Singapore Expats

Working as a musician

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.
Post Reply
missorange
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 3:17 am
Location: UK

Working as a musician

Post by missorange » Wed, 19 Oct 2011 4:27 pm

Hello helpful people. I am moving with my partner to Singapore next year-his company have a post for him there. I am a singer, and obviously don't want to give this up. In the UK often venues pay cash in hand....how would I legally work as a singer in Singapore, just doing to occassional gig?
Any advice gratefully taken on board. Thanks! :)
Hayley

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 40452
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 21
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 19 Oct 2011 6:16 pm

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

User avatar
poodlek
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 878
Joined: Mon, 10 May 2010 3:48 pm
Location: Taipa, Macau
Contact:

Post by poodlek » Thu, 20 Oct 2011 10:59 am

I have a friend who has a PEP which allows him to work his regular job (as a musician, performing 5 days/wk same gig) plus do some extra gigs on the side. Maybe if you're only looking to do here and there type work you should get your foot in the door as a teacher at a music school or something.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9817
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 5:18 pm

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 20 Oct 2011 1:06 pm

poodlek wrote:I have a friend who has a PEP which allows him to work his regular job (as a musician, performing 5 days/wk same gig) plus do some extra gigs on the side. Maybe if you're only looking to do here and there type work you should get your foot in the door as a teacher at a music school or something.
Does his PEP allow him to moonlight (sorry that's a real question .. )

As to the OP, DONT APPLY AS A PERFORMING ARTIST

The permit is very restrictive, and you must exit after 6 months, and .. must stay away for the next six months.

And, on the other hand, if you come in on a DP, then I could possibly refer some outlets, for your advice, who can engage you ..

User avatar
poodlek
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 878
Joined: Mon, 10 May 2010 3:48 pm
Location: Taipa, Macau
Contact:

Post by poodlek » Thu, 20 Oct 2011 3:10 pm

ecureilx wrote:
poodlek wrote:I have a friend who has a PEP which allows him to work his regular job (as a musician, performing 5 days/wk same gig) plus do some extra gigs on the side. Maybe if you're only looking to do here and there type work you should get your foot in the door as a teacher at a music school or something.
Does his PEP allow him to moonlight (sorry that's a real question .. )

As to the OP, DONT APPLY AS A PERFORMING ARTIST

The permit is very restrictive, and you must exit after 6 months, and .. must stay away for the next six months.

And, on the other hand, if you come in on a DP, then I could possibly refer some outlets, for your advice, who can engage you ..
Yes, that's why he got it I believe. He had a valid work pass for his original job and changed it to a PEP so he could moonlight, as you say.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9817
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 5:18 pm

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 20 Oct 2011 3:15 pm

poodlek wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
poodlek wrote:I have a friend who has a PEP which allows him to work his regular job (as a musician, performing 5 days/wk same gig) plus do some extra gigs on the side. Maybe if you're only looking to do here and there type work you should get your foot in the door as a teacher at a music school or something.
Does his PEP allow him to moonlight (sorry that's a real question .. )

As to the OP, DONT APPLY AS A PERFORMING ARTIST

The permit is very restrictive, and you must exit after 6 months, and .. must stay away for the next six months.

And, on the other hand, if you come in on a DP, then I could possibly refer some outlets, for your advice, who can engage you ..
Yes, that's why he got it I believe. He had a valid work pass for his original job and changed it to a PEP so he could moonlight, as you say.
You missed something .. I am asking if PEP allows moonlighting .. as strictly EP/WP/SP and all forbid moonlighting

on the other hand, if he claimed he was not paid, it is different ..

User avatar
poodlek
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 878
Joined: Mon, 10 May 2010 3:48 pm
Location: Taipa, Macau
Contact:

Post by poodlek » Thu, 20 Oct 2011 3:28 pm

And I am Replying that as far as I know, yes, his PEP allows this, otherwise he would not have bothered to change his pass!

