Singapore Expats Forum

This is wrong on so many levels....

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 23 Sep 2011 8:55 pm

KenYang wrote:The majority is correct, communication isn't about accent it is about understanding and getting understood :)

Your post is a good example.....

The majority ARE correct,

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Sun, 25 Sep 2011 2:31 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
KenYang wrote:The majority is correct, communication isn't about accent it is about understanding and getting understood :)

Your post is a good example.....

The majority ARE correct,

Are you sure, given that 'majority' is a singularity in this case? Majorities are correct, a majority is correct.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 25 Sep 2011 3:04 pm

http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/majority.html

Based on my understanding of the link, I am correct as in the sentence is is being used to refer to a collection of individuals and not a singluar grouping of say "the 90% Majority"

But then again, I've always said my grammer isn't that good as the cows really didn't care as long as their udders were emptied on time. :wink:

fascination

Postby fascination » Tue, 27 Sep 2011 4:01 am

What's more important I think is the proper use of grammar and vocab, rather than emphasizing on the variety of accents.

longstebe
Chatter
Chatter

Postby longstebe » Fri, 07 Oct 2011 2:55 pm

Had some good fun over the years taking the Mick out of each other.
Usually I would end up losing because there was more Americans, oops I meant to say Texans.

One spelling always got me though.

Vice (UK)
Vise (USA)

As in grip not the Feds or anything.

Mice (UK)
Mice (USA)

Ah well, at least when the locals were reading programs and came across "vice" they knew it was one of mine.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Mon, 10 Oct 2011 10:18 am

The one that always gets me laughing....... smoking a fag.

They both have the potential to kill you, especially if you are talking about Texas.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 10 Oct 2011 10:26 am

And you NEVER order a pack of fags from room service when in NYC! :o

JanR

Postby JanR » Wed, 12 Oct 2011 6:57 am

It´s like the woman said in the end of the video, the most important point is, that the two parties who communicate understanding each other and that´s indeed the fact if an American citizen talk to a British one.

Actually languages are techniques which are constantly in development and with the globalization raising they will adept themselves in this progress.

Best example in Germany. There is a ongoing debate about the english in the german language. Superficial they have nothing in common, but in fact for most of the discussed words the german translation just sounds odd and the majority accustomed already the english words. So why change it, when everyone is fine with it? Personally, I would just let the development go by itself. Seriously, there are enough other important things to agonize ;)
Looking forward to find a company in singapore which is interested in profiting from a great bachelor thesis of a highly motivated student in 2012.

x9200

Postby x9200 » Wed, 12 Oct 2011 8:02 am

JanR wrote:So why change it, when everyone is fine with it? Personally, I would just let the development go by itself. Seriously, there are enough other important things to agonize ;)

Because blindly increasing entropy just for the reason of sheer laziness is never good over a long run. This is not a problem specific to German and definitely not everyone is fine with this. While other languages may have problems finding suitable replacements I am very surprised German, with the living linguistic culture of the compound words, has it :)