Singapore Expats Forum

Advice on PR Application - Intention to Getting Married

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
tjhinn

Advice on PR Application - Intention to Getting Married

Postby tjhinn » Tue, 27 Sep 2011 1:50 pm

Hello all,

I have a small question that need some advice from those more experienced in the matter.

A short background. I'm Indonesian Chinese Male, aged 29 years old. I have been staying in Singapore on and off. Was here to finish my Secondary School and my O Levels Certificate. Went out of the country for my B.A., and then back again to Singapore to work. Initially I stayed for about 2 years on S Pass status, before heading back to Jakarta, Indonesia for approximately 1 year. Now I am back in Singapore on EP and has been here since the March 2011. Even with my EP I still go back to Jakarta regularly due to working commitments.

I am dating a Singaporean Lady (Citizen), and we are planning to get married.

The problem here is that for me personally, I want to be able to get an apartment ahead of time (or at least successful in balloting) before proceeding with our marriage. Some time a few years back I actually saw that it is possible to get an HDB for a Singaporean Citizen who is married with a foreigner. However, a recent check to the HDB site has shown a different fact - it seems that now, the couple must be both PR or Citizens to be able to buy an HDB.

As such, I am currently considering applying for PR status.

My questions are as follows –
• Should I wait till I get married first before applying? I would prefer not to, because it just feels like the wrong order of things (get married, get PR, get house) whereas I wanted to do it this way : get PR, get house, get married.
• If I apply now and fail, I can always try again after getting married. Will this affect my chances? Is this not advisable?
• What are the chances of me getting a PR with my current status (not married yet). Will my frequent travel out of the country affect my chances?
• When asked how long has I been in Singapore, can I include my past stays here as well? As in, my 2 years plus of education, and my 2 years of working stint before I went back to Jakarta the last time round?

Any advise and hints would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers and thanks so much~!

-Nik

beppi
Manager
Manager

Postby beppi » Tue, 27 Sep 2011 4:07 pm

There are two kinds of PR: Based on employment and based on family ties.
For the employment one, they ask for tax returns of the last three years, so you'd have to work and pay tax in Singapore for three consecutive years.
For family ties, things are not that clear, but usually at least a year of being married and living together (in Singapore) is needed.

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Tue, 27 Sep 2011 4:33 pm

beppi wrote:living together (in Singapore) is needed.

You don't have to be living together in Singapore (can be abroad) but it probably helps

groovinzhou

Postby groovinzhou » Wed, 28 Sep 2011 6:20 pm

wow. you have the same exact situation as me. I'm 29 yrs old indonesian chn with singaporean fiance. planning to get married after get PR. If get married to get PR it doesn't seems right infront of her parent... -.-

We need HDB, at the end we looking at private apt. but is a waste really T_T.

My PR application has been pending for 11 mths.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Thu, 29 Sep 2011 3:52 am

groovinzhou wrote:wow. you have the same exact situation as me. I'm 29 yrs old indonesian chn with singaporean fiance. planning to get married after get PR. If get married to get PR it doesn't seems right infront of her parent... -.-

We need HDB, at the end we looking at private apt. but is a waste really T_T.

My PR application has been pending for 11 mths.

Your fiancee can buy new HDB house . The only thing is your name is not there. PR and getting HDB house does not worlk in tandem and does not equates to anything. Your PR application is based on PTS scheme. If you want to get married, go ahead but that does not guarrantee you PRship. PR under family ties will have more weight but the application will have the same time frame either approve or reject
My suggestion go and get married. Then on inform ICA changes to your marital status
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

aquariuswinnie

Postby aquariuswinnie » Thu, 29 Sep 2011 11:22 am

I believe to get and bid for a new HDB (I meant the BTO ones), it needs to be a SG/SG or SG/SPR couple. For a SG single, I believe you only qualify for a resale HDB. A Singaporean and a Foreigner couple, you can purchase a resale. The flat will be under the name of the SG and spouse will be an occupier until he/she gets SPR status.

groovinzhou

Postby groovinzhou » Fri, 30 Sep 2011 10:15 am

Hi Mad Scientist and aquariuswinnie, thanks for the reply!

For a single to buy resale HDB , a min. of 35 yrs old is the requirement.

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10321p.nsf ... enDocument

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Fri, 30 Sep 2011 10:28 am

groovinzhou wrote:Hi Mad Scientist and aquariuswinnie, thanks for the reply!

For a single to buy resale HDB , a min. of 35 yrs old is the requirement.

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10321p.nsf ... enDocument

I know that !!. Use your fiancee name with her parent as second owner ?
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

therat
Reporter
Reporter

Postby therat » Fri, 30 Sep 2011 10:16 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:I know that !!. Use your fiancee name with her parent as second owner ?

Provided her parent don't own a HDB or private property.

groovinzhou

Postby groovinzhou » Tue, 04 Oct 2011 11:57 am

ya. her parent own both lol. Good luck for TS anyway!