Singapore Expats

HP too hot

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
fatmouse76
Regular
Regular

HP too hot

Post by fatmouse76 » Sun, 09 Oct 2011 4:00 pm

Hii all, I bought a HP PAVILION DV6 now the left hand side of the keyboard gets very warm whereas the right hand side is cool. I have bought the fan to cool down the laptop but it doesnt help.
I called in to HP Customer Service and they told me to upgrade the BIOS, which I did. It doesnt help..has anyone got any idea whats wrong and how to rectify it ?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 09 Oct 2011 4:11 pm

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 09 Oct 2011 4:29 pm

Mine runs very hot as well. Shut itself down two times in an air conditioned room due to overheating. Then, had a disk failure.

I thought it was a fan issue but after reading SMS links I think it might be a design issue. Bummer.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 09 Oct 2011 7:29 pm

My daughter's HP notebook suffered from the nVidia debacle as well, as it's an integrated unit with the MB there was no way to correct it. She's be a MAC freak ever since (first a MacBook and now a MacAirbook).

I'm the dinosaur in the household as my son has a 24" iMac and my niece has my daughter's MacBook now.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

fatmouse76
Regular
Regular

Post by fatmouse76 » Tue, 11 Oct 2011 9:47 pm

Thanks so much ! I will try those links

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 11 Oct 2011 11:19 pm

fatmouse76 wrote:Thanks so much ! I will try those links
My new HP laptop was overheating, and I set 'cooling' in power scheme to 'active' .. problem lessened but persisted

And .. then I found out the root cause

The Windows backup job in Win 7 really goes to great lengths to save your data, and is constantly backing up, and in reality, loading the CPU/Heating it up, and effectively killing it ...

Disabled it and problem gone ..

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 12 Oct 2011 6:52 am

If you bothered to read the links provided you will find that problem the OP is experiencing is a known design flaw from nVidia and not one of processing profile...... :-|

It also affected other PC mfgrs as well like Dell & Apple who were using that particular chipset from nVidia.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 12 Oct 2011 8:23 am

ecureilx wrote: The Windows backup job in Win 7 really goes to great lengths to save your data, and is constantly backing up, and in reality, loading the CPU/Heating it up, and effectively killing it ...

Disabled it and problem gone ..
And if you switch the whole thing off it is even better and you also can save some energy. HP laptops have a long history of overheating issues with different models. This does not give them that sort of reputation one might want to have.

richie303
Chatter
Chatter

Post by richie303 » Wed, 12 Oct 2011 8:41 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote: If that doesn't hellp, then try here:

http://tinyurl.com/4y4dqw7
I love this, I have used this many times! ;)
Richie - East Coast Superbabe...

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 12 Oct 2011 10:08 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:If you bothered to read the links provided you will find that problem the OP is experiencing is a known design flaw from nVidia and not one of processing profile...... :-|

It also affected other PC mfgrs as well like Dell & Apple who were using that particular chipset from nVidia.
Could be .. but, also, on Win 7, the backup / active cooling also heats up other HP Laptops, including my HP Pro book 5320 :( :( and on HP it seems normal to hear the fan go into overdrive quite often, even with the cooling pads ..

I am a bit miffed if ALL NVIDIA chipsets are faulty ..

beenthere
Regular
Regular

Post by beenthere » Wed, 12 Oct 2011 3:06 pm

So I wasn't the only one. I had not one but 2 disk crashes and thankfully was still on warranty and was able to have it replaced here in Singapore. I have cleaned the unit number of times and have a fan blowing on it most of the time. Too bad the lemon law does not apply here.

I have a dv7 so can't get jack from NVIDIA.

And there is no good response from LMGTFY.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 12 Oct 2011 5:25 pm

beenthere wrote:So I wasn't the only one.

I have a dv7 so can't get jack from NVIDIA.

And there is no good response from LMGTFY.
Sure there was, you learned why and you learned you can't get jack. :-|

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 12 Oct 2011 5:31 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: Sure there was, you learned why and you learned you can't get jack. :-|
+1 (and no truer words could have been said .. )

ausinsg
Regular
Regular

Post by ausinsg » Fri, 14 Oct 2011 2:48 pm

Two macbook pro models also suffered from the NVidia fault. I experienced it happening a few months ago to a friend's computer.

The computer was running extremely hot during a photo shoot then went to "sleep" and would not recover. After spending half an hour in a wine cellar (literally a walk in coolroom in the house), it recovered! :) Only to die again half an hour later! :( and stay dead for another week.

Whilst running tests on it a week later, I found the computer worked but the display did not. VoiceOver was a great way to prove this. As are screen captures because they can show what is going on even without a display. Then the screen came back to life when I wanted to take it in for repair! Argh!

After research I found that Apple extended the warranty to 4 years for this fault, so I was able to get the motherboard replaced for free, and the computer (a 3.5 year old one) is running fine now.

Of course there were dramas trying to get tech support here not to charge to test the computer, but they can be worked around.

amuletheart

Post by amuletheart » Thu, 27 Oct 2011 10:37 pm

my HP dv4 gets very hot too. but its still working fine. i guess its because after it started getting super hot, i started using a cooler fan. those USB plug ones