User avatar
Saint
Director
Director
Posts: 3505
Joined: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 5:19 pm
Location: The Juban Stand, Boat Quay
Contact:

Post by Saint » Thu, 20 Oct 2011 3:32 pm

ecureilx wrote:
poodlek wrote:
ecureilx wrote: Does his PEP allow him to moonlight (sorry that's a real question .. )

As to the OP, DONT APPLY AS A PERFORMING ARTIST

The permit is very restrictive, and you must exit after 6 months, and .. must stay away for the next six months.

And, on the other hand, if you come in on a DP, then I could possibly refer some outlets, for your advice, who can engage you ..
Yes, that's why he got it I believe. He had a valid work pass for his original job and changed it to a PEP so he could moonlight, as you say.
You missed something .. I am asking if PEP allows moonlighting .. as strictly EP/WP/SP and all forbid moonlighting

on the other hand, if he claimed he was not paid, it is different ..
PEP holders are allowed to have more than one job

x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10073
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by x9200 » Thu, 20 Oct 2011 3:40 pm

ecureilx wrote: You missed something .. I am asking if PEP allows moonlighting .. as strictly EP/WP/SP and all forbid moonlighting

on the other hand, if he claimed he was not paid, it is different ..
PEP does not bind you to any employer.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9817
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 5:18 pm

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 20 Oct 2011 3:51 pm

Saint wrote:PEP holders are allowed to have more than one job
That is news to me .. you mean, they can do multiple jobs, a-la PR / Citizens ? Except of course, driving taxis ..

I learnt something new today :)

x9200: I was under the impression that, under PEP, a person can only have ONE JOB !!! not multiple jobs, moonlight .. etc.

User avatar
Saint
Director
Director
Posts: 3505
Joined: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 5:19 pm
Location: The Juban Stand, Boat Quay
Contact:

Post by Saint » Thu, 20 Oct 2011 3:56 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Saint wrote:PEP holders are allowed to have more than one job
That is news to me .. you mean, they can do multiple jobs, a-la PR / Citizens ? Except of course, driving taxis ..

I learnt something new today :)

x9200: I was under the impression that, under PEP, a person can only have ONE JOB !!! not multiple jobs, moonlight .. etc.
As long as you notify the MOM of all the jobs you have then it's fine

x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10073
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by x9200 » Thu, 20 Oct 2011 4:08 pm

ecureilx, take a look inside (Part III):
http://www.mom.gov.sg/Documents/service ... Holder.pdf

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9817
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 5:18 pm

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 20 Oct 2011 4:18 pm

x9200 wrote:ecureilx, take a look inside (Part III):
http://www.mom.gov.sg/Documents/service ... Holder.pdf
Yah, but, it is a bit vague if the PEP holder can, for example, work as a dish-washer, part time driver for tai-tais, male dancer/escort, or my oft quoted example - make Curry in Indian restaurant .. :)

I'm asking out of my curiousity only .. no offence ..

User avatar
Saint
Director
Director
Posts: 3505
Joined: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 5:19 pm
Location: The Juban Stand, Boat Quay
Contact:

Post by Saint » Thu, 20 Oct 2011 4:24 pm

ecureilx wrote:
x9200 wrote:ecureilx, take a look inside (Part III):
http://www.mom.gov.sg/Documents/service ... Holder.pdf
Yah, but, it is a bit vague if the PEP holder can, for example, work as a dish-washer, part time driver for tai-tais, male dancer/escort, or my oft quoted example - make Curry in Indian restaurant .. :)

I'm asking out of my curiousity only .. no offence ..
Your question was whether a PEP holder can have multiple jobs, the answer is yes if you inform the MOM

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9817
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 5:18 pm

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 20 Oct 2011 4:33 pm

Saint wrote:Your question was whether a PEP holder can have multiple jobs, the answer is yes if you inform the MOM
Ok, rephrased :D :D

Can PEP holders do multiple jobs, related and unrelated to their vocation based on which their got their PEP ?

Say, IT guys, can they part time as waiters ? Or Hosts ? or .. drivers ? or ... :D :D

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests