Singapore Expats Forum

EP Advice

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
ElDiavolo

EP Advice

Postby ElDiavolo » Thu, 29 Sep 2011 9:21 am

Hi guys,

I am an indonesian chinese working in Singapore. I have been working for 1 week. I got my EP at the second company that accepts me. My EP got rejected at the first company. Now my problem is, let's say that i got a job offer that i really wanted and i want to quit my current company. My concern is about my EP. I got my EP around friday last week.. Let say that i quit my current company and accept the job offer. My question is, what are my chances of getting EP again?? Will it increase or decrease(because i just got an EP)?

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor

Re: EP Advice

Postby singaporeflyer » Thu, 29 Sep 2011 9:30 am

ElDiavolo wrote:Hi guys,

I am an indonesian chinese working in Singapore. I have been working for 1 week. I got my EP at the second company that accepts me. My EP got rejected at the first company. Now my problem is, let's say that i got a job offer that i really wanted and i want to quit my current company. My concern is about my EP. I got my EP around friday last week.. Let say that i quit my current company and accept the job offer. My question is, what are my chances of getting EP again?? Will it increase or decrease(because i just got an EP)?

Changing job within 1 week is not good. Why dont you wait for 6months -1 year and then try changing if needed.

ElDiavolo

Postby ElDiavolo » Thu, 29 Sep 2011 9:44 am

Thanks for the reply. The thing is i'm afraid i might not get a job offer like this. Actually, if i go through with it, the time it would take to quit my job will be around 1 month. Is that better? or is that the same as 1 week? and if i understand you correctly, changing job after 1 week or 1 month will significantly decrease my chances of getting EP??

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Thu, 29 Sep 2011 10:06 am

ElDiavolo wrote:Thanks for the reply. The thing is i'm afraid i might not get a job offer like this. Actually, if i go through with it, the time it would take to quit my job will be around 1 month. Is that better? or is that the same as 1 week? and if i understand you correctly, changing job after 1 week or 1 month will significantly decrease my chances of getting EP??

Just count your blessings that you've had your EP granted with this company. Job hopping is frowned upon and you could quite easily find yourself blacklisted with the MOM ( :wave: )

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 29 Sep 2011 10:26 am

Additionally, as you've already been rejected by one company, but accepted by another, it's a known that you are academically acceptable. BUT. As you have already found out, being academically acceptable does not always translate to getting the EP, e.g., you first rejection.

So, there is a possibility that, the company you want to go to may well not be able to get a EP for you as well. This could impact your current position as they will know that you have applied for another job, whether you tell 'em or not as if the new prospective employer has applied for an EP then the current employer, if their HR department is up to snuff, will already know it. Why? Because if they are smart, like my company, they check all foreigners, especially new hires and those nearing expiry of current EP's. While MOM will not tell them WHO filed for the IPA, it will show that your FIN has an application being filed for approval or approved or rejected. Once they see that, the jig's up. Guess who they aren't going to be seriously concerned with if a work slowdown? Guess who will be out the door first.

Greed will normally jump up and slap your in the face. And rightly so. I'm an HR manager and I know how much time, effort & money we have to spend on each new hire who wastes our time.