Singapore Expats Forum

NS for Foreign PR's

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
what to do

NS for Foreign PR's

Postby what to do » Thu, 29 Sep 2011 11:03 pm

Wondering what NS will be like for my Canadian son who is Singapore PR? currently living in Canada and contemplating a move back but have concerns about 2 years in NS for Caucasians - have not heard great things so far

He is only 10 years and his REP will renew when he is 15. any options? any suggestions?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 30 Sep 2011 12:09 am

I've never heard any negative things from Caucasians doing NS. I've been here almost 30 years. All are treated the same. Lot's of rumours created by parents because they didn't follow the rules or changed their minds in mid-stream. But those that I know who did it (granted only a handful) didn't have a problem. In fact, most thrived. I have heard, however, that they generally are only given clerical type jobs in non-critical positions so that they are not placed anywhere where they have access to critical data. How true that actually is I don't know.

I do know my son who is currently in the Singapore Navy, is being assigned to supply, but we don't think he will be assigned to a ship for a similar reason. As he is still in training, we have a couple more weeks till we find out his posting.

In fact, one of the reasons I've remained in Singapore was to ensure that he did some form of military service that would instil discipline but more or less keep him out of harms way, e.g., not sent him to some war zone in a war he neither asked for or should be in in the first place.

Having said that, read the posts in the Strictly Speaking sub-forum. Specifically posts by Kraikk & Mad Scientist.

what to do

NS for Foreign PR's

Postby what to do » Fri, 30 Sep 2011 8:40 am

thanks - what nationality is your son? will check on the subgroups you suggest.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 30 Sep 2011 12:14 pm

Depends on which passport he is using. :wink: But his NRIC says he's Caucasian while his US doesn't say anything...... :wink:

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: NS for Foreign PR's

Postby ksl » Fri, 30 Sep 2011 1:25 pm

what to do wrote:Wondering what NS will be like for my Canadian son who is Singapore PR? currently living in Canada and contemplating a move back but have concerns about 2 years in NS for Caucasians - have not heard great things so far

He is only 10 years and his REP will renew when he is 15. any options? any suggestions?
I would relax Singapore is very very strict when it comes to treating races equal, not like the USA or UK they will enforce the law here. I'm Caucasian too and I would almost certainly take it as a privilege to serve this Country with a mixed race force though I'm mentally prepared but too old after 10 years in the British Army :wink: .

Your worries are unfounded, as what i have heard from other NS youngsters here the only worry is the boredom, when they could be studying University. Though it's a positive mind that makes the difference so be positive for your son, and he will be positive too.

The biggest worry they have is getting fit enough especially when they hate sport and exercise, so mind over matter goes a long way to self discipline to overcome hurdles in life and use their initiative skills if they have any.