Singapore Expats Forum

Plan of action upon arrival

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:
Image
The Club Residences

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35122
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 17 Oct 2011 10:17 am

No, just getting old and my fingers can no longer keep up with my brain (both are slowing down) so I often don't finish words. :oops:

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11061
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 17 Oct 2011 12:17 pm

conversant wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:Recruiters are pretty worthless. You would be better off compiling a list of MNC's with offices in Singapore, then going to each respective website to see what jobs are available. You will have a difficult time trying to hook up with a local firm.


Do you mean recruiters are not as much help unless you are a PR or citizen?


No, I mean they are pretty much worthless for anyone. They advertise fake jobs to collect CV's (and they will never respond to your enquiry) so that they can push a bunch of resumes across company's HR desk in the hopes that one of them will stick.

In spite of providing detailed specs to one firm, they kept sending me totally unqualified people.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35122
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 17 Oct 2011 2:07 pm

Having work in that industry for the better part of a decade, I can also vouch for SE's comments. The industry here is pretty damned crappy as far as work practices go. This is what happens when there are laws to prevent recruiters from charging job seekers recruitment fees. This reduces the job seeker to not much more than seasonal fruit on the shelves, with a very short shelf life (3 months max). Most recruiters use the shotgun method of recruitment. They will flood their clients with a bunch of CVs, as SE mentioned, in the hopes that maybe a couple will tick enough boxes to get an interview and one gets hired.

But it's not entirely the recruiter's fault either. MOM has to shoulder her share of the blame as she's the one who issues recruitment agency licenses. Currently, I believe there are over 1300 licenses recruitment agencies in Singapore (with a population of 5.2 million). Bit of an overload. And, if that's not bad enough, most job applicants don't target specific industry/specialist recruiters, but instead flood all the agencies with their CV's.

The law here, as normally interpreted, is like the election process. First past the post. And, last but not least, a high number of the larger recruiters do not give out exclusive recruitment contracts to a single recruitment firm, but also use the shotgun method, shopping the JD out to as many as a dozen or more agencies. This means the agency has to have the CV's timestamped earlier than the other agencies in order to "claim" the right to the fees. In the case of a dispute, the date/time of the client received the CV will determine who gets the fee, even if several agencies sent in the same CV and the interview was set up through another agency (same CV should have had the same response from the HR practitioner, but being a small country, probably has a kaki in a different company so called the kaki instead).

So, we have unprofessional Agencies, unprofessional HR departments in companies and job seekers using mass mailing programs to flood all the agencies, looking for work, willy-nilly all over the place. That's why I no longer recruit for firms located in Singapore (MNC or SME - their HR Depts are run usually by locals). As I've given up my license, I cannot place Singaporeans anywhere as well (Doesn't hurt me one bit as that way I don't get stuck paying back commission when they leave the job after a month or two because they found a job offering $50 more or 5 minutes closer to their house. :roll:

conversant
Regular
Regular
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon, 13 Jul 2009

Postby conversant » Tue, 18 Oct 2011 8:12 am

carteki wrote:As a non-resident (ie no right to live in SG) you CAN open an OFFSHORE account with any of the banks. The fact that you're physically present in Singapore at the time is immaterial. You will probably need an overseas address and proof of residence and a sum to deposit.


Umm... Tarzan like!:)


beppi wrote:2. DBS/POSB requires a recommendation letter from an existing customer (who has no responsibilities out of this) for a foreigner wanting to open an account. Just ask any of your friends to write it.
Last time I wrote one, my friend didn't receive it before his departure to Singapore, so he walked into a DBS/POSB branch empty-handed and still got an account after some discussion. So it is possible!


I'll have to try that and report back. Thanks!:)


sundaymorningstaple wrote:So, we have unprofessional Agencies, unprofessional HR departments in companies and job seekers using mass mailing programs to flood all the agencies, looking for work, willy-nilly all over the place. That's why I no longer recruit for firms located in Singapore (MNC or SME - their HR Depts are run usually by locals). As I've given up my license, I cannot place Singaporeans anywhere as well (Doesn't hurt me one bit as that way I don't get stuck paying back commission when they leave the job after a month or two because they found a job offering $50 more or 5 minutes closer to their house. :roll:


This gives some much needed insight into the whole behind the scenes process of getting hired. Thanks!

So, it seems like it's a shot in the dark going via a recruiter!:( I suppose the plan of action just has to be to avoid them, go directly to MNC's, and hope for the best!




Well, I'm at T-1. Gotta fly tomorrow to SG. Excited and a bit nervous!:) Just did the online check-in.

Also, got a PM from someone replying to this thread saying that since everyone just sticks to their jobs for the upcoming bonus, there is less of a chance of getting one in the next 2-3 months. :(

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35122
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 18 Oct 2011 9:31 am

conversant wrote:Also, got a PM from someone replying to this thread saying that since everyone just sticks to their jobs for the upcoming bonus, there is less of a chance of getting one in the next 2-3 months. :(


Which I also mentioned in the last day or so on another thread as well.....

conversant
Regular
Regular
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon, 13 Jul 2009

Postby conversant » Tue, 18 Oct 2011 9:34 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
conversant wrote:Also, got a PM from someone replying to this thread saying that since everyone just sticks to their jobs for the upcoming bonus, there is less of a chance of getting one in the next 2-3 months. :(


Which I also mentioned in the last day or so on another thread as well.....


