Singapore Expats Forum

PR application rejected without reason or when to re-apply

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 07 Oct 2011 10:21 pm

Vaucluse wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
Vaucluse wrote:Flippie?

That's derogatory .. for Filipinos .. in case you didn't know ..

If you think it is then it must be so. Actually, that's not quite true . . .
I didn't mean it in a derogatory manner so I guess that makes you wrong in this case and before you start making comparisons to epithets I doubt many Flippies would find it derogatory . . . my maid doesn't. :)

I don't know about your maid or whether she really has heard the word, but, none of of my filipino friends will be happy with them being called 'flippies' or 'flips'

It is the same as some lesser educated filipinos calling Americans 'Joes' for which the lesser travelled americans smile and say 'hey thanks' but for the natives it don't mean anything even close to nice and it is far from Nice .. only those who have close filipino friends will know it is not a good thing, and will take offence to it .. the rest take it as a compliment, a-la "xiao ang moh" for which a lot of ang moh smile and say "thank you .. "

Never mind ..

over and out ..

An american friend of mine, who is a regular traveller for trekking and diving in Philippines, used to be called Joe, and his name really was Joe and he was happy that everybody knew his name .. until his Filipino Dive master, in front of me, explained that the strangers calling him so didn't mean anything close to nice...

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Fri, 07 Oct 2011 10:52 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Vaucluse wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
Vaucluse wrote:Flippie?

That's derogatory .. for Filipinos .. in case you didn't know ..

If you think it is then it must be so. Actually, that's not quite true . . .
I didn't mean it in a derogatory manner so I guess that makes you wrong in this case and before you start making comparisons to epithets I doubt many Flippies would find it derogatory . . . my maid doesn't. :)

I don't know about your maid or whether she really has heard the word, but, none of of my filipino friends will be happy with them being called 'flippies' or 'flips'

It is the same as some lesser educated filipinos calling Americans 'Joes' for which the lesser travelled americans smile and say 'hey thanks' but for the natives it don't mean anything even close to nice and it is far from Nice .. only those who have close filipino friends will know it is not a good thing, and will take offence to it .. the rest take it as a compliment, a-la "xiao ang moh" for which a lot of ang moh smile and say "thank you .. "

Never mind ..

over and out ..

An american friend of mine, who is a regular traveller for trekking and diving in Philippines, used to be called Joe, and his name really was Joe and he was happy that everybody knew his name .. until his Filipino Dive master, in front of me, explained that the strangers calling him so didn't mean anything close to nice...

You see . . . they're only words . . . only words.

It is what you make out of them that changes that fact.

'nuff said Image

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Sat, 08 Oct 2011 5:55 am

Vaucluse wrote:

Hey V !, I thought you are still in Thailand. The last time you said you will be there for good. ?

Anyway good to hear from you mate !!
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Sat, 08 Oct 2011 11:52 am

Mad Scientist wrote:
Vaucluse wrote:

Hey V !, I thought you are still in Thailand. The last time you said you will be there for good. ?

Anyway good to hear from you mate !!

Hello MS! :wave:

Thailand was just a step too far down the evolutionary scale in pretty much every way. We set up our factory in the south and two plants in the north-east and the people screwed themselves.

Malaysia is far better, but then I hear syphilis is better than herpes :roll:

As I mentioned to SMS, I think it is time to head somewhere - umm, how can I say this without offending the sensitive - ... I can't.

Yes, moving away. Possibly year after next . . . International Schools are generally crap and it is important to prep for Uni . . .

How's the Mad Scientification going?

'nuff said Image

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sun, 09 Oct 2011 2:26 am

Saint wrote:
nakatago wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:You obviously don't know our Vaucluse....... :P

:???: :???: should I redact my post ?? :( :(

No clue about Vaucluse ..

He's like JR8 but with a meaner streak.

And he's got a ugly side we sometime see!
and it's genetic :lol: :wink: Nice entrance V you can call me honky anytime :lol: !