Singapore Expats

Best burger in Singapore

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Singstar

Best burger in Singapore

Post by Singstar » Sun, 18 Sep 2011 1:48 pm

Righto, although we all like to be cool and local and go to hawker places, food courts, and "hip and happening" restaurants etc etc, but sometimes we just want a decent burger and a helping of fries. So.....where in Singapore has the best burger & fries? Let me know your views, price, overall rating, location and, a photo would be useful too.

I know I am new, but this is NOT an ad!

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Sun, 18 Sep 2011 3:14 pm

mos burger for me.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sun, 18 Sep 2011 4:00 pm

Just a few off the top of my head...

http://carlsjr.com.sg

http://www.thehandburger.com/

http://www.botakjones.com/

The Prince of Wales in Little India has some ok burgers too; well, ok when I went there, anyway.

As usual, YMMV
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

dazzlebabe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by dazzlebabe » Mon, 19 Sep 2011 11:26 am

The handburger didn't do it for me. I found the bun too soggy. Maybe the chef/cook was on MC that day.

Best for me:

Carls (altho anyone noticed their size is smaller than usual?)
Hardrock
Brewerks
Last edited by dazzlebabe on Mon, 19 Sep 2011 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just me

DazzleBabe

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Mon, 19 Sep 2011 12:41 pm

Boomerang bar - Robertson Quay

Bobby's bar - Chijmes

Handburger

The Bank - Shenton Way

IMO - Bobby's tops the list for taste & seasoning, followed closely by The Bank

lisalisadc

Post by lisalisadc » Mon, 19 Sep 2011 1:02 pm

Mos Burgers are tiny....although I do like their mystery sauce

Best burgers:

Everything With Fries
Fatboys
Brewerkz
Vegan Burger if you're a non-meat eater (burgers are small but their buns are homemade)

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Mon, 19 Sep 2011 1:55 pm

Burgers have lost there savoury taste over the years! Birdseye used to be the best home burger many moons ago!

Not impressed by carl's though there is room for improvement if the OP is looking to start his own burger bar!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 19 Sep 2011 4:01 pm

Ate at Handburger last month. Asked if I could have mine done medium/rare. The waitress gave me a slightly startled look and mumbled something about 'Cannot because the patty is so thin you see'.

Well that is clearly a nonsense. I forget if she said they do well done or not. I think she said they can. In which case not cooking less than medium would seem to belie a lack of confidence in their food hygiene.

Hmmm.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Mon, 19 Sep 2011 7:28 pm

in singapore where got medium rare? people see blood oledi run miles away, scare food poisoning and mad cow stuff!

the word rare to them is like "dont cook it, just bring the meat out". :D

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Mon, 19 Sep 2011 7:59 pm

I used to make what was called Frikadelle burgers at home with added spice, though in DK they are made of minced beef and minced pork, though it's illegal commercially to use the same mincer machine due to bacteria crossover! If marinated also delicious!

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 19 Sep 2011 8:07 pm

durain wrote:in singapore where got medium rare? people see blood oledi run miles away, scare food poisoning and mad cow stuff!

the word rare to them is like "dont cook it, just bring the meat out". :D
...in a country where barely cooked eggs--eggs sitting in hot water--is a breakfast/snack staple.

One man's meat is another man's poison. I went to a restaurant once and ordered carpaccio. The waiter asked me five times if I know what is and really want carpaccio.
Last edited by nakatago on Mon, 19 Sep 2011 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 19 Sep 2011 8:09 pm

^^^^

@Durain 7.28hrs
-------------------------

genuine lol (thx :))

Well then that is Goodburgers problem and not mine, as I believe any burger cooked medium or above is inedible. a chunk of shoe leather is cheaper.

p.s. this is an ongoing thing I have, as I go med/rare and the wife is medium. So eating in or out we are always very aware of where the boundary lies.

pps.
funny we were in a restaurant over here not so long ago. Bar/restaurant, run by a group of Yanks. Burgers, steaks, wings etc. Middle/higher end done out in a classic bare brick wall NYC style.

The menu is one of those hokey down-home kind of Yank affairs that doesn't just list the food, but offers lessons in how you really must order each dish for cookedness. A huge spiel about the differences between different kinds of steaks, and that kind of zzzzzz..... thing that most grown-ups already know.

So given they're telling you how to order burgers, and that 80% of their kitchen's output is probably burgers you'd think they would know how to get them right eh? After all they have hectored you in the menu to order 'correctly'?

Wrong. Should have seen the review I wrote up on that place lol!

Anyway, best burgers I've ever had (barring home made of course ;)), were the hand made and cooked to order right in front of you burgers at Jonny Rockets in Tokyo .... mm ... mm ..mmm ... mm .. mmm :)

Edit for clarity/time reference: @ Durain 7.28hrs

BigSis
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BigSis » Sun, 25 Sep 2011 1:01 am

I went to Handburger last week - it wasn't very good. The chicken in the chicken ceasar wasn't cooked properly. They reckon they bake it and then fry it, but it was raw, pink and cold. We changed to a normal beef burger and asked for it well-done and it was still pink in the middle. I don't mind my beef pink in the middle as a general rule but because of the chicken thing I thought that if I'd asked for it medium or something they would have brought out a steak tartare :wink:

Expensive too - not worth the money

You get a better burger at Brewerkz.

fxman

Post by fxman » Mon, 03 Oct 2011 12:47 pm

It is still gotta be Carl's Junior. Although the burger size isn't junior at all.

luminoso
Regular
Regular

Post by luminoso » Fri, 07 Oct 2011 3:27 pm

I reckon Fat Boys does really awesome burgers

I just hope it doesn't turn me into a fat boy. LOL