Singapore Expats Forum

Got My LTVP, Should PR Be Next?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
foxinabox

Got My LTVP, Should PR Be Next?

Postby foxinabox » Tue, 27 Sep 2011 1:55 pm

Hi guys! Just wanted to thank you guys for all the great information and personal accounts on this forum. They have been invaluable to us since we started preparing for our move to SG nearly a year ago. Now we've been here for 2.5 months.

I've been looking around at my options going forward and would like your opinion on our chances of being approved for a PR, and if it's the right way to go in the first place.

I received my spouse-sponsored LTVP a couple of weeks ago; the whole process went smoothly and quickly for us (whew, feeling very lucky). I'm American, and Hubby is a Singaporean who got transferred to the Singapore office indefinitely after studying and working overseas for many years.

I've been toying with the idea of setting up my own business versus looking for a job here. However, from my brief search, it appears that many of the job postings have the condition that only Citizens and PRs should apply. Moreover, should I choose to set up my own business, my impression is that it is easier to do so as a PR. And since my husband's job will require him to be here indefinitely, it makes sense to start looking at the PR option.

We spoke to a lady at the PR desk at ICA and she mentioned that people usually wait a year after getting married to apply for PR, although the approval ultimately depends on many other factors. We've been married for a few months.

Hubby has a PhD from the US and is in banking, earning quite a lot. I have a Bachelor's from the US and 3 years of experience in consulting in an MNC (I'm only in my mid-20s). Is applying for PR a logical next step given our qualifications, and to expand my opportunities in terms of getting a job or starting a business? Or should I wait, hold off on the business idea, and look for jobs that are open to foreigner applicants?

I'm also really confused as to what I would be allowed to do as a DP vs LTVP holder. This whole time ICA and MOM told us LTVP is the way to go for our situation, but from reading some past threads, LTVP seems to be more restrictive than DP. Is this actually the case?

Would truly appreciate any thoughts and suggestions you have. Apologies in advance if I've gotten something completely wrong - the MOM and ICA websites confuse the heck out of me. Thanks guys!

beppi
Manager
Manager

Postby beppi » Tue, 27 Sep 2011 4:02 pm

DP allows work on LoC, LTVP doesn't. But you don't have a choice, as DP is for dependants of EP holders only, dependants of citizens can only get LTVP.

It is better to wait for at least a year of living here (and being married) before applying for PR. It is also better to listen to ICA and take serious even what is implied between the lines.

sundaymorningstaple

Re: Got My LTVP, Should PR Be Next?

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 27 Sep 2011 4:10 pm

foxinabox wrote:Hi guys! Just wanted to thank you guys for all the great information and personal accounts on this forum. They have been invaluable to us since we started preparing for our move to SG nearly a year ago. Now we've been here for 2.5 months.

I've been looking around at my options going forward and would like your opinion on our chances of being approved for a PR, and if it's the right way to go in the first place.

I received my spouse-sponsored LTVP a couple of weeks ago; the whole process went smoothly and quickly for us (whew, feeling very lucky). I'm American, and Hubby is a Singaporean who got transferred to the Singapore office indefinitely after studying and working overseas for many years.

I've been toying with the idea of setting up my own business versus looking for a job here. However, from my brief search, it appears that many of the job postings have the condition that only Citizens and PRs should apply. Moreover, should I choose to set up my own business, my impression is that it is easier to do so as a PR. And since my husband's job will require him to be here indefinitely, it makes sense to start looking at the PR option.

We spoke to a lady at the PR desk at ICA and she mentioned that people usually wait a year after getting married to apply for PR, although the approval ultimately depends on many other factors. We've been married for a few months.

Hubby has a PhD from the US and is in banking, earning quite a lot. I have a Bachelor's from the US and 3 years of experience in consulting in an MNC (I'm only in my mid-20s). Is applying for PR a logical next step given our qualifications, and to expand my opportunities in terms of getting a job or starting a business? Or should I wait, hold off on the business idea, and look for jobs that are open to foreigner applicants?

I'm also really confused as to what I would be allowed to do as a DP vs LTVP holder. This whole time ICA and MOM told us LTVP is the way to go for our situation, but from reading some past threads, LTVP seems to be more restrictive than DP. Is this actually the case?

Would truly appreciate any thoughts and suggestions you have. Apologies in advance if I've gotten something completely wrong - the MOM and ICA websites confuse the heck out of me. Thanks guys!

First of all, if Hubby is a Singaporean, you cannot get a Dependent's Pass anyway. The LTVP is the only thing that is open to you.

Secondly, if you haven't been married for 2 years, you may well have a problem as they want to ensure that it's not a marriage of convenience.

Yes, the LTVP is much more restrictive and we're not sure why. It seems like an anomaly in the system but they don't seem to be willing to change it. It may well have something to do with my last paragraph. They aren't willing to let those on a marriage of convenience, work here. This is one way of making sure there is staying power in the marriage. At least that's as plausible reason anyway.

By making you qualify on your own merits, then it's possible that the time to wait for the PR application may well be shorter as well. Primarily because you are here anyway and have a job based on your own qualifications, so it would be doubtful that you would become a ward of the state.

Applying now for PR, you will just stress yourself out, for no good reason. Give it time. If you HAVE read and researched the various threads on this forum, you would already know this as it's been done to death over the past 2 years or so. It's become even harder to obtain PR since the GE. Having said that, getting a job first, on your own EP, and then applying for PR under the family ties scheme, with the PTS scheme as a backup, will almost surely shoe you in.

foxinabox

Postby foxinabox » Wed, 28 Sep 2011 1:22 pm

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Does this mean that I am essentially barred from starting a business here and that my only option now, as a LTVP holder, is to look for a job that's willing to sponsor me for an EP?

foxinabox

Postby foxinabox » Wed, 28 Sep 2011 2:14 pm

foxinabox wrote:Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Does this mean that I am essentially barred from starting a business here and that my only option now, as a LTVP holder, is to look for a job that's willing to sponsor me for an EP?

Or the other option would be to apply for an EntrePass (this would not be feasible for me). Am I correct in my understanding? Thanks. :)

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Wed, 28 Sep 2011 7:11 pm

foxinabox wrote:
foxinabox wrote:Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Or the other option would be to apply for an EntrePass (this would not be feasible for me). Am I correct in my understanding? Thanks. :)

You do not need entrepass, you can officially set up a business in your husbands name as he's Singaporean, and he can employ you to manage the business, though the criteria is on a case by case scenario with a work pass officer in MOM. You will have to apply for the Employment pass, though a degree is not part of the criteria under family business ties and you will be treated as a family member, so it will not effect any employment quotas and levies for the business. You will not have to pay levy. Make an appointment to discuss with a MOM work pass officer and explain you want to be employed to manage your husbands company LLC.

MOM will then have to discuss the idea with ICA all going well, ICA will give the go ahead for MOM to issue you a work pass.

Entrepass way will cost you in your own name 50K start up capital!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 28 Sep 2011 9:01 pm

I found a interesting page with this Website featured 3 times on the MOM site while trying to find the link for ksl answer that he has neglected to post the link for, after giving me a ration of crap a couple weeks ago about another thread.

Anyway, ksl, please post the link for our reference knowledge and for others so they can confirm as it's not easily found (at least I've not been able to). Thanks mate.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Thu, 29 Sep 2011 3:55 am

The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 30 Sep 2011 1:58 pm

ksl, we are still waiting for the link........ :-|

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Fri, 30 Sep 2011 4:41 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:ksl, we are still waiting for the link........ :-|
The Link as been removed off the ICA website, But I can assure you I have confirmed it with MOM if a spouse on LTVSP can be employed by the family company, without paying levy. :wink: They just have to send in an application for employment pass and it will be treated on a case by case scenario, MOM have to discuss and get approval from ICA officer. The forms to be completed are The Work Permit Application Form For A Foreign Worker/Trainee in Non domestic sector. Details of the family business must be submitted. I did confirm this with a meeting with MOM works pass officer. It wasn't very often used and the ICA website has been revamped in 2009 but it still applies. The forms are here http://www.mom.gov.sg/services-forms/pa ... it-fw.aspx Business Employers employing spouses must have a prior approval reference number which you can get after a meeting

Here's the PDF application for Foreign workers non domestic/spouse ID details http://www.mom.gov.sg/Documents/service ... n_Form.pdf after contacting MOM to ensure it went to the right person, they said it didn't matter just send it in with full explanation of family member you wish to employ though ICA must also agree, as it is them that issue the LTVSP not MOM so also not a reason to build hopes too high, as it is case by case.

But in general I know a few married Singaporeans that have taken this route by the spouse setting up a business and employing the foreign spouse as a family member. Singaporeans and PR's don't have to pay the 50K for setting up a business and they can employ their spouse with prior approval. Like I have always said about government websites, just because it doesn't say it in black and white, doesn't mean you cannot do it!

I believe MOM is very flexible and really does want to help those people living here, so spouses don't be afraid to ask all kinds of questions with a work pass officer, (The reception area are totally out of the picture and know nothing of the options open for foreign spouses).