Singapore Expats Forum

Asking for 90 days Social Visit Pass / Max Visa Run

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:
Image
The Club Residences

generalsu
Regular
Regular
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon, 26 Sep 2011

Asking for 90 days Social Visit Pass / Max Visa Run

Postby generalsu » Sat, 01 Oct 2011 12:44 am

My passport nationality allows me to enter Singapore visa free for 30 days. Can I ask for 90 days instead during the immigration check at Changi? My real reason for 90 days is because I am looking for a job, since I quit my last job last month and my EP got cancelled. I will return to Singapore tomorrow and hoping to get 90 days. If the immigration officer ask for the reason, should I tell him/her the real reason? Is it advisable?

For Visa run to Johor Baru, what documents do I need, if there is any, to come back to SG to get another 30 days? I heard you must have return ticket to come to SG on visit pass, but how does one get a return ticket if one doesn't live in Malaysia permanently but is using JB for visa run purpose?

Any experiences and/or stories are highly appreciated.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35514
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 01 Oct 2011 1:01 am

It's actually illegal for you to do Visa runs. If the Immigration Officer gets a whiff of that, you might end up with a 3 days visa to collect your things and leave Singapore for a period of not less than 6 months.

generalsu
Regular
Regular
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon, 26 Sep 2011

Postby generalsu » Sat, 01 Oct 2011 1:07 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:It's actually illegal for you to do Visa runs. If the Immigration Officer gets a whiff of that, you might end up with a 3 days visa to collect your things and leave Singapore for a period of not less than 6 months.


What about asking for a 90 day visit pass?

generalsu
Regular
Regular
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon, 26 Sep 2011

Postby generalsu » Sat, 01 Oct 2011 1:41 am

generalsu wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:It's actually illegal for you to do Visa runs. If the Immigration Officer gets a whiff of that, you might end up with a 3 days visa to collect your things and leave Singapore for a period of not less than 6 months.


What about asking for a 90 day visit pass?


The thing is I do have a MOM Entrepass application pending. Will that help in giving me the 90 days visit pass?

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Sat, 01 Oct 2011 11:49 am

generalsu wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:It's actually illegal for you to do Visa runs. If the Immigration Officer gets a whiff of that, you might end up with a 3 days visa to collect your things and leave Singapore for a period of not less than 6 months.


What about asking for a 90 day visit pass?


not a given, but despite the 30 day visa, ICA can also give you less .. though they have given less rarely...

And also, they also have the right to refuse permission ..

And for 90 day ?? no .. they will not give 90 days upon arrival .. and asking for 90 days will set off alarm bells ringing unless you have supporting documents for the case .. and in that case, they will still ask you to go ICA building ..

generalsu
Regular
Regular
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon, 26 Sep 2011

Postby generalsu » Sat, 01 Oct 2011 2:36 pm

ecureilx wrote:
generalsu wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:It's actually illegal for you to do Visa runs. If the Immigration Officer gets a whiff of that, you might end up with a 3 days visa to collect your things and leave Singapore for a period of not less than 6 months.


What about asking for a 90 day visit pass?


not a given, but despite the 30 day visa, ICA can also give you less .. though they have given less rarely...

And also, they also have the right to refuse permission ..

And for 90 day ?? no .. they will not give 90 days upon arrival .. and asking for 90 days will set off alarm bells ringing unless you have supporting documents for the case .. and in that case, they will still ask you to go ICA building ..


Thank God I saw your message just before I went to the immigration checkpoint. I did, however, mentioned that my Entrepass application is still pending and that probably set off some alarm but not too big cuz I am not a criminal, never refused entry and had held employment passes from different companies for the past 3 years. Nevertheless, I didn't like the attitude that the officer had, rude vile pigs. It seems like anyone working for the government always have that nasty attitude! At the end I got 30 days visit pass only. I should have gotten 90 days since I speak great American English.
Last edited by generalsu on Sat, 01 Oct 2011 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Sat, 01 Oct 2011 2:40 pm

generalsu wrote:Thank God I saw your message just before I went to the immigration checkpoint. I did, however, mentioned that my Entrepass application is still pending and that probably set off some alarm but not too big cuz I am not a criminal, never refused entry and had held employment passes from different companies for the past 3 years. Nevertheless, I didn't like the attitude that the officer had, rude vile pigs. It seems like anyone working for the government always have that nasty attitude! At the end I got 30 days visit pass only. I should have gotten 90 days since I speak good English.


With that kind of attitude you should have been given 6 months upon arrival .. :roll: :roll:

generalsu
Regular
Regular
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon, 26 Sep 2011

Postby generalsu » Sat, 01 Oct 2011 3:44 pm

ecureilx wrote:
generalsu wrote:Thank God I saw your message just before I went to the immigration checkpoint. I did, however, mentioned that my Entrepass application is still pending and that probably set off some alarm but not too big cuz I am not a criminal, never refused entry and had held employment passes from different companies for the past 3 years. Nevertheless, I didn't like the attitude that the officer had, rude vile pigs. It seems like anyone working for the government always have that nasty attitude! At the end I got 30 days visit pass only. I should have gotten 90 days since I speak good English.


With that kind of attitude you should have been given 6 months upon arrival .. :roll: :roll:


What are you trying to say?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35514
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 01 Oct 2011 3:50 pm

I'm guessing, by his comment "I speak good English" that our friend, generalsu, is of Asian descent AND nationality.

If I am right, that's the reason he didn't get a 90 days SVP when he requested it. Asian Nationalities cannot get one. In fact, there are on a limited handful of western countries that are allowed a 90 days on entry.

Most visitors, generally, do not require visas to enter the Republic. This applies to the majority of Western nationals who either do not require a visa at all or do not require a visa for a social stay of up to 90 days. In this case, a 14-day permit will be issued on arrival.

You do not need a visa for Singapore, no matter how many times you enter the country, if you are a citizen of:

Commonwealth Country - The Republic Of Ireland - Liechstenstein - The Netherlands - The United States - San Marino - Monaco - Switzerland


You do not need a visa for Singapore, for social visits up to 90 days, if you are a citizen from:

Austria - Belgium - Denmark - Finland - France - Germany - Iceland - Italy - Japan - Korea - Luxembourg - Norway - Spain - Sweden


On arriving in Singapore, you will be given either a 14-day or 30-day permit, depending on your stated length of stay. You may extend your 14-day permit for another two weeks, but you may be asked to produce an air ticket out of Singapore and/or proof of enough funds for your stay.

The Immigration Department is located at 10 Kallang Road (1800-391 6400) near Lavender MRT station.

Read more: Singapore Visas and Embassies http://www-singapore.com/visas-embassies.htm


Additionally, with his attitude, he'll be lucky if he hasn't been flagged by the officer he smarted off at and may find he cannot get ANY type of visa. Immigration officers you don't want to screw around with. They are demi-gods in their own right and can make you life miserable without any recourse as they answer to no one.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Sat, 01 Oct 2011 3:58 pm

generalsu wrote: What are you trying to say?


Silly me .. with your good English, I have to explain ... or maybe not .. :( :( sorry .. Read on ..

SMS: and so far, in Singapore, I am yet to see ICA officers who are arrogant or rude or plain simply had a bad day ..

Though, as I said, even with the promise of an arrival visa, they can still 'refuse entry' as you can see in most flights .. when the waiting relatives go distraught only to find out that ICA refused entry ..

Happens a in BT, though rarely in T1/T2 or T3 ..














back where I come from .. .you don't call any Govt servant 'vile pig' .. and in Singapore, too ..

generalsu
Regular
Regular
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon, 26 Sep 2011

Postby generalsu » Sat, 01 Oct 2011 6:40 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I'm guessing, by his comment "I speak good English" that our friend, generalsu, is of Asian descent AND nationality.

If I am right, that's the reason he didn't get a 90 days SVP when he requested it. Asian Nationalities cannot get one. In fact, there are on a limited handful of western countries that are allowed a 90 days on entry.

Most visitors, generally, do not require visas to enter the Republic. This applies to the majority of Western nationals who either do not require a visa at all or do not require a visa for a social stay of up to 90 days. In this case, a 14-day permit will be issued on arrival.

You do not need a visa for Singapore, no matter how many times you enter the country, if you are a citizen of:

Commonwealth Country - The Republic Of Ireland - Liechstenstein - The Netherlands - The United States - San Marino - Monaco - Switzerland


You do not need a visa for Singapore, for social visits up to 90 days, if you are a citizen from:

Austria - Belgium - Denmark - Finland - France - Germany - Iceland - Italy - Japan - Korea - Luxembourg - Norway - Spain - Sweden


On arriving in Singapore, you will be given either a 14-day or 30-day permit, depending on your stated length of stay. You may extend your 14-day permit for another two weeks, but you may be asked to produce an air ticket out of Singapore and/or proof of enough funds for your stay.

The Immigration Department is located at 10 Kallang Road (1800-391 6400) near Lavender MRT station.

Read more: Singapore Visas and Embassies http://www-singapore.com/visas-embassies.htm


Additionally, with his attitude, he'll be lucky if he hasn't been flagged by the officer he smarted off at and may find he cannot get ANY type of visa. Immigration officers you don't want to screw around with. They are demi-gods in their own right and can make you life miserable without any recourse as they answer to no one.


I understand your point of view, but the way you put it seems like either you're an immigration officer with ICA or you got paid to be on their good side for whatever reason I simply cannot imagine. I came to this forum for help and good advice, not to be made fun of and ridiculed by users who suck up to immigration officers.
Last edited by generalsu on Sat, 01 Oct 2011 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

generalsu
Regular
Regular
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon, 26 Sep 2011

Postby generalsu » Sat, 01 Oct 2011 6:47 pm

ecureilx wrote:
generalsu wrote: What are you trying to say?


Silly me .. with your good English, I have to explain ... or maybe not .. :( :( sorry .. Read on ..

SMS: and so far, in Singapore, I am yet to see ICA officers who are arrogant or rude or plain simply had a bad day ..

Though, as I said, even with the promise of an arrival visa, they can still 'refuse entry' as you can see in most flights .. when the waiting relatives go distraught only to find out that ICA refused entry ..

Happens a in BT, though rarely in T1/T2 or T3 ..














back where I come from .. .you don't call any Govt servant 'vile pig' .. and in Singapore, too ..


Just because you're an immigration officer, doesn't give you automatic right to talk in a rude and vile manner. These officers are the first ones visitors see when they visit your country and therefore plants the first impression, unless of course, Singapore is that screwed up.

Yes, you made me cross. I just said that. I do speak good, in fact great English.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35514
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 01 Oct 2011 7:34 pm

I have my doubts that your claims hold any validity, at least based on the tone of what you have written here. If you spoke imperiously to them the way you do on this forum, you're lucky they even let you into the country at all. In fact, I don't see you as being all that successful with you short tempered fuse when you don't get your way. You'll have a rough time here, guaranteed.

You may well have been a general where you came from. But here you are dogmeat. You have no rank in this country. You rank plus 80 cents will get you a cup of kopi and not much else. You may well be used to people bowing to you but here in Singapore you better learn some humility......fast. If you are to be successful, that is.

They probably replied to you exactly the way we have and for the same reasons. You even admitted the other poster made you mad. Mad? :roll:

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9357
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Sat, 01 Oct 2011 9:29 pm

@generalsu, are you still staying in the same apartment you rented earlier while on EP?

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Sat, 01 Oct 2011 9:39 pm

generalsu wrote:Just because you're an immigration officer, doesn't give you automatic right to talk in a rude and vile manner. These officers are the first ones visitors see when they visit your country and therefore plants the first impression, unless of course, Singapore is that screwed up.


Oh gosh .. I am sorry sir .. and a million times sorry ..

You didn't, by any chance, exercise your right to object, to the officer himself/herself, or seek out their superiors to admonish and possibly suspend them, or place them under desk duty (oh, sorry, they are already on desk duty .. )

Which, sir, you must have done. shall I give you the address of ICA, please proceed there to complain and ensure that such people of ill repute are removed off duty, and possibly sent to the Gulag .. concentration camps .. immediately .. ????????

Don't be cross with me .. I am a mere foot soldier .. or less .. :evil: :evil:


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Isabella_J and 2 guests