Singapore Expats Forum

Best burger, fries, and beers?

Share your favourite eating haunts!
User avatar
BigSis
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat, 17 Apr 2010

Postby BigSis » Thu, 23 Feb 2012 6:52 pm

I had a burger at Botak Jones today at Centrepoint.

Might be renaming it Botulism Jones later tonight.........we'll see how it pans out.

andy113
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed, 02 Nov 2011
Location: Singapore

Postby andy113 » Thu, 01 Mar 2012 10:45 pm

Jones the Grocer does an excellent burger - nice selection of beers / ciders / wines too - though not a cheap option!

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 382
Joined: Mon, 19 Oct 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby scarbowl » Fri, 02 Mar 2012 4:54 pm

Can't figure out what's in the meat in a Botak burger! Friend invited me to the American Club bar and they have a great burger. Fries were okay. The beer was COLD! Personally, I prefer the fries at the Brussels Sprout (Belgian) where they also have good beer but no burger.

User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010
Location: My laptop

Postby BillyB » Fri, 02 Mar 2012 9:09 pm

I forgot about about handburger - great baps....

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Fri, 02 Mar 2012 9:25 pm

BillyB wrote:I forgot about about handburger - great baps....


And we do like a nice set of baps don't we Bunter! :)

Handburger - as I have previously mentioned - won't cook under 'medium' and that is not on for me. When I asked them why they said something [bullshit] about it being too thin to cook less than medium.

This tells me they have no confidence in the freshness of their ingredients. And if they don't, why should I?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34269
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 02 Mar 2012 9:43 pm

What, pray tell, is a "handburger"? I thought it was a hamburger and was originally conceived in Hamburg, Germany.

User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010
Location: My laptop

Postby BillyB » Fri, 02 Mar 2012 9:47 pm

JR8 wrote:
BillyB wrote:I forgot about about handburger - great baps....


And we do like a nice set of baps don't we Bunter! :)

Handburger - as I have previously mentioned - won't cook under 'medium' and that is not on for me. When I asked them why they said something [bullshit] about it being too thin to cook less than medium.

This tells me they have no confidence in the freshness of their ingredients. And if they don't, why should I?


Personally, I prefer a good muff-burger.....

Are you sure you're thinking of handburger - somerset and raffles city? the burgers are pretty thick - a bit like half the posters on here - and they'll gladly cook it medium rare if you ask nicely. Maybe your accent threw them off?!

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Fri, 02 Mar 2012 9:48 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:What, pray tell, is a "handburger"? I thought it was a hamburger and was originally conceived in Hamburg, Germany.


Dreadful name isn't it, a bit like Udders ice cream shop...

It's a one-off burger joint in the basement of Raffles City mall...

User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010
Location: My laptop

Postby BillyB » Fri, 02 Mar 2012 9:50 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:What, pray tell, is a "handburger"? I thought it was a hamburger and was originally conceived in Hamburg, Germany.


An alternative chain of rat sandwich, but this one serves thick, fresh and juicy rat....

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Fri, 02 Mar 2012 9:55 pm

BillyB wrote:Personally, I prefer a good muff-burger.....

Any more of that and you'll get detention again!

Are you sure you're thinking of handburger - somerset and raffles city?

Raffles City (didn't realise it had expanded)

the burgers are pretty thick -


Hence the obvious bullshittyness of their comment to me. In fact it doens't matter how thick the patty is, if you want to cook it medium rare it is not a challenge.


a bit like half the posters on here -

Thick and well-done bwahahaha...

and they'll gladly cook it medium rare if you ask nicely.

Nope, not when I asked nicely.

Maybe your accent threw them off?!

If they can't understand my accentless English then good luck to them!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34269
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 02 Mar 2012 10:02 pm

Ah-hah! Learned sumtin new today! :lol:

User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010
Location: My laptop

Postby BillyB » Fri, 02 Mar 2012 10:04 pm

JR8 wrote:
BillyB wrote:Personally, I prefer a good muff-burger.....

Any more of that and you'll get detention again!

Are you sure you're thinking of handburger - somerset and raffles city?

Raffles City (didn't realise it had expanded)

the burgers are pretty thick -


Hence the obvious bullshittyness of their comment to me. In fact it doens't matter how thick the patty is, if you want to cook it medium rare it is not a challenge.


a bit like half the posters on here -

Thick and well-done bwahahaha...

and they'll gladly cook it medium rare if you ask nicely.

Nope, not when I asked nicely.

Maybe your accent threw them off?!

If they can't understand my accentless English then good luck to them!


OK, as an alternative; did I mention my cats like Mcd's quarter pounders, especially when I feed them on the table?! Maybe that's a good QC test as they normally reject the fillet of fish and chicken nuggets

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Fri, 02 Mar 2012 10:11 pm

It's simply vulgar! :P :wink:

User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010
Location: My laptop

Postby BillyB » Fri, 02 Mar 2012 10:17 pm

JR8 wrote:It's simply vulgar! :P :wink:


GF's choice - on both fronts... ;-)

User avatar
BigSis
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat, 17 Apr 2010

Postby BigSis » Fri, 02 Mar 2012 11:09 pm

hmmm, handburger - not sure about them, they did one of my kids a chicken burger and it was still raw in the middle.............I know you can have a beefburger medium rare, but never had that with a chicken burger before.

A fad that may be a little slow to catch on.

@ Scarbowl - agree on the Botak burger. they reckon they cook it fresh and how you order it but mine was cold in the middle and not pink - microwaved 5 hours earlier and thrown on the grill for effect was not how I ordered it.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Wine & Dine”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest