Singapore Expats

East Coast good to live or a nightmare?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
darpy

Post by darpy » Sun, 25 Sep 2011 9:13 am

BigSis wrote:
darpy wrote:
BigSis wrote: I imagine that most older condos will have some sad tale to tell similar to that one. Where I live there's a shaft (airwell) in the centre of each lobby and two apartments from each floor back on to each airwell.
long shot, but you dont stay in finland gardens do you?
No - quite like the look of them though - especially the ground floor ones which go straight out to the gardens.

ahh, we own an apartment there but have never lived in it. The tenant we have there has their lease expiring very shortly and we were thinking of moving there, curious what it is like.

meanbean

Re: East Coast good to live or a nightmare?

Post by meanbean » Tue, 11 Oct 2011 10:54 am

Saint wrote:
rjh73 wrote:Hi

I am new to Singapore and have set my heart on living at The Bayshore on the East Coast and wondered if my choice is ok?

People at work are saying it is too quiet and commuting into town (work at the Maybank) is not good. I have bus plus and figured if I am out in the evening i will just get a taxi home.

I am not a huge party person and like to relax and chill out at the weekends and thought the East coast ticks those boxes but wondered if there is something I am missing in my thought process.

Any East Coast residence out there that can offer their thoughts?
I've been a long term Siglap resident staying literally in the shadow of The Bayshore and it is a great area to live. As mentioned there's a good mixture of locals and expats. You will find that most are what I call "local expats" as we've been here a few years and very much settled into Singapore life.

Don't worry about public transport getting to work as you have plenty of options from the bus plus, shuttle bus to MRT or you can slum on the normal buses with the locals and like I do.

Siglap its self has everything you will need, great bars (one in particular) an amazing variety of eating places ranging from your coffee shops, Italians, Japanese, Indian, Turkish and good ole pub grub.

There's a Cold Storage and Fairprice in Siglap for your everyday needs and Parkway Parade is just down the road for everything else. And obviously East Coast Park is within stones throw.

If you need any other info just give me a shout.

Posted while enjoying a cold one down the Dog n Bone bar
Saint is right on target! I used to go to East Coast Park to cycle, roller blade, bbq and have fun :D

pinkieadidas

Post by pinkieadidas » Sun, 16 Oct 2011 10:50 pm

East coast area is awesome! There's the sun and the sea, plus people are friendly! The food is awesome along Katong and the place has character as well. what's there not to love? PP and Tampines area has lots to choose from as well.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 16 Oct 2011 11:07 pm

tic...toc...tic...toc...

:devil:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sanjivvohra
Regular
Regular

Post by sanjivvohra » Sun, 16 Oct 2011 11:27 pm

We have been here a month at Upper East Coast Road, a shout away from Bayshore and love it!. Its close to Bedok Jetty area for amazing walks and cycling tracks, fun and food available a short distance away at Siglap.
Wifey likes to go the Orchard once in a while to browse for high end stuff but we dont miss living in the city at all!

You got a good deal, why look elsewhere?
Sanjiv