Singapore Expats

Acting?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
iwanthp

Post by iwanthp » Sun, 25 Sep 2011 8:36 pm

nakatago wrote:
iwanthp wrote:wow. any chance of me getting to now who you are? hehe
He's the token white guy!
huh? what do u mean?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 25 Sep 2011 10:12 pm

I'm an Ang Moh!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 25 Sep 2011 11:11 pm

If it were America (or maybe Europe) you'd be the token person of a different race, who then blows away all racial stereotypes and turns out to be 'just like one of us really'.

Does it work the same way in SG?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 25 Sep 2011 11:35 pm

When I first started with SBC it was still under a Statutory Board. And Harry Lee was still running the show. One series I did, I was shown married to a Singaporean Chinese woman. BUT! the only way it was allowed to be scripted was the scene was taken at my "ranch" in the US. e.g., the interracial marriage wasn't "done" in Singapore! Harry has since changed his tune and even admitted that interracial marriages were going to become more and more commonplace as time went on. Guess I was on the vanguard or leading edge of the movement! I was also the first Ang Moh killed in a locally produced Drama Series as well. (I've been killed two times). I've played doctors, lawyers, priests :o, diamond merchants, British WWII military officers & gangsters. One of the two times I was killed, the other being in a fight on board a tanker in the western anchorage as the tanker captain. I took a 35' freefall into the western anchorage for that one (got paid three times 1 for the acting, 1 for the stuntwork & once for the overdubbing in the studio.

I acted with Zoe in Pretty Faces which was her first starring role with SBC, I also acted with Zoe & Fann together in Golden Pillow (you probably wouldn't be aware of either as they weren't on the Malay channel.) :-D
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

iwanthp

Post by iwanthp » Mon, 26 Sep 2011 3:52 pm

I don't watch the Malay channel lol. I'm Chinese. sorry but still not sure who you are hehe

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 26 Sep 2011 4:05 pm

The Malay comment was meant for JR8.

iwanthp

Post by iwanthp » Mon, 26 Sep 2011 6:47 pm

so how did you become an actor? is it thru AADB too?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 26 Sep 2011 10:36 pm

iwanthp wrote:so how did you become an actor? is it thru AADB too?
funny that you should ask ... if my guesstimate is right, he's been acting long before the internet days :D :D

Or Internet DAZE ???

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 26 Sep 2011 11:14 pm

\:D/ Yep, no internet back then. You needed to know somebody who knew somebody, who knew somebody. My intro was from a Brit (who was married to a Malay girl) and had been here a number of years and had been doing some part time work for them as well.

iwanthp

Post by iwanthp » Tue, 27 Sep 2011 4:38 pm

So there aren't really any other ways to find auditions other than AADB? Any websites like Talenttext or something?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 27 Sep 2011 5:14 pm

iwanthp

Post by iwanthp » Tue, 27 Sep 2011 5:45 pm

wow thanks for the links man! ill go browse through them :D

ausinsg
Regular
Regular

Post by ausinsg » Sun, 02 Oct 2011 7:07 am

Think laterally! Pangdemonium recently advertised for volunteer ushers for the front of house of the new theatre performance they are doing. See if you can sign up to help out. Or even contact them about any other volunteer work you can do.

The couple which own it, include Adrian Pang, who has done lots of acting on TV here. As you are helping out, let the managers know you are keen to try a career in TV acting. You will probably find yourself able to meet him for a chat, and pick his brain for ideas about how to break into the industry.

It is a long shot, but not as long as you might expect. If you are helping out someone's company, they are quite likely to be willing to give advice and share tips with you. If you are a great worker and they see your potential you might score some introductions too.

It never hurts to take some action and do something for others, it shows you have initiative and you may well build up some useful contacts for next time.

Good Luck!