Singapore Expats

Advice for Experienced I.T. Business Analyst

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
YankStuckinSuiss
Regular
Regular

Advice for Experienced I.T. Business Analyst

Post by YankStuckinSuiss » Tue, 20 Sep 2011 1:11 am

Hi...I'm guessing you guys have been asked this question before, and I've read some previous threads, but here it goes...

I have 9 years experience doing I.T. support database applications support, often but not limited to help desk environments (level 2 or 3 support/high level) at a global level, with internal and external clients. I have also interacted closely with vendors. I have experience working in Asia, Europe, and in the U.S. I'm American, but I am a visible non-white and non-East Asian minority...

What do you think my chances are at getting a job only speaking English in a support environment? I do speak low intermediate Mandarin, but am illiterate.

I'm currently working for a Pharma Multinational in Switzerland, but very much want to go back to Asia. I've worked in Japan before and studied in China (Shanghai) a decade ago.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

-George Bernard Shaw

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Advice for Experienced I.T. Business Analyst

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 20 Sep 2011 8:25 am

what makes you think that you must know Mandarin to survive in Singapore ??

Or did I miss something ?? :( :(

As for the job opportunities, that's fair play : if you are worth it, you will find your dream job ..

YankStuckinSuiss
Regular
Regular

Post by YankStuckinSuiss » Tue, 20 Sep 2011 1:10 pm

I know I don't have to know Mandarin to survive, but I thought it might be a plus on a job application.

anyway, I tried something risky to come to Switzerland. I quit my job in America and came here for 3 months as a tourist, and looked for a job. I found one in the 3rd month. :-)

Switzerland is notoriously hard to immigrate to for non-EU (Switzerland is not in the EU, but they have treaties)...

Would this be a good plan for Singapore? I know it is hard to get a job when outside the country, because people would like to interview you. I don't have plans to do this right now, but I'm considering it for the future, so trying to get as much info as possible.

Knowing if my job is even worth it is important, because if I take a risk, I want a chance to get a job, not t be told "no" constantly because my job is not even valuable enough on the market to sponsor a visa, because they have too many locals...etc.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

-George Bernard Shaw

YankStuckinSuiss
Regular
Regular

Post by YankStuckinSuiss » Wed, 28 Sep 2011 8:37 pm

A lot of views but no comments. :-|

-George Bernard Shaw

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Wed, 28 Sep 2011 8:58 pm

Forget Singapore, forget IT and become a private banker instead.......

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Asian_Geekette » Wed, 28 Sep 2011 9:06 pm

To the OP:

Consider EPEC. Some have been lucky and found jobs. Some weren't that lucky...

It's a risk you'd have to take.
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

YankStuckinSuiss
Regular
Regular

Post by YankStuckinSuiss » Wed, 28 Sep 2011 9:30 pm

Asian_Geekette wrote:To the OP:

Thanks for the info.!!

-George Bernard Shaw

YankStuckinSuiss
Regular
Regular

Post by YankStuckinSuiss » Tue, 04 Oct 2011 5:06 pm

Asian_Geekette wrote:To the OP:

Does the EPEC allow me to enter Singapore one time to look for work (up to 3 months or so) or I can come and go as much as I want for one year? Maybe I come look for a job for 2 months, then leave, come back again in 3 months...etc?

-George Bernard Shaw

medcheckonsat

Post by medcheckonsat » Tue, 04 Oct 2011 5:15 pm

No.

But with EPEC you can apply for LTVP.
Smokers never grow old, they die young :D

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 04 Oct 2011 5:47 pm

medcheckonsat wrote:No.

But with EPEC you can apply for LTVP.
Which gives you "UPTO" 12 months long term visa ..

So, anything between 3 months to 12 months to find a job

BTW, you could also start your search in the banks / finance companies in EU/Europe, and ask for posting here ... that's how I know a few French friends and Brits landed here ..

YankStuckinSuiss
Regular
Regular

Post by YankStuckinSuiss » Thu, 06 Oct 2011 3:26 pm

So I got approved for the EPEC...what now? :) I know this sounds like a dumb question from someone too dumn or lazy to do research.

To be honest I have not done a lot of research into immigration issues yet, because I know this is good for a year and I've been really busy.

Generally though I can enter the country now to look for work. Correct?

Are there any cheap places for ex-pats to stay while job hunting?

I know I can get a pre-paid phone with a Singapore number while there - important for CVs. I'm thinking about coming there in January.

-George Bernard Shaw

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 06 Oct 2011 3:36 pm

YankStuckinSuiss wrote:So I got approved for the EPEC...what now? :) I know this sounds like a dumb question from someone too dumn or lazy to do research.

To be honest I have not done a lot of research into immigration issues yet, because I know this is good for a year and I've been really busy.

I know I can get a pre-paid phone with a Singapore number while there - important for CVs. I'm thinking about coming there in January.
Read this forum, read this forum, and read more :D :D

And wait for the EPEC approval form, which states what you should do next.

And yes, you can arrive here and get a 30 day visa, before processing your LTVP ...

Cheap places?? Define Cheap ?? :) :) from 500 $ to 5000 $ .. expat accomodation is available ..

YankStuckinSuiss
Regular
Regular

Post by YankStuckinSuiss » Thu, 06 Oct 2011 3:54 pm

ecureilx wrote:
YankStuckinSuiss wrote:So I got approved for the EPEC...what now? :) I know this sounds like a dumb question from someone too dumn or lazy to do research.

Read this forum, read this forum, and read more :D :D

And wait for the EPEC approval form, which states what you should do next.

And yes, you can arrive here and get a 30 day visa, before processing your LTVP ...

Cheap places?? Define Cheap ?? :) :) from 500 $ to 5000 $ .. expat accomodation is available ..
As far as accomodations...I'm thinking $500 - $1,000 a month...

Will that get me some place that is not lice and roach infested? Well I'm guessing roaches are common in any tropical place, but you know..."within reason..."

-George Bernard Shaw

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 06 Oct 2011 3:55 pm

YankStuckinSuiss wrote:Are there any cheap places for ex-pats to stay while job hunting?.
Yes; your friends'.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

YankStuckinSuiss
Regular
Regular

Post by YankStuckinSuiss » Thu, 06 Oct 2011 3:58 pm

nakatago wrote:
YankStuckinSuiss wrote:Are there any cheap places for ex-pats to stay while job hunting?.
Yes; your friends'.
The closest friends I have are in Taiwan. That's not going to work. :(

-George Bernard Shaw