then applies for an EP for you. Professionals with guaranteed incomes have had success in going this route.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests