Singapore Expats

Indemnity

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ksl
Governor
Governor

Indemnity

Post by ksl » Mon, 19 Sep 2011 1:21 am

when someone in Singapore ask you to sign indemnity forms to avoid prosecution for liability, don't take it for granted that it will stand.

There is a law that can overturn this scapegoat clause. Read more and learn how to protect yourself against those trying to wiggle out of responsibility and I would think that covers you on the footpaths in Singapore too and your children in school activities, even though all schools will make parents sign an indemnity form. Don't let it put you off court action to prove the responsibility lies with them and their insurance companies.
It's a little like the MRT Company blaming a little girl for falling onto the track and losing both legs, quite shocking affair.

http://news.xin.msn.com/en/singapore/ar ... id=5285379

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Mon, 19 Sep 2011 6:32 am

What happened to the guy? Some element of the ride was faulty and he fell off?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 19 Sep 2011 8:19 am

In any reasonable legal system you will be made liable (most often also in criminal aspect) if the injury:
- is due to you negligence or wrongful intentions (->actions)
- failure to ensure the person understand the risk

Unfair trade terms acts are typically meant to simplify the whole thing. If something is there this is the end of discussion. If not, still it can be questioned but is not that "automatic".

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 19 Sep 2011 8:30 am

aster wrote:What happened to the guy? Some element of the ride was faulty and he fell off?
Apparently the automatic braking system didn't work to slow him down at the bottom of the line, e.g., a mechanical failure of the ride.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Return to “General Discussions”