Singapore Expats Forum

PR Chance for my wife - housewife

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Mon, 09 Jan 2012 4:18 pm

voxies09 wrote:my friend once told me, when she applied her daughter after 3 months and rejected, the ICA officer told her that if she applied within 40 days after the child was born, the application will take about 2 months with good outcome.

So ICA told your friend that 90 days was too long, but 40 is OK? That's just odd.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 09 Jan 2012 5:45 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
voxies09 wrote:my friend once told me, when she applied her daughter after 3 months and rejected, the ICA officer told her that if she applied within 40 days after the child was born, the application will take about 2 months with good outcome.

So ICA told your friend that 90 days was too long, but 40 is OK? That's just odd.

Nope. That's the law.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Mon, 09 Jan 2012 7:59 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:

Nope. That's the law.

So what are the specifics on that, newborns born to PR get auto-PR within 40 days, anything after and it's a crapshoot like everyone else?

voxies09

Postby voxies09 » Mon, 09 Jan 2012 8:36 pm

zzm9980 wrote:So what are the specifics on that, newborns born to PR get auto-PR within 40 days, anything after and it's a crapshoot like everyone else?

well the truth is they rejected it.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 09 Jan 2012 8:42 pm

Yep. Same type of scenario if you are a Singaporean abroad and give birth. You have 12 months to register the birth as a Singapore Citizen by descent. I believe the time frame is new. I read a couple of years ago that is was 100 days but I might have been mistaken. After that, well, you takes your chances.....

http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid= ... as%20birth

disorderly

Postby disorderly » Tue, 10 Jan 2012 12:54 pm

zzm9980 wrote:So ICA told your friend that 90 days was too long, but 40 is OK? That's just odd.

Well, once a child is born to foreign parents (PR included) and registered, ICA will issue a special pass, valid for 42 days from DOB. If the child is to stay in Singapore beyond this limit, the stay of the child needs to be regularized, e.g. If parent is EP Holder, the child can apply for DP, or if parent is PR, the child can apply for PR or LTVP.

So I think the reason behind "90 days are too long" is that, ICA sees the parents as reluctant to apply PR for the child. If PR is applied within the 42 days, it would be seen that the parents "truly" want PR for the child.

My 2 cents.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Tue, 10 Jan 2012 3:23 pm

Ok, makes sense now that I know he had a 42 pass to do 'something' but didn't.

voxies09

Postby voxies09 » Wed, 11 Jan 2012 12:07 am

voxies09 wrote:I applied for my wife PR before my son born. But later on I applied for my son 2 weeks after he was born.

i did before 42 days.. but still it was rejected.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Wed, 11 Jan 2012 1:00 am

voxies09 wrote:i did before 42 days.. but still it was rejected.

Does this comprehensive walk-through of the process shed any light on your predicament?
http://raabad.blogspot.com/2010/08/newb ... -what.html

disorderly

Postby disorderly » Wed, 11 Jan 2012 10:05 am

voxies09 wrote:
voxies09 wrote:I applied for my wife PR before my son born. But later on I applied for my son 2 weeks after he was born.

i did before 42 days.. but still it was rejected.

I was referring to the comparison between 40 days and 90 days.
It's never been said that application within 42 days will guaranteed, definitely, 100% be approved.

x9200

Postby x9200 » Wed, 11 Jan 2012 11:35 am

singaporeflyer wrote:
voxies09 wrote:I applied my wife PR before my son born. But later on I applied for my son 2 weeks after he was born.

You applied for your son as a separate application? If you had applied for your son 2 weeks after he was born, it shows you are a bit desperate for PR. Sorry to say this.

Why not wait for a year and then apply for PR for him?

Let me disagree. This is IMHO the natural way to do this. If the OP is PR already what sense does it make to wait for 1y? One year will probably change nothing in the status (any field) of his son unless OP expects some changes in his own portfolio. And this may be a double edge sword sending a signal that the OP is going to make his son avoiding future NS obligations.
Waiting period serves normally one of the following:
- proving the intention of permanent stay
- upgrading someones status.

Anyway, we applied also a few week after our son was born and had it granted. And we were not desperate at all. To be frank, just opposite - perfectly happy with LTSVP he was also granted in the meantime.
This was what we did (~1y ago):
- registered the birth (within 3 days)
- applied for temporary passport (took a few days to get it)
- ICA granted a 90 days STVP stamped to the passport (this is what my nationality typically gets entering SG)
- applied for PR; upone filing the application ICA officer suggested to apply for LTSVP as the processing time was at least 4 months at this point according to her.
- applied for LTSVP and have it granted (2 weeks IIRC)
- PR for our son was granted within 4 months IIRC)

voxies09

Postby voxies09 » Wed, 11 Jan 2012 2:19 pm

thanks for all the reply.. I am applying my son LTSVP now for him to stay...

updated: received the letter, both my son and my wife applications was rejected.