This doesn't mean it's impossible. Does it?[/b]

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35122
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 18 Oct 2011 10:57 am

No, it's NOT impossible but you have to keep it in the back of your mind so you don't get discouraged. If you know the lack of positions is due to that fact then the drought will be more easily understandable. Our premise is based on people moving, but does not factor in other reasons like terminations, etc.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 18 Oct 2011 11:05 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:No, it's NOT impossible but you have to keep it in the back of your mind so you don't get discouraged. If you know the lack of positions is due to that fact then the drought will be more easily understandable. Our premise is based on people moving, but does not factor in other reasons like terminations, etc.


And contract jobs do come up for renewal .. Look at Jobstreet, at this time of the year, 9 out of 10 jobs are contract renewals ... :)

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Tue, 18 Oct 2011 11:24 am

carteki wrote:As a non-resident (ie no right to live in SG) you CAN open an OFFSHORE account with any of the banks. The fact that you're physically present in Singapore at the time is immaterial. You will probably need an overseas address and proof of residence and a sum to deposit.


Hmmm... I was just reading an article about how easy it is to open an 'offshore' [i.e. from abroad] bank account with SGn banks, even simply by post. OCBC being much trumpeted.

But then I was looking at the OCBC site and it says that foreigners have to provide copy of WP/EP.

Hmmm....?

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 18 Oct 2011 11:27 am

JR8 wrote:
carteki wrote:As a non-resident (ie no right to live in SG) you CAN open an OFFSHORE account with any of the banks. The fact that you're physically present in Singapore at the time is immaterial. You will probably need an overseas address and proof of residence and a sum to deposit.


Hmmm... I was just reading an article about how easy it is to open an 'offshore' [i.e. from abroad] bank account with SGn banks, even simply by post. OCBC being much trumpeted.

But then I was looking at the OCBC site and it says that foreigners have to provide copy of WP/EP.

Hmmm....?


I am not going to say how, but .. HSBC, RBS, Citi and all foreign banks have enough and more 'overseas' accounts :) without even a local address ..

Locals banks- so far, you need a local address

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Tue, 18 Oct 2011 11:33 am

ecureilx wrote:
JR8 wrote:
carteki wrote:As a non-resident (ie no right to live in SG) you CAN open an OFFSHORE account with any of the banks. The fact that you're physically present in Singapore at the time is immaterial. You will probably need an overseas address and proof of residence and a sum to deposit.


Hmmm... I was just reading an article about how easy it is to open an 'offshore' [i.e. from abroad] bank account with SGn banks, even simply by post. OCBC being much trumpeted.

But then I was looking at the OCBC site and it says that foreigners have to provide copy of WP/EP.

Hmmm....?


I am not going to say how, but .. HSBC, RBS, Citi and all foreign banks have enough and more 'overseas' accounts :) without even a local address ..

A scalper, a bankrupt, and a mega-yank. No thanks lol.

Locals banks- so far, you need a local address

That would be no problem for me. But you're wrong. you need a WP/EP.


User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6841
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Tue, 18 Oct 2011 1:47 pm

conversant wrote:
carteki wrote:As a non-resident (ie no right to live in SG) you CAN open an OFFSHORE account with any of the banks. The fact that you're physically present in Singapore at the time is immaterial. You will probably need an overseas address and proof of residence and a sum to deposit.

Umm... Tarzan like!:)


If you have a US address to use, you can open an HSBC US or Citibank US account online from their site. They'll even take your credit card to fund the initial deposit.

As I mentioned either before or in a different thread on this, if you plan to use HSBC to link to HSBC SG, and you don't want to pay a fee to move money between accounts, you need a Premier account. Or you need to go to Citibank. if you have enough money to fund an HSBC Premier account, you can probably afford to have someone read this thread for you. (Or maybe you're newyorkmom's husband)

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 18 Oct 2011 2:11 pm

JR8 wrote:I am not going to say how, but .. HSBC, RBS, Citi and all foreign banks have enough and more 'overseas' accounts :) without even a local address ..

A scalper, a bankrupt, and a mega-yank. No thanks lol.


:D :D

As for the EP/WP thing, you are right ... as of now, all the banks now insist on it, unlike a few years ago, when atleast UOB was lenient ..

conversant
Regular
Regular
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon, 13 Jul 2009

Postby conversant » Thu, 20 Oct 2011 9:28 pm

Sorry, was preparing to travel to SG and just got in yesterday. Didn't mean to drop off the radar there!:)

zzm9980 wrote:
conversant wrote:
carteki wrote:As a non-resident (ie no right to live in SG) you CAN open an OFFSHORE account with any of the banks. The fact that you're physically present in Singapore at the time is immaterial. You will probably need an overseas address and proof of residence and a sum to deposit.

Umm... Tarzan like!:)


If you have a US address to use, you can open an HSBC US or Citibank US account online from their site. They'll even take your credit card to fund the initial deposit.


From HSBC's Web site:

Required documents

1) Identity Card/Passport
2) Foreigners:
Proof of Singapore permanent address OR overseas residential address

Eligibility
Individuals (residents/non-residents) aged 21 and above
Minimum initial deposit of S$2,000

conversant
Regular
Regular
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon, 13 Jul 2009

Update on banking

Postby conversant » Sat, 22 Oct 2011 2:34 am

For the benefit of others, here's an update.
Went to DBS, UOB, and OCBC. The last one opened an account for me. :)

All of them said that even though the requirement for foreigners to open an account may be stated on their respective Web sites may be met, it is still subject to approval.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests