Singapore Expats Forum

want to give up singapore citizenship/acquire Indian

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Jay_Bharat

Postby Jay_Bharat » Sun, 18 Sep 2011 11:56 pm

JR8 wrote:3) SG won't let you renounce unless you have served NS

Well clearly this is the problem we have at the table. I feel that this is morally wrong. Because I've never seen myself as a Singaporean. I was just unlucky having to be born here and allow my mother to drag me back with her.

5) If you renege on your SGn obligations, you will never visit SG again, or if you do you'll be jailed on the spot.

Well the last one I'm quite having reservations because my mother seems to want to stay in Singapore. Suppose if she chooses to stay here for the rest of her life. I'd want to be able to see her in case something happens to her health. And the idea of being criminalized in any part of the world is not something I'd like.

The rest of your background and story are what you desire to happen. So you have to blend the facts and desires as best you can.

I agree.

So, in my humble and inexpert opinion how about:

1) Apply for Indian citizenship
2) Serve NS
3) If 1) is approved, and 2) has been completed, renounce SG and move to India.

I can't see any other way, can you?

I agree that I probably should complete NS should India not choose to accept me officially. But I'd be very depressed, because I would be legally considered to be something I myself do not identify with and that my own country(India) would not consider me to be Her son.

Holding Indian passport means I would be open to achieving things politically and should there be an imminent threat to my nation, I will have the honour of being able to fight for it.

And that can happen anytime given the political atmosphere of Israel being under threat and India being its close ally, terrorism from Pakistan and border issues with other countries.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Mon, 19 Sep 2011 12:42 am

Edit to add: the painting's title is 'Gotcha!'
Last edited by JR8 on Mon, 19 Sep 2011 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 19 Sep 2011 12:47 am

Hey dude, you got two choices. Legally do you NS and then get Indian Citizenship and then renounce.

Do a runner, get Indian citizenship, avoid NS and become a deserter and get picked up by ICA the first time you try even transiting through Singapore, as you will be classed as a deserter and they don't like deserters.

What has happened in the past with regard to your parents is of absolutely NO consequence. And if that's not bad enough, the gahmen here don't give a rat's arse if you are depressed or not. Play the fool and they'll play with you. I suggest you get some cojones and play by the rules.

Jay_Bharat

Postby Jay_Bharat » Mon, 19 Sep 2011 2:24 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Do a runner,

What do mean by that term?

My only concern is India. Singapore is secondary to me. The only thing I'm wary about is getting black listed by any government. I don't want that to be used against me somehow.

What has happened in the past with regard to your parents is of absolutely NO consequence.

I know the world enough to know that no one cares about that. Least of all SG govt esp with regards to the whole NS issue.

I suggest you get some cojones and play by the rules.

I'm not against playing by the rules. Why do you seem to pin this on me? My whole point is to get this done in as much a hastle free manner as possible.

Btw I am not entirely against me going to NS to be honest. Even though I see no reason to, in terms of obligation. The training could strengthen me emotionally and mentally.

Though it seems counter-productive to Singapore. Since I, as someone who does not wish to remain a Singaporean citizen will never get mobilized, will receive combat training, salary and get fed for 24 months. Acquire experience with military lifestyle, regimentation, tactics and weapons. And the first thing I'd do is throw away my citizenship. And whatever knowledge I have about SAF would be an asset to my actual loyalties (which is not Singapore).

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Mon, 19 Sep 2011 2:34 am

So, in my humble and inexpert opinion how about:
1) Apply for Indian citizenship
2) Serve NS
3) If 1) is approved, and 2) has been completed, renounce SG and move to India.

I can't see any other way, can you?

p.s. Suggest you listen, absorb and debate upon what people are suggesting, even if it not what you want to hear.

Your position is now clear (as opposed to your opening post which I think was smoke and mirrors), you want to avoid NS. But you cannot if you ever want to return to SG as a free man. Refer the first para above.

No more 'it's not fair, it's morally wrong, it's a waste of resources' ok? No one cares, least of all the SG govt.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Mon, 19 Sep 2011 9:10 am

JR8 wrote:Your position is now clear (as opposed to your opening post which I think was smoke and mirrors), you want to avoid NS. But you cannot if you ever want to return to SG as a free man. Refer the first para above.

No more 'it's not fair, it's morally wrong, it's a waste of resources' ok? No one cares, least of all the SG govt.

Yah, and he's not gonna admit that he wants to avoid NS ..

I digress, but as you say, if you don't like NS and find it wrong or unfair or this and that, too bad ..

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Mon, 19 Sep 2011 9:32 am

So, guys, I think this case is closed for us, huh? I mean, we got his situation, we advised on it.

Any other discussion then would be banter. :wink: