Singapore Expats

Christians closer to Islam than Mormonism?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
boffenl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by boffenl » Wed, 12 Oct 2011 11:21 am

Sorry for the slanderous comment on Arthur C Clarke. My bad.

Battlefield: Earth was hilarious. Better when you're drinking and bordering on great when you're sloshed. One of the great drunk watching movies of all time! That brought back so many good memories, thanks.

Just the fact that money has to exchange hands makes me very uncomfortable--I hear it's the same with Mormon's too buying pews like Jewish people do at Temple/synagogue?

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Wed, 12 Oct 2011 11:28 am

boffenl wrote:
Just the fact that money has to exchange hands makes me very uncomfortable--I hear it's the same with Mormon's too buying pews like Jewish people do at Temple/synagogue?
Ah, the money thing . . . I guess if you look at priests, pastors, imams etc... as having a job then that is their payment.

When you look at the Catholic church as the world's largest private landowner . . . then it is quite another.

Grand monuments, be they synagogues, churches/cathedrals/mosques/surau/temple . . . that's just humans trying to show how faithful they are

'nuff said Image

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Wed, 12 Oct 2011 12:55 pm

To quote the late George Carlin

"Religion easily has the best bullshit story of all time. Think about it. Religion has convinced people that there's an invisible man . . . living in the sky. Who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of 10 specific things he doesn't want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer, and burn, and scream, until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you. He loves you and he needs money. He is all seeing all knowing and yet he can't seem to control money"