Singapore Expats Forum

want to give up singapore citizenship/acquire Indian

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Jay_Bharat

want to give up singapore citizenship/acquire Indian

Postby Jay_Bharat » Sun, 18 Sep 2011 1:15 am

Hello, I am Singaporean by birth (was born here). I'm ethnically Indian (both my parents are). My mother is second generation Singaporean whereas my father has always been a full Indian citizen. He carries the Indian passport and while he was here at Singapore he was a PR. But as of now hes been living in India and holds nothing from elsewhere.

I realize that its hard to acquire Indian citizenship. But I have the right to claim Indian citizenship through my father.

My father has been out of me and my mother's life for some time now. But if I can get in touch with him, he will be willing to do the necessary from his side.

Please help me with my situation. How do I go about doing this? What are the things I need to present for legal processing? What are the things that I need to take note of?

I want to get this done asap.
Last edited by Jay_Bharat on Sun, 18 Sep 2011 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 18 Sep 2011 12:05 pm

Have you done your NS?

Even if you have, you will not be able to renounce immediately. You have to be approved for citizenship by another country before Singapore will allow you to renounce as otherwise you could become a stateless person.

If you haven't done NS, forget it.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: want to give up singapore citizenship/acquire Indian

Postby ecureilx » Sun, 18 Sep 2011 2:40 pm

You haven't told how old you are ..

and, you can always explore PIO / CIO .. which allows you to claim your indian roots ..

As for skipping Singapore, without doing NS etc. SMS has answered ..

don't quote me, since of late, India is loathe to giving citizenship to Overseas Indians ..

Jay_Bharat

Postby Jay_Bharat » Sun, 18 Sep 2011 10:14 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:If you haven't done NS, forget it.

Why do you say that?

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Sun, 18 Sep 2011 10:16 pm

Jay_Bharat wrote:

Why do you say that?

Singapore won't let you go until you've served NS. If you haven't, pursue your Indian citizenship AFTER serving. Singapore really wants all able-bodies eligible men to serve and they go out of their way to make sure they do. Lives have been ruined because they tried to avoid NS.
Last edited by nakatago on Sun, 18 Sep 2011 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jay_Bharat

Re: want to give up singapore citizenship/acquire Indian

Postby Jay_Bharat » Sun, 18 Sep 2011 10:18 pm

ecureilx wrote:You haven't told how old you are ..

and, you can always explore PIO / CIO .. which allows you to claim your indian roots ..

As for skipping Singapore, without doing NS etc. SMS has answered ..

My only desire is to get this thing done. And I'm grateful to any help that I can receive from anyone.

However I do have to ask what difference does NS make to the equation?

Jay_Bharat

Postby Jay_Bharat » Sun, 18 Sep 2011 10:26 pm

nakatago wrote:
Jay_Bharat wrote:

Why do you say that?

Singapore won't let you go until you've served NS. If you haven't, pursue your Indian citizenship AFTER serving.

Wow that was fast.

The thing is. Getting citizenship from another country is never easy. So its not something anyone can do anytime. I don't see this as a loop hole in the system. Its my rights. Simple.

If I'm intending to do my studies here and get financial aid, scholarship from the government for my education, work here, live here, get married here, have and raise kids here and stay here for much of my life it makes sense to do NS. Because then since I enjoy the benefits, pretty much would be what a citizen is I would to do what I ought to back to the nation.

nakatago wrote:Singapore really wants all able-bodies eligible men to serve and they go out of their way to make sure they do. Lives have been ruined because they tried to avoid NS.

Could you tell me more?

Jay_Bharat

Postby Jay_Bharat » Sun, 18 Sep 2011 10:28 pm

Jay_Bharat wrote:Its my rights. Simple.

I didn't intend this in a rude way. Just genuinely stating.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Sun, 18 Sep 2011 10:29 pm

How old are you?

Are you trying to renounce SG citizenship in an attempt to avoid doing NS duty?

Jay_Bharat

Postby Jay_Bharat » Sun, 18 Sep 2011 10:47 pm

JR8 wrote:How old are you?

Turning 21 by the end of this year.

JR8 wrote:Are you trying to renounce SG citizenship in an attempt to avoid doing NS duty?

No because its not military conscription that I am solely avoiding just for the sake of it.

It makes perfect sense for Singapore to have something like NS given the context of its history, geography and population. I can see why a Singaporean ought to do NS. You make a living in a country, if you are eligible for doing what keeps the country safe then you ought to do what you are supposed to. The country gives you everything, you have to play your part.

But I want to hold Indian citizenship. I take pride in that. The sooner I can get that, the happier I would be.
Last edited by Jay_Bharat on Sun, 18 Sep 2011 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Sun, 18 Sep 2011 10:48 pm

I think that's exactly what he is trying to do. He needs to do a search for national service on this board... will discover that prison will be his outcome... at the very least, he will be a deserter and will never be able to come to Singapore without risk of arrest and imprisonment.

Jay_Bharat

Postby Jay_Bharat » Sun, 18 Sep 2011 11:01 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:

I think that's exactly what he is trying to do. He needs to do a search for national service on this board... will discover that prison will be his outcome... at the very least, he will be a deserter and will never be able to come to Singapore without risk of arrest and imprisonment.

I do read the papers from time to time and know at least a little about this sort of situations. Must you assume that I'm "trying to run away"?

I'm old enough to make mature decisions in my life. I've spent several years of my life in India. My father is Indian. I believe that I have the right to claim my heritage.

Unfortunately due to my parents divorce I had to follow my mother to Singapore. At that age I was powerless. I didnt know the implications nor did I have the choice.

Ever since I had to return to Singapore, I've constantly had thoughts of leaving here and live in India and make a change there. Its been a few years now, and I'm close to age of being an adult legally. This is the time for me to go ahead and make the decisions I want with my life.

Jay_Bharat

Postby Jay_Bharat » Sun, 18 Sep 2011 11:18 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Even if you have, you will not be able to renounce immediately. You have to be approved for citizenship by another country before Singapore will allow you to renounce as otherwise you could become a stateless person.

I am aware of this fact. My desire again is to get Indian citizenship. Thats my foremost intention.

I phrased my title hoping more people would be willing to help, since theyd be more familiar with the "Singapore" part as opposed to the Indian.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Sun, 18 Sep 2011 11:27 pm

When are you due to be called up for NS?

I believe there are a few immovable facts involved. Say if you disagree with any of them.

In general terms:
1) At any point in time you have to have a citizenship.
2) SG won't let you renounce unless you have another citizenship.
3) SG won't let you renounce unless you have served NS
4) Getting Indian citizenship could take a very very long time.
5) If you renege on your SGn obligations, you will never visit SG again, or if you do you'll be jailed on the spot.

The rest of your background and story are what you desire to happen. So you have to blend the facts and desires as best you can.

So, in my humble and inexpert opinion how about:
1) Apply for Indian citizenship
2) Serve NS
3) If 1) is approved, and 2) has been completed, renounce SG and move to India.

I can't see any other way, can you?

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Sun, 18 Sep 2011 11:41 pm

Jay_Bharat wrote:I phrased my title hoping more people would be willing to help, since theyd be more familiar with the "Singapore" part as opposed to the Indian.

Do a search then. Somebody already asked how to renounce Singapore citizenship after fulfilling all the obligations. Try adding "Mad Scientist" into the search queries. He's the resident expert but he isn't taking any calls lately. Probably busy saving the world or something.