Singapore Expats

Choosing daycare/preschool/childcare services in Singapore

Discuss the many options of preschools and which suits your children.
NewDadda

Choosing daycare/preschool/childcare services in Singapore

Post by NewDadda » Mon, 12 Sep 2011 5:33 pm

I thought it might be useful to come up with a generic guide. Just for reference only, so please do your own research!

1. Generic Terms

The terms “daycare/preschool/childcare centre/nursery/kindergarden”
Last edited by NewDadda on Sun, 26 Aug 2012 10:06 am, edited 5 times in total.

wannamove
Chatter
Chatter

Post by wannamove » Mon, 12 Sep 2011 9:22 pm

Thank you! Very helpful. I am just starting the process of searching for daycares for my almost 2 yr old. I know I cannot finalize on one before visiting them. This is a great starting point write-up

A few questions

- How many daycares did you visit before picking one?
- How spacious are the daycares? Moving from Texas - a few daycares we visited during our short stay were crowded
- Waiting lists? Do daycares (especially the premium ones) have long waiting lists?
- Preschools - I see a few preschools take kids as young as 2 but the day ends at 3 pm or so. Since both of us will be working full-time we cannot pick up my daughter by 3. Do they have after-school care?
- Visiting daycares - I love how my daycare here has open-door policy. Parents can walk in anytime and to visit the daycare before enrollment we do not require appointments. It seems more transparent this way. But most daycares I talk to in Singapore require appointments. Is this norm or am I just picking the "wrong" daycares
- Food - I see many daycares offer their own food - are daycares okie with dietary regulations? Can send our own food?

Thank you

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 12 Sep 2011 10:11 pm

NewDadda,

Excellent Post. In fact, I'm making it a sticky so other can find it later. Thanks!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

NewDadda

Post by NewDadda » Wed, 14 Sep 2011 3:16 pm

wannamove, I would suggest you visit at least 3 centres.

If you want more spacious ones, you have to choose the newer centres, because the new centres need to comply with newer licensing requirements stipulating more area per child. Even so, many centres do not provide big playgrounds or activity area (see my point 4g above) Older centres, especially those in landed housing, can be very cramped.

The preschools will usually offer half-day or full day care. As you are both working full-time, just go for full day care. Drop off before 9am and pick them up before 7pm.

The daycare my son is enrolled allows walk-ins if you have previously called and made an appointment, especially if parents want to speak to a particular individual (usually the centre director). But, I guess the practice differs for each centre.

As for food, I would think the practice differs from centre to centre as well. Otherwise, if everyone can bring whatever they like, i can imagine the kids getting really confused when they see their classmates are eating all different stuff! But again, the practice will differ widely across centres.
Last edited by NewDadda on Fri, 28 Feb 2014 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

wannamove
Chatter
Chatter

Post by wannamove » Fri, 16 Sep 2011 4:07 am

NewDadda wrote:wannamove, I would suggest you visit at least 3 centres.

If you want more spacious ones, you have to choose the newer centres, because the new centres need to comply with newer licensing requirements stipulating more area per child. Even so, many centres do not provide big playgrounds or activity area (see my point 4g above) Older centres, especially those in landed housing, can be very cramped.

The preschools will usually offer half-day or full day care. As you are both working full-time, just go for full day care. Drop off before 9am and pick them up before 7pm.

The daycare my son is enrolled allows walk-ins anytime. The branch director will of course accept appointments too, especially if parents want to speak to a particular individual (usually the centre director). But, I guess the practice differs for each centre. I would get a little suspicious too, if I am "forced" to visit only at a stipulated time not at my convenience.

As for food, I would think the practice differs from centre to centre as well. I think my son's centre allows bringing of their own food if supported by medical proof. Otherwise, if everyone can bring whatever they like, i can imagine the kids getting really confused when they see their classmates are eating all different stuff! But again, the practice will differ widely across centres.
Thank you for all the advise and suggestions. I do hope to visit atleast 5 centers before I finalize. I arrive in Singapore in a month and it should be exciting and hectic times ahead
thanks again

Christina888

Post by Christina888 » Wed, 07 Mar 2012 9:02 am

Great info guys! What daycare centres have you chosen to visit? I have investigated, The Blue Nursery, Tanglin Tree, White Lodge, The Thinking box. When i say 'investigate' i mean, am aware of! These are very expensive. I'd be interested to see which ones others have seen.

I too am moving there in a couple of months and my little one will be 2 in May. I'm looking for a daycare centre that is quite international and has qualified staff. :D
SuperMum888

wannamove
Chatter
Chatter

Post by wannamove » Wed, 07 Mar 2012 12:47 pm

Christina888 wrote:Great info guys! What daycare centres have you chosen to visit? I have investigated, The Blue Nursery, Tanglin Tree, White Lodge, The Thinking box. When i say 'investigate' i mean, am aware of! These are very expensive. I'd be interested to see which ones others have seen.

I too am moving there in a couple of months and my little one will be 2 in May. I'm looking for a daycare centre that is quite international and has qualified staff. :D
Are you looking for full-time care (7am-7pm)? White Lodge on East Coast does not offer that. There are so many names - we choose Shaws and have been extremely happy there.

Christina888

Post by Christina888 » Mon, 19 Mar 2012 8:52 am

No, looking for half days around the Novena area? :???:
SuperMum888

wannamove
Chatter
Chatter

Post by wannamove » Mon, 19 Mar 2012 9:59 am

Christina888 wrote:No, looking for half days around the Novena area? :???:
Sorry! I have no clue about what is available in Novena. Maybe someone else can help

saudade

adaptation to Singapore

Post by saudade » Wed, 23 May 2012 3:32 am

Hello wannamove and christina 888!

I just read your posts and since we are also moving to Singapore with our son, who will be 2 in June, I was wondering how your kids have adapted to their new daycare centers and to Singapore in general...?

My son is often ill because he gets all sorts of viruses at daycare here. Do you already have a paediatrician over there? I am concerned about that because he always gets ill when we are away from home.

Thank you!!

wannamove
Chatter
Chatter

Re: adaptation to Singapore

Post by wannamove » Wed, 23 May 2012 8:59 am

saudade wrote:Hello wannamove and christina 888!

I just read your posts and since we are also moving to Singapore with our son, who will be 2 in June, I was wondering how your kids have adapted to their new daycare centers and to Singapore in general...?

My son is often ill because he gets all sorts of viruses at daycare here. Do you already have a paediatrician over there? I am concerned about that because he always gets ill when we are away from home.

Thank you!!
My daughter adapted really well to Singapore. Initally the heat was getting to her - she was getting tired and we had to make sure she drank lots of water. With regards to sickness, I totally understand about being sick often. My daughter was the same way when we were in US but these days she is not sick so often. I think the weather is helping her.

In general adapting to the new daycare has not been really hard. Kids are very adaptable - much more than adults. We have been here 7+ months, she speaks/sings in Mandarin, communicates well and is a typical 3 year old.

Good luck with the move. If you need more info, feel free to DM me

saudade

thank you!

Post by saudade » Thu, 24 May 2012 4:25 am

Hey there wannamove,

that is really great, how your daughter adapted! Singing in Mandarin and not being sick so often, really great!
I also have to tell you I really like your own website and I read your daughter's first story - so cute :-)
I can't wait for my son to talk even more than he does now. It's so amazing what goes on on their minds!
May I ask you in what part of the city you live?

See you!

wannamove
Chatter
Chatter

Post by wannamove » Thu, 24 May 2012 6:17 am

Saudade,

To be honest, I have been pretty amazed at the way my daughter took to Singapore. Public transport, humidity, crowds - she is great. It brings back to my earlier point. Kids are adaptable - we just never give them a change.

We live in the East Coast - we have been enjoying it here. There is a variety of schools/preschools/daycares all around Singapore and no matter where you live you will find something that fits your needs.

I should also mention that initally my daughter went to a local daycare and she settled well there and had a hint of Singlish. But I was not happy with the daycare so we moved her to a another one and we are loving it.

Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

akanshaa123

Day Care centres around Bayshore/Upper East Coast

Post by akanshaa123 » Wed, 19 Mar 2014 10:45 am

We are relocating with our son who is 6 months old and are looking at apartments around the area. We want to make sure we can find good child care centres though as well.

Any recommendations?

Also, do people have view points about getting a maid/babsitter vs a day care for a 6-7 month old?

jackytan77

Post by jackytan77 » Wed, 30 Apr 2014 10:50 pm

If you're going to live in the east, then i recommend Nafa Arts Kindergarten and Schoolhouse by the Bay.