Singapore Expats Forum

How to work in Singapore?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
hanabie

How to work in Singapore?

Postby hanabie » Tue, 18 Oct 2011 3:34 am

Hi there,

I'm currently living in the United States as an International Student. I'm a mechanical engineer graduated from a reputable university. My school is not an ivy league school but it is ranked top 10 best engineering program in the nation. I only have 2.7 GPA which is very low. However, I have passed Fundamental of Engineering exam which will be used to apply professional engineer license later on. I hope that helps to increase my opportunity.

I have been working full time for almost 6 months in US as an engineer intern. However, I don't really feel that this will be my dream job. I have almost zero chance for big companies in US. So I have decided to move to Singapore to find a better employer.

Anyway, I'm very interested in working in Singapore. I want to know where I should start. Please help. Thank you.

1. Should I apply LPR first? what is the chance of getting one? slim?
2. any other way?

my parents lives in Indo. That's also a reason I'm coming back.

hanabie

Postby hanabie » Tue, 18 Oct 2011 4:22 am

Should I apply EPEC first? When will be the best time to apply? 6 months before coming to SG? Do I have to apply for LVPT after EPEC is approved?
I'm not really interested of getting any PR status. I just want to work and get some good experience. My current interest is working under very experienced engineers especially in equipments for petroleum business.

I got a job offer in Singapore. The company's name is KSenergy. However I rejected because the salary did not make sense at all. I can not survive. I love the jobs description but just not the salary.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Tue, 18 Oct 2011 5:05 am

You need to do MASTER, then you power candidate ah

medcheckonsat

Re: How to work in Singapore?

Postby medcheckonsat » Tue, 18 Oct 2011 8:28 am

hanabie wrote: I have almost zero chance for big companies in US. So I have decided to move to Singapore to find a better employer.

so basically Singapore is your spare tire ? :-|

Regarding to your question, SMC has suspended new LPR application for the time being (you might want to double check on this). Also you said you are not interested in PR anyway, so let's save it for someone who really wants it okay :wink:

so what i can think of is:
1. apply EPEC (if you are eligible)
2. apply LTVP
3. come to singapore to find a job
4. if you manage to secure interview and the job, employer apply work pass for you
5. work pass accepted, start working

or

1. apply from overseas
2. if you manage to secure interview and the job, employer apply work pass for you
3. work pass accepted, start working

or

as man above me said, do MASTER 8-) 8-) 8-)
Smokers never grow old, they die young :D

hanabie

Postby hanabie » Tue, 18 Oct 2011 9:31 am

Singapore is definitely not a spare tire to me. However, it's very rare and close to impossible nowdays to find a company who is willing to sponsor a work visa H1B in US unless many years experience.

I have gone thru many interviews, and my rejection was due to non green card holder or non citizen. It is very frustrating. I'm now working for a chinese company based in US. However, I do everything on my own. :(

I'm saving money for master degree as well. Let's say after I finish my master, what should I do?

Thank you very much for your fast response :D

hanabie

Postby hanabie » Tue, 18 Oct 2011 10:00 am

which is the best website to search for jobs in singapore? Please I don't wanna go thru headhunter. They don't even bother to look at my resume because my address is in US =/

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 18 Oct 2011 11:02 am

hanabie wrote:Singapore is definitely not a spare tire to me. However, it's very rare and close to impossible nowdays to find a company who is willing to sponsor a work visa H1B in US unless many years experience.

Unless you have several years experience, you'll not get a job here either. As already noted, the LPR program has been suspended and the EPEC is getting harder and harder to get as well. Additionally, having the EPEC is only going to guarantee you won't be rejected due to qualifications. It doesn't say you won't be due to lack of experience as they will want the employer to explain why they would want to hire a foreigner without experience because it's easier to hire an inexperienced local.

I'm afraid you're barking up the wrong tree here. You'll not get a job in Singapore in the near future, I don't believe.

But don't let that stop you from spending heaps of money trying......

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 18 Oct 2011 11:03 am

hanabie wrote:which is the best website to search for jobs in singapore? Please I don't wanna go thru headhunter. They don't even bother to look at my resume because my address is in US =/

They don't wanna look at your CV because you have no experience and they know that they cannot place you because of that.......