Singapore Expats Forum

Speak Good English Campaign

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Re: Just saying...

Postby nakatago » Wed, 14 Dec 2011 10:12 am

farlene wrote:The issue arises when some Singaporeans are unable to distinguish when they should stop Singlish and start speaking English.


THIS.

I hate it when I know I'm speaking English and the Singlish-speaking person tells me why not use English in the first place. :x

(Not to any one person in particular) Keep your Singlish as long as you want but please at least be honest enough to realize that Singlish is not English.

User avatar
farlene
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 195
Joined: Sun, 20 Jul 2008
Location: Singapore

Re: Just saying...

Postby farlene » Wed, 14 Dec 2011 10:27 am

Please don't get me wrong, it was never my intention to imply that Singlish is English.

What I meant was when and where necessary, Singlish stops and English begins i.e when conversing with foreigners / tourists.

In any case, Singlish is not forced on anyone. Like I said, it's a like "dialect" for us Singaporeans.



nakatago wrote:
farlene wrote:The issue arises when some Singaporeans are unable to distinguish when they should stop Singlish and start speaking English.


THIS.

I hate it when I know I'm speaking English and the Singlish-speaking person tells me why not use English in the first place. :x

(Not to any one person in particular) Keep your Singlish as long as you want but please at least be honest enough to realize that Singlish is not English.

User avatar
mummy mantras
Regular
Regular
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon, 21 Mar 2011

Re: Just saying...

Postby mummy mantras » Wed, 14 Dec 2011 1:45 pm

farlene wrote:Please don't get me wrong, it was never my intention to imply that Singlish is English.

nakatago wrote:I hate it when I know I'm speaking English and the Singlish-speaking person tells me why not use English in the first place. :x



Farlene,

I don't think that Nakatago thinks that you have this problem. :console:

You are clearly a highly educated person and can make a distinction between Singlish and English. It is also very likely that you are capable of effectively code-switching (i.e. using Singlish when conversing with fellow Singaporeans and using Standard English when conversing with non-Singaporeans). :D

I think that Nakatago is trying to make the point that (sadly) most (but of course, not all) Singaporeans simply can't make the distinction.

They believe that Singlish is Standard English and, for that reason, are incapable of even recognising Standard English when someone uses it. So, for example, when Nakatago speaks in Standard English only to be told that she is not by someone speaking Singlish, this is understandably irritating. :roll:

Of course, in any society, there will always be people whose communication is confined to variants (and even sub-variants) of a language. They cannot help it. They were raised to speak that way, and were not taught or possibly exposed to any other means of communication. Also, their social circumstances may mean that they are continually limited to using that language variant. :cry:

This means (in plain and simple English), there will always be Singaporeans who only know and are capable of communicating in Singlish. However, what is alarming is not their inability to use Standard English (this is after all, no fault of their own) but their lack of awareness that the language variant they are using is not Standard English. #-o

This is the problem. Not the existence (or otherwise) or Singlish. [-o<

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Wed, 14 Dec 2011 1:50 pm

1. What she said.
2. I'm a dude.

User avatar
mummy mantras
Regular
Regular
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon, 21 Mar 2011

Postby mummy mantras » Wed, 14 Dec 2011 4:07 pm

nakatago wrote:2. I'm a dude.


Really? :-k

:D :D :D

User avatar
farlene
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 195
Joined: Sun, 20 Jul 2008
Location: Singapore

Postby farlene » Wed, 14 Dec 2011 4:16 pm

1. :???: No offence taken. We're discussing... No, i'm not highly educated but thanks though. :D
2. yes he's a dude... Only a dude could suggest bringing up Blade to kill Edward Cullen. Like that's really necessary... :mad:

User avatar
farlene
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 195
Joined: Sun, 20 Jul 2008
Location: Singapore

Postby farlene » Thu, 15 Dec 2011 8:52 am

The Govt should spend more time pushing the Courtesy Campaign and less speak english campaign.

Most Singaporeans have no freaking manners and it just annoys the crap out of me! A simple "Thank you" for holding the door open is not that difficult! :x

Before you SGPs say anything please note I'M SINGAPOREAN!!!

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Thu, 15 Dec 2011 9:35 am

farlene wrote:The Govt should spend more time pushing the Courtesy Campaign and less speak english campaign.

Most Singaporeans have no freaking manners and it just annoys the crap out of me! A simple "Thank you" for holding the door open is not that difficult! :x

Before you SGPs say anything please note I'M SINGAPOREAN!!!


Hey, you're the one who can "vote."*

* democracy in Singapore--crazy, I know.

User avatar
farlene
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 195
Joined: Sun, 20 Jul 2008
Location: Singapore

Postby farlene » Thu, 15 Dec 2011 9:42 am

it has nothing to do with voting la... and regardless of who runs the show, they should seriously push the Courtesy campaign.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35160
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 15 Dec 2011 9:49 am

farlene, they've been running the courtesy campaigns for as long as I've been here (and possibly as long as you've been alive - I don't know your age) plus a couple (33 or 34 years now - I've been here 30!). All with negligible results. This leads me to think, after 2 generations of kids brought up with the campaigns, that it IS a genetic defect and Singaporeans are incapable of learning simple courtesies. (of course, there are genetic aberrations out there who are courteous like yourself & my wife) but they are far overshadowed by the majority.

But like all campaigns, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make 'em drink.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5272
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Thu, 15 Dec 2011 9:58 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:But like all campaigns, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make 'em drink.


At worst, the horse probably poops into the water instead :-|

User avatar
farlene
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 195
Joined: Sun, 20 Jul 2008
Location: Singapore

Postby farlene » Thu, 15 Dec 2011 10:30 am

It's really sad and I'm really going to need that headblade if my son grows to be an inconsiderable sh**ck!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35160
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 15 Dec 2011 10:53 am

:lol:

User avatar
farlene
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 195
Joined: Sun, 20 Jul 2008
Location: Singapore

Postby farlene » Thu, 15 Dec 2011 3:01 pm

It's either "annoy Farlene day" or i'm just really really bitchy today.

User avatar
Vaucluse
Director
Director
Posts: 3443
Joined: Sun, 10 Jul 2005

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 20 Dec 2011 3:21 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:farlene, they've been running the courtesy campaigns for as long as I've been here (and possibly as long as you've been alive - I don't know your age) plus a couple (33 or 34 years now - I've been here 30!). All with negligible results. This leads me to think, after 2 generations of kids brought up with the campaigns, that it IS a genetic defect and Singaporeans are incapable of learning simple courtesies. (of course, there are genetic aberrations out there who are courteous like yourself & my wife) but they are far overshadowed by the majority.

But like all campaigns, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make 'em drink.


If I may add my 0.02 cents worth, or sen as the case may be.

Ok, imagine there never was a courtesy campaign . . . Singapore would be inhabited by people who act like mainland Chinese . . .

Keep the campaign going!!!!!
......................................................

'nuff said Image


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests