Singapore Expats Forum

Question regarding DP...

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Chizzler

Question regarding DP...

Postby Chizzler » Fri, 30 Sep 2011 5:12 pm

Hi everyone!

Hope someone could help me...I will be moving to Singapore in about 3 weeks...my EP got approved in less than 1 week (actually it was more like 1-2 days lol) and that was already about a month ago. We submitted the DP application for my wife aswell...but it did not get approved, on the MOM page it says it has been sent to the "vetting agency" for further checks I suppose. I think it's because she has another nationatlity than me, although we're both from Europe. They are saying that this should take about 2 months.

Actually I was a bit surprised, shouldn't a DP be more or less automatically approved? Anyway, looking through the forum here I saw some members who seemed to have similar problems, but most got the DP after 4-5 weeks, so I still hope this will work before we leave.

The thing is, if hasn't been approved until we get to Singapore my wife will apparently only get a tourist visa for 15 days. I would be getting 90 days if I'm not mistaken.

IF the visa has also not been approved in another 15 days she would have to leave the country I suppose...or is there any other way she could appeal to stay until the visa thing is approved? Somehow stupid if she would have to leave Singapore and then the visa would be approved the next day. We wouldn't have this problem if she could stay 90 days I would think...but this is a bit troublesome.

Hope you guys don't mind my question, didn't see a similar case to mine and I looked through dozens of topics. :)

Thanks guys!

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor

Postby singaporeflyer » Fri, 30 Sep 2011 5:28 pm

Appeal is only when the DP gets rejected and not while the DP is in process.

You can still try to apply for SVP (Social Visit Pass ) for her and it would be granted for 30 or 90 days (Based on the Country of Origin)

Even though MOM says that it might take 2 months, mostly you MAY get the results within a months time.

Good Luck !

Chizzler

Postby Chizzler » Fri, 30 Sep 2011 5:52 pm

oh okay, thanks a lot for your help!

really hope that this will be all sorted before we arrive...

So I could apply for a SVP for he AFTER we arrived in Singapore even with a pending DP application? wow, sure is complicated, but if this would work that could be an option...

Thanks again, very much appreciated!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Fri, 30 Sep 2011 6:05 pm

The SVP is the passport stamp you get on arrival, at the airport.

What leads you to think she'd only get 15 days?

Chizzler

Postby Chizzler » Fri, 30 Sep 2011 6:26 pm

JR8 wrote:The SVP is the passport stamp you get on arrival, at the airport.

she said she googled it and it said 15 days...but you're right, I just checked that and she gets 30 days...very sorry, my bad.

Chizzler

Postby Chizzler » Wed, 12 Oct 2011 3:07 pm

2 more weeks have passed, nothing has happened, it has been 1 1/2 months now...I must say this is getting a tiny little bit annoying. Well, at least they said "up to 2 months", therefore I still hope it will take less then 2 months. We'll see.

Otherwise she will enter with the 30 day SVP and until expiry it would be 3 months from the day we applied. Just hope they won't make a fuss at the airport because our return flights are only booked for April...at least we have them booked. :)

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 12 Oct 2011 3:16 pm

Chizzler wrote:
JR8 wrote:The SVP is the passport stamp you get on arrival, at the airport.

she said she googled it and it said 15 days...but you're right, I just checked that and she gets 30 days...very sorry, my bad.

Not to be a pessimist, but SVP can also be for 7 days :D :D

Though you wouldn't have to worry, as you are coming to take up the EP and spouses are not so stringently filtered :)

Chizzler

Postby Chizzler » Wed, 12 Oct 2011 4:46 pm

well the relocation company through which we are doing this (as offered by my company) just said to tell the officer at arrival that the DP is still pending and we should ask for 30 days (I thought thats standard anyway?). But actually I'm still hoping this won't be necessary and the IPA will be here before we leave...11 days to go. :)

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 12 Oct 2011 4:55 pm

Chizzler wrote:But actually I'm still hoping this won't be necessary and the IPA will be here before we leave...11 days to go. :)

Upon arrival, it is a good idea to tell the ICA people that you have IPA in hand ..

Chizzler

Postby Chizzler » Wed, 12 Oct 2011 5:00 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Chizzler wrote:But actually I'm still hoping this won't be necessary and the IPA will be here before we leave...11 days to go. :)

Upon arrival, it is a good idea to tell the ICA people that you have IPA in hand ..

well I will be showing mine of course, already got it. And we'll tell them that the application for my wife is still pending, I think then it shouldn't be a problem. I hope. :)