Singapore Expats Forum

Maid is 22 - can she join us in spore?

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
laicarolyn

Maid is 22 - can she join us in spore?

Postby laicarolyn » Wed, 21 Sep 2011 10:32 pm

Hi can somebody please give me some advice. I will be moving to Singapore very soon and really hoping to bring my maid/nanny with me but i just found out for a first time maid working in Singapore, she has to be 23. My girl is 22. Though she is young she has at least 8 years of studies nearly 5 years working experience and she is worth every penny and more hence i am desperately trying to find out if there is anyway for her to join me. Throughout my 2 years in Indonesia, not only she is there for me throughout my very difficult pregnancy, she is a star to my 2 children especially my baby. She is already a part of my family and she even eats together with us. She goes wherever we go on holidays and if i can adopt her as my daughter i would !!! Is there anyone out there who has got similiar situation as mine and can you please share & give me some advice ? Really appreciate & thanks in advance.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 21 Sep 2011 10:49 pm

Wait till she's 23?

All other suggestions would be illegal so we cannot suggest there here, else we lose our credibility........ [-X

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Wed, 21 Sep 2011 11:04 pm

I'm thinking the same thing as well; if she means that much to you, surely it wouldn't take a lot to wait for her to turn 23, depending on when her birthday is, of course. People have waited longer for much less.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Thu, 22 Sep 2011 2:38 pm

Is she Chinese Indonesian? Maybe you can actually sponsor her with a student visa for study of cooking, you will never know until you look into it.
Many kids arrive every day from Asian countries to study here, it's got to be a lucrative business, as i read some are turning over 50k a month. A study visa shouldn't be too difficult for a year, and she lives at your address go for it.

Some expensive landed properties are being used for this purpose of surrogate mothers an option worth looking at for a year, though you may not be eligible a PR or citizen maybe. Check out the link http://www.chef2chef.net/culinary-insti ... chools.htm

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 22 Sep 2011 3:20 pm

Of course if you go the student visa route, she has to be in school full time and she is NOT allowed to work at all. Should she be caught both you and her will be in deep brown stuff. It's illegal as the dickens.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Thu, 22 Sep 2011 7:15 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Of course if you go the student visa route, she has to be in school full time and she is NOT allowed to work at all. Should she be caught both you and her will be in deep brown stuff. It's illegal as the dickens.
I agree it would be illegal if she was paid to work for you while studying, but she's supposed to be a close family member and you maybe able to improve her situation and your quality of life too, when it comes time to employ her.

For a good maid, I would certainly invest in improving their cooking skills if needed, most do need the skills and also cleaning too, well above what they learn at an agency. To be able to cook a variety of meals is a valuable lesson for the future well worth the investment if planning to keep them long term.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 22 Sep 2011 9:04 pm

I'll say it one more time. She's not a close family member. She's an employee, there is no family membership there at all. She is not allow to work for somebody AT ALL. MOM will view it as working for her keep, which is barter, which is working for income as she is getting something of value for her labours, room & board. The only way she could "work" would be to go to an approved government institution and then she is limited to working a couple of hours a week. Anything else is illegal.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Thu, 22 Sep 2011 9:13 pm

So what you're trying to say is that she can't work?

:P

x9200

Postby x9200 » Thu, 22 Sep 2011 9:15 pm

Adopt her!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 22 Sep 2011 11:05 pm

x9200 wrote:Adopt her!

The best solution :D :D

Love it ..

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Thu, 22 Sep 2011 11:36 pm

SMS says:I'll say it one more time. She's not a close family member. She's an employee, there is no family membership there at all. She is not allow to work for somebody AT ALL
He likes to be heard doesn't he! So that means she cannot work :lol: Luv it :P You better listen carefully to what he is saying' She's not allowed to work right!.

Though I think we did say that several times, so many times it's difficult to fathom. So I'm now with the majority, adopt her! 8-)

I wonder how many mother in laws visiting on LTVSP are shaking in their boots after reading this thread, for doing the washing up, wet market shopping, cleaning, taking the kids to school :roll: :P
Last edited by ksl on Thu, 22 Sep 2011 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Thu, 22 Sep 2011 11:37 pm

ecureilx wrote:
x9200 wrote:Adopt her!

The best solution :D :D

Love it ..

Didn't they make a movie about this?!? :P

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 23 Sep 2011 12:34 am

Only problem is, she'll be 23 before the proceeding are completed and unfortunately as she's already over 21 she cannot be adopted anyway as she's no longer a minor. :tongue:

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Fri, 23 Sep 2011 12:44 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Only problem is, she'll be 23 before the proceeding are completed and unfortunately as she's already over 21 she cannot be adopted anyway as she's no longer a minor. :tongue:

Which brings us to the original suggestion: wait for her to turn 23.

You're welcome. :P

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 23 Sep 2011 6:45 am

ksl wrote:I wonder how many mother in laws visiting on LTVSP are shaking in their boots after reading this thread, for doing the washing up, wet market shopping, cleaning, taking the kids to school :roll: :P

Last time I heard, a Mother in Law is still a family member, albeit on the side of the family most everybody wishes they didn't have to claim. :roll: