Singapore Expats Forum

LTVP problem for my wife

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
sgmrtbuilder

LTVP problem for my wife

Postby sgmrtbuilder » Mon, 17 Oct 2011 11:38 am

Guys - some advice would be appreciated.

Me & my wife got married here in May 2011. After 4 x LTVP applications & an Appeal - all have been rejected with no reason given by ICA.

I am a SPR since 2003 & have been building MRT here since 1996. I just wanted my wife to stay here with me & no one i talk to can understand why my LTVP for my wife is always being rejected.

Any advice ?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 17 Oct 2011 12:56 pm

Is your wife Asian? If so, until you've been married around two years, I'm afraid they are looking at it as a marriage of convenience. The only other reason I can think of is the possibility that she has worked in Singapore on a Work Permit at some time in her past. If this is the case and she didn't get permission from MOM to marry, you will probably never get an LTVP for her.

sgmrtbuilder

Postby sgmrtbuilder » Mon, 17 Oct 2011 1:19 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Is your wife Asian? If so, until you've been married around two years, I'm afraid they are looking at it as a marriage of convenience. The only other reason I can think of is the possibility that she has worked in Singapore on a Work Permit at some time in her past. If this is the case and she didn't get permission from MOM to marry, you will probably never get an LTVP for her.

Hi - my wife is Asian & I am British. We got married at RoM here after dating for 4 years. She has never worked here before & is a Banking Graduate.

Surely for just staying here & not working, a LTVP could be considered ??

AndrewV
Chatter
Chatter

Postby AndrewV » Mon, 17 Oct 2011 1:44 pm

very sorry to hear about your predicament.

another possible reason is, could your wife have a criminal record of some kind? or known to have been associated with some kind of protest ( i remember a couple of years back, some burmese tried to protest the junta here)

sgmrtbuilder

Postby sgmrtbuilder » Mon, 17 Oct 2011 1:50 pm

AndrewV wrote:very sorry to hear about your predicament.

another possible reason is, could your wife have a criminal record of some kind? or known to have been associated with some kind of protest ( i remember a couple of years back, some burmese tried to protest the junta here)

It's a very sad situation to be honest. My wife has no criminal record & isn't into politics so there's definitely no political rally's etc. All i want is for her to be allowed to stay here with me (& not even working) but it all seems very futile.

I've now applied for the 5th time today but i'm not very hopeful. I spoke to an ICA officer in person too when i appealed last month & she refused to tell me the reason behind the rejections - it's all very strange.........

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 17 Oct 2011 2:19 pm

It's not strange at all, if ICA divulged all their reasons, then they would start getting tailor-made applications. But if she has no criminal record, no previous work history, then it sure sounds like they feel that it's a marriage of convenience especially as you've only been married 5 months.

I am curious how you met your wife though. Did you meet her here in Singapore? How long had she been here? How was she staying here. Was she a student? Or, was she entering & leaving & entering & leaving?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Mon, 17 Oct 2011 2:23 pm

sgmrtbuilder wrote:I've now applied for the 5th time today but i'm not very hopeful. I spoke to an ICA officer in person too when i appealed last month & she refused to tell me the reason behind the rejections - it's all very strange.........

Nothing strange, if you have been here for so long, you should know that.

Well, you can only appeal, or enrol her in a local course, and hope for the best ..

PS: SMS has added some more possible reasons .. which you may need to think through ..

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Mon, 17 Oct 2011 2:26 pm

sgmrtbuilder wrote:We got married at RoM here after dating for 4 years. She has never worked here before & is a Banking Graduate.

A tongue in cheek question: did you get married on July 28th ?? :D :D

lostworld

Postby lostworld » Mon, 17 Oct 2011 2:32 pm

its coming year end...probably they have reach this year quota.

sgmrtbuilder

Postby sgmrtbuilder » Mon, 17 Oct 2011 2:33 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:It's not strange at all, if ICA divulged all their reasons, then they would start getting tailor-made applications. But if she has no criminal record, no previous work history, then it sure sounds like they feel that it's a marriage of convenience especially as you've only been married 5 months.

I am curious how you met your wife though. Did you meet her here in Singapore? How long had she been here? How was she staying here. Was she a student? Or, was she entering & leaving & entering & leaving?

Met in her country 4 yrs ago - she has never been here until April this year & has been on short term visa since then while all the LTVP applications were being submitted by me. We got married at RoM. I guess this 'marriage of convenience' thing must be the reason - but why don't ICA tell you the reason for the rejections ?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 17 Oct 2011 2:41 pm

Lots of applications are tailor made for acceptance (so they think). Therefore, ICA does not list their reasons. Actually, US immigration officers do not divulge their reasons either (I used to work very closely with the US Immigration & Naturalization service in the late '80's, early 90's resettling VN refugees)

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Mon, 17 Oct 2011 2:45 pm

OP, Not sure if I can but anyway here goes PM me and I will try to point you the way
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

sgmrtbuilder

Postby sgmrtbuilder » Mon, 17 Oct 2011 2:46 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Lots of applications are tailor made for acceptance (so they think). Therefore, ICA does not list their reasons. Actually, US immigration officers do not divulge their reasons either (I used to work very closely with the US Immigration & Naturalization service in the late '80's, early 90's resettling VN refugees)

Thanks for your views - so i guess i must keep on trying the LTVP applications then; seems i have no choice.......i even emailed the PM but got no reply yet & that was over a week ago now......

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Mon, 17 Oct 2011 2:46 pm

sgmrtbuilder wrote:Met in her country 4 yrs ago - she has never been here until April this year & has been on short term visa since then while all the LTVP applications were being submitted by me. We got married at RoM. I guess this 'marriage of convenience' thing must be the reason - but why don't ICA tell you the reason for the rejections ?

Bingo, I'm pretty sure this is the reason.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Mon, 17 Oct 2011 3:05 pm

sgmrtbuilder wrote:Met in her country 4 yrs ago - she has never been here until April this year & has been on short term visa since then while all the LTVP applications were being submitted by me. We got married at RoM. I guess this 'marriage of convenience' thing must be the reason - but why don't ICA tell you the reason for the rejections ?

Which country is she from ??

Not a given, but from what I am hearing, from my work colleagues, as well as at church, certain countries LTVP/PR are being rejected en-mass ..