Singapore Expats

Where to find a person to represent me at the small claims

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
hanswurscht

Where to find a person to represent me at the small claims

Post by hanswurscht » Thu, 15 Sep 2011 7:28 pm

Hi guys,

Where do I find a person to represent me at the small claims tribunal?

My previous landlord filled a (invalid) claim against me. I have all contractual documents that prove that his claims are invalid. Which makes this whole thing super annyoning.

However the small claims tribunal requires me to be present at the hearing, or send a representative.

As I am, due to a family issue, not in Singapore and won't be for at least the next 6 months, I am looking for anyone who can represent me at the SCT.

I contacted some lawyers, but it seems like they are not allowed to represent me there.

So where do I find a person who can represent me there?

Cheers,
Hans

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 15 Sep 2011 7:50 pm

You can only represent yourself. It's you, the other guy and the mediator. That's it. You can bring one other person along to clarify some point like your accountant, but you cannot have anybody to represent you. You go mano a mano with the other guy and the mediator.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

hanswurscht

Post by hanswurscht » Thu, 15 Sep 2011 7:54 pm

the SCT said, that I can appoint a person to represent me. Thought it can not be an advocate. So who else?

The process would be odd then, as this bascially means that any person in SG can claim any foreigners who move out of SG, and they will always win, if there is no person who joins the hearing at the tribunal.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 15 Sep 2011 9:59 pm

http://app.subcourts.gov.sg/Data/Files/ ... sputes.pdf
http://www.smallclaims.gov.sg/PDFDocume ... vidual.pdf

So you can authorize somebody to represent you but leaving the country seems not to be a valid reason unless you are not the resident any longer. Anyway, it looks like you can appoint anybody but a lawyer, be it your wife, friend, whoever.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 15 Sep 2011 10:32 pm

Yeah, provided you are not in the country, not of sound mind or body, are of an advanced age or have illiteracy issues. If you are supposedly foreign talent, I daresay, none of those would apply to you unless you leave the country first. And while we might not think you are of sound mind you have to provide a medical report to support it. :P
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

hanswurscht

Post by hanswurscht » Fri, 16 Sep 2011 12:05 am

yeah, I am currently not residenting in SG. I still have my PEP under which I own a company, but yeah, with family matters I cannot leave my home country to go back to SG anytime soon.

Bummer, that the landlord didn't submit all documents that are part of this claim. I am writing the SCT with all documents which prove that everything is paid. let's see what they come back with. I cannot be a qorking justice if anyone can claim anybody without giving any proves...

Odd that he just tries to suppress evidences. Doesn't he risk legal consequences then?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 16 Sep 2011 8:03 am

hanswurscht wrote:Odd that he just tries to suppress evidences. Doesn't he risk legal consequences then?
Lying, with some exceptions, is not an offense. You would need to prove his intentions were fraudulent and this is typically rather difficult to prove. He can always say he forgot this or that.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 17 Sep 2011 3:24 pm

x9200 wrote:http://app.subcourts.gov.sg/Data/Files/ ... sputes.pdf
http://www.smallclaims.gov.sg/PDFDocume ... vidual.pdf

So you can authorize somebody to represent you but leaving the country seems not to be a valid reason unless you are not the resident any longer. Anyway, it looks like you can appoint anybody but a lawyer, be it your wife, friend, whoever.
probably the OP has $ to fight a Small Claims Case ? Engage a lawyer, like Drew Napier, so you can have the case won, but with all compensation billed by the lawyer ..

Like I know somebody who did .. won 3,000 $ compensation, and the lawyer charged him 12,000 $ :)

If you are so busy, don't waste your time at small claims - leave small claims for poor people like us :D