Singapore Expats Forum

16 Maid Agencies fined

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Sat, 01 Oct 2011 2:07 pm

well, I maybe sued for saying this, but it is not the Singapore Govt's doing or the employers doing that a fair number of maids do not earn enough at the end of their contract ... and the problem exists at the source of supply ...
So basically you are saying that exploitation goes on! Well well well so you are saying that my head isn't in the sand after all. But SMS says they know the horror stories, they sign the contracts and their husbands are to lazy to work :lol: he almost convinced me :roll: :wink:

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9275
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Sat, 01 Oct 2011 2:23 pm

ksl wrote:
well, I maybe sued for saying this, but it is not the Singapore Govt's doing or the employers doing that a fair number of maids do not earn enough at the end of their contract ... and the problem exists at the source of supply ...
So basically you are saying that exploitation goes on! Well well well so you are saying that my head isn't in the sand after all. But SMS says they know the horror stories, they sign the contracts and their husbands are to lazy to work :lol: he almost convinced me :roll: :wink:


You misread me ..

For example, If I am running a factory, and paying my staff 1,000 $ - as per the engaged through a contractor, and the contractor takes back 900 $, how is it my fault ??

As for SMS, yes, 9 out of 10 maids here are hopelessly poor, and more ...

I had this quote to a friend, who was asking how maids can survive on a saving of about 3,000 $ in a 2 year contract .. he had this amused look on his face when I said that in other asian countries, the 3,000 $ is enough to build a simple house, and also finance a shop / business .. and more ..

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Mon, 10 Oct 2011 2:10 pm

Looks like there is a big misunderstanding, between what is called price fixing and an agreement in wages.

Price fixing is related to commodities like products and services, not man power, according to the news so the fines maybe unjustified. I suppose the legal eagles will sort it out, though it does appear that it wasn't the same as SMS's Company after all.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9275
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Mon, 10 Oct 2011 2:37 pm

ksl wrote:Looks like there is a big misunderstanding, between what is called price fixing and an agreement in wages.

Price fixing is related to commodities like products and services, not man power, according to the news so the fines maybe unjustified. I suppose the legal eagles will sort it out, though it does appear that it wasn't the same as SMS's Company after all.


and who's gonna take on the Govt ??? :) :)

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Tue, 11 Oct 2011 1:10 am

ecureilx wrote:
ksl wrote:Looks like there is a big misunderstanding, between what is called price fixing and an agreement in wages.

Price fixing is related to commodities like products and services, not man power, according to the news so the fines maybe unjustified. I suppose the legal eagles will sort it out, though it does appear that it wasn't the same as SMS's Company after all.


and who's gonna take on the Govt ??? :) :)
I guess all the agencies that were find will be lodging their appeals through one legal representative it will be interesting to see what the outcome is. Government is the law and makes the law but what does the law say?, I'm sure different departments that abuse their power will be informed if they are right or wrong legally.

This is nothing new it happens in many Countries too, especially UK Customs and Excise who I can relate too as they confiscated tobacco, when the tax had been paid at a lower European rate than what the UK charges. After the Customs were taken to court by the Ferry service for hassling the boats travellers and confiscating cars too they lost the first test case. The Taxmen are the real predators, they often lose too after the Ombudsman investigations. But all departments love the power! :lol:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/engl ... 188527.stm

I know what SMS is thinking so I will save him the trouble by saying this will come under commercial law only one kind.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Domestic Helper & Babysitter Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest