Singapore Expats

Need advice on pr

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
ahdahboo

Need advice on pr

Post by ahdahboo » Mon, 12 Sep 2011 9:41 pm

Dear all,

My pr was rejected, no surprise. My question is, they don't state any reason on the letter, no waiting time to re apply, just standard "not successful" so it means they don't want people like me at all? (typical young foreign executive with full time degree in Singapore and from south east Asia)

On the other hand, I just got a new job with better pay and more reputable company, is it advisable to try after 1 year? (I've been here since 2007) yea I know you maybe sick of this question but I can't find my answer, so please bear with me.

On the other palm of the other hand, haha, well my rom is this coming October. Should I apply under spouse scheme or should I continue to re apply under professionals scheme? Fat or skinny hope?

Side story, I kinda think they are weird, imagine your spouse being denied entry to your own country, no pr is alright but some people are even denied ltvp. Honestly, no wonder the true blue are packing off to greener pastures. Have a local friend married to a viet girl but can't live together bc of that. Yea right

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 12 Sep 2011 10:20 pm

What is means is, you are welcome to stay here and work, but they are not interested in you sinking roots here. So, make plans to settle elsewhere after making sufficient money here. Most "expats" here are not here to settle but to make good money. The government retains the right to control who and how many are allowed to settle here permanently. What we think is fair or unfair is of no concern to them. They allowed you in to get an education and allowed you to stay to earn money (but you can be sure that it's a win-win situation for both) but they are not interested in your contribution to the gene pool. Whether good or bad, fair or not, it's their ball, their court and their rules. We play their game or we go home.

:-k
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Mon, 12 Sep 2011 11:55 pm

SMS is right, though it doesn't stop you applying again at a later date, I would wait until you have been married 2 years then try again, it's always better to have the PR under your own steam if possible.

ahdahboo

Post by ahdahboo » Tue, 13 Sep 2011 11:06 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:What is means is, you are welcome to stay here and work, but they are not interested in you sinking roots here. So, make plans to settle elsewhere after making sufficient money here. Most "expats" here are not here to settle but to make good money. The government retains the right to control who and how many are allowed to settle here permanently. What we think is fair or unfair is of no concern to them. They allowed you in to get an education and allowed you to stay to earn money (but you can be sure that it's a win-win situation for both) but they are not interested in your contribution to the gene pool. Whether good or bad, fair or not, it's their ball, their court and their rules. We play their game or we go home.

:-k
Yea I agree to what you say. What we think doesn't matter, since its their country. But I'm just asking if it's possible to reapply within the next 1-2 years after job advancement under PTS OR after 2 years of marriage? It's a harsh reality here so I just need some advice :)

ahdahboo

Post by ahdahboo » Tue, 13 Sep 2011 11:07 am

ksl wrote:SMS is right, though it doesn't stop you applying again at a later date, I would wait until you have been married 2 years then try again, it's always better to have the PR under your own steam if possible.
Hey you, thanks a lot for your opinion, do you happen to know of any successful cases?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 13 Sep 2011 11:41 am

Yeah, me.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ahdahboo

Post by ahdahboo » Tue, 13 Sep 2011 12:07 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Yeah, me.
Oh alright, mind sharing more about yourself please? Examples like how many times have you applied, duration of stay, duration of marriage and work exp in Singapore are appreciated :)

Your status is very cute lol, still fishing :P

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 13 Sep 2011 12:33 pm

ahdahboo wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Yeah, me.
Oh alright, mind sharing more about yourself please? Examples like how many times have you applied, duration of stay, duration of marriage and work exp in Singapore are appreciated :)

Your status is very cute lol, still fishing :P
Anyway that information may not help you as it was some 15+ years before when he got his PR.

Even the latest information may not help you as each case is different and considered on its own merits

chandra19998

Post by chandra19998 » Tue, 13 Sep 2011 1:33 pm

I saw spouses are rejected these days, it is almost hopeless if the sponsor is just a PR and not a citizen and household income less than Singapore average household income (I heard some source say 8K), to be honest it is really difficult to raise a family here with just that amount of income, imagine the astronaumical cost of housing, daycare, delivery fee, hospital fee, maid to help take care of young kids when parents at work, CPF, income tax, etc... I think the government will only grant PR to family they feel is secured enough to have a good life here and not to everyone, they don't want to approve the PR and have a family that is not so happy because of financial constraints, in short, you always have the option to raise a family in the other spouse country that maybe more suitable for the family situtation

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 13 Sep 2011 3:01 pm

chandra19998 wrote:I saw spouses are rejected these days, it is almost hopeless if the sponsor is just a PR and not a citizen and household income less than Singapore average household income (I heard some source say 8K), to be honest it is really difficult to raise a family here with just that amount of income, imagine the astronaumical cost of housing, daycare, delivery fee, hospital fee, maid to help take care of young kids when parents at work, CPF, income tax, etc... I think the government will only grant PR to family they feel is secured enough to have a good life here and not to everyone, they don't want to approve the PR and have a family that is not so happy because of financial constraints, in short, you always have the option to raise a family in the other spouse country that maybe more suitable for the family situtation
I feel that the 8k figure that you have quoted here may be too high.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 13 Sep 2011 3:05 pm

For the record the median income of a Singaporean family is 5K/mo.

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 13 Sep 2011 3:36 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:For the record the median income of a Singaporean family is 5K/mo.
This figure seems ok...