Singapore Expats

Travelling with Children

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
swiss_familly_36

Travelling with Children

Post by swiss_familly_36 » Mon, 12 Sep 2011 9:41 pm

hi

i have a quick question: how do you travel with a taxi with infants. In Switzerland, Taxi Companies are obliged to offer "infant-seat's", so when you book the taxi and you request this they send you a cab with such a seat.

Is it similar in Singapore or is it more like in the developing counties (I don't state at all that Singapore is a developing country) that you can take infants into the car without any special arrangements?

For families who don't own an own car: what is the best method of travelling in the city? any tips and advise?

Thx so much.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 12 Sep 2011 10:21 pm

Use a taxi, bus or MRT.

Just like the other 4 million people here do. :roll:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Tigerslayer
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Tigerslayer » Mon, 12 Sep 2011 10:27 pm

Ah the Taxi Baby Seat... The true symbol that a country has 'made it'....

swiss_familly_36

Post by swiss_familly_36 » Tue, 13 Sep 2011 3:13 am

Tigerslayer wrote:Ah the Taxi Baby Seat... The true symbol that a country has 'made it'....
well tigerslayer. you cannot deny: public safety in any form (be it for workers, for individual transport, for construction sites, for fire alarms and rescue ways, for the environment, for the use of dangerous chemical ingredients in food, color etc etc.) the more developed a country is the more stricter the regulation, the more safer and the lower the mortality. This is a causal connection and It's basically taught in one of the first lessons in economy.

Or why is it, that the chance that you die in a car accident in Nigeria is about 100 times bigger than in Singapore?

Why is it, that in this forum when people ask a serious question, they get immediately verbally attacked?

swiss_familly_36

Post by swiss_familly_36 » Tue, 13 Sep 2011 3:20 am

Tigerslayer wrote:Ah the Taxi Baby Seat... The true symbol that a country has 'made it'....
oh, and not to forget, the country you are from, the even write on a hot paper cup of coffee that it is hot. all for the sake of safety. so you should truly be a pro regarding this matter....... :lol:

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Tue, 13 Sep 2011 3:57 am

Nobody was attacked in this thread before your last two postings.
Please mind your words, or post elsewhere!

And when taking a taxi, prevent your child from climbing over the console and changing the (manual) gears. The drivers don't like that, as my (now two-year-old) daughter found out a few months ago.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Tue, 13 Sep 2011 5:11 am

I have never seen cabs that carry seats in developed countries. For this reason the law in developed countries states that taxies can carry infants without additional equipment...

P.S. As for Switzerland, have they already joined other developing countries in allowing their citizens to flush the toilet or take a shower after 10pm? :)

P.S. 2 Is everyone still required by law to build a nuclear bunker, so if the world falls apart then they can aim to sit in a prison-cell environment for what they aim to be 50 years, and wonder how 500 cans of ravioli will last them for 18,262 days? Oh, and even if it lasts, I don't think anything will be edible on the outside anyway for like two centuries...

x9200

Re: Travelling with Children

Post by x9200 » Tue, 13 Sep 2011 8:30 am

swiss_familly_36 wrote:For families who don't own an own car: what is the best method of travelling in the city? any tips and advise?
This subject was covered here many times in a number of threads. It is somehow troublesome to post all the links so just go to the search link (upper-right box in this page) click it and feed it with the following: taxi baby car seat. Mark the button "Search for all terms", and you will get 20+ relevant threads with some useful information.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 13 Sep 2011 9:00 am

swiss_familly_36 wrote: Or why is it, that the chance that you die in a car accident in Nigeria is about 100 times bigger than in Singapore?
That one is easy. There are a lot less cars in Nigeria, the roads aren't as good and it allows people to travel at higher speeds thereby causing more fatal accidents.

In Singapore, the roads are extremely crowded, and traffic is slow because of it. therefore, there are lots of fender benders but not too many fatal accidents. Actually has little to do with seat belts or child seats. Most fatal accidents happen at night by drunks or street racers and there aren't many responsible parents out & about with their sprog at those hours.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 13 Sep 2011 10:14 am

I do still get surprised when I see parents carrying their kid :) in the front seat without any restraint. Just seems like a completely unnecessary risk to me.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 13 Sep 2011 10:21 am

Barnsley wrote:I do still get surprised when I see parents carrying their kid :) in the front seat without any restraint. Just seems like a completely unnecessary risk to me.
That's pretty much the way it is in Southeast Asia. FWIW, though, in the Philippines, one expressway operated by a private company disallows this. They won't let you through the toll gate if there's a child in the front seat...moreso if an adult is carrying a kid.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

snowqueen
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Travelling with Children

Post by snowqueen » Wed, 14 Sep 2011 1:49 pm

swiss_familly_36 wrote:hi

i have a quick question: how do you travel with a taxi with infants. In Switzerland, Taxi Companies are obliged to offer "infant-seat's", so when you book the taxi and you request this they send you a cab with such a seat.

Is it similar in Singapore or is it more like in the developing counties (I don't state at all that Singapore is a developing country) that you can take infants into the car without any special arrangements?

For families who don't own an own car: what is the best method of travelling in the city? any tips and advise?

Thx so much.
Hi, sorry if you feel like you have been attacked a little, this topic has been done to death but rather than help there are some that just reply with useless remarks.

Basically a lot of people travel around Singapore without car seats, I did for quite some time with my newborn, I just put him in the Babybjorn then transferred him to the stroller when I got to my destination although this was mostly a 2 minute trip to my nearest MRT station, not 20 miles across town.

I did eventually invest in a 2nd Qunny Buzz and a Maxi Cosi car seat till my son was too heavy to lift him in it. After that he travelled on my lap (always in the back seat) but the older he got the worse it was. He started to clamber all over the back set, stand by the console in between the front seats and even started pulling on door handles and window openers. Eventually we sucked up the cost and got a car - costs a fortune but well worth it.

I often see local kids sitting on their parents lap in the front seat, but worse I've seen kids on the back/front of their parent's motorbike.

Wait till you do a trip to Bali where you'll see an entire family of 4/6 perched on a moped - age from 1 - 100. That's scary.

richie303
Chatter
Chatter

Post by richie303 » Wed, 14 Sep 2011 3:53 pm

Best way, buy a car or don't get cabs if you don't like it!

Simples!

Alternatively, move back to Switzerland!

:o
Richie - East Coast Superbabe...

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Wed, 14 Sep 2011 4:49 pm

> In Switzerland, Taxi Companies are obliged to offer "infant-seat's".

In Australia, taxis are not allowed to have child seats "for hygienic reasons".
Overblown paranoia can obviously go either side, but less and less people are capable of a healthy "common sense" middle ground.

mrdodge
Regular
Regular

Post by mrdodge » Wed, 14 Sep 2011 11:18 pm

beppi wrote:> In Switzerland, Taxi Companies are obliged to offer "infant-seat's".

In Australia, taxis are not allowed to have child seats "for hygienic reasons".
Overblown paranoia can obviously go either side, but less and less people are capable of a healthy "common sense" middle ground.
That's not quite true, you call for a cab with a baby seat. Which are impossible to get so you end up taking trains and buses turning a 10 minute ride into a 40 minute drama !