Singapore Expats

Photography equipment allowed at F1 race

Find your sports & recreational partners & Teams here.
Lizonly

Photography equipment allowed at F1 race

Post by Lizonly » Mon, 12 Sep 2011 12:23 pm

I did read up what it says on the site... And under the "What not to bring" header they say - Professional use Audio Visual, television or photographic equipment without approved accreditation..

I just wanted to know if things like our personal tripod or zoom lens (a 70-200mm) would come under the the above category? It's obviously NOT for professional use, but I don't want to get there and find out we cannot carry these into the stand with us.. maybe I am just being paranoid.

Anyone here with prior experience at the race who knows? Also, does it make sense to carry a tripod in the first place? Would there be enough space to be set up a tripod at your seat? From what I have seen on TV, the legroom in front of the seat doesn't seem to be to that large.. or can you set it up elsewhere?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 12 Sep 2011 12:33 pm

From what I gather, longer than 200mm is not allowed.

Which 70-200 lens are you bringing? Some people can be ignorant of lenses; a 70-200 2.8 lens is bigger and more intimidating than a 70-300 4.5-5.6 lens. The 2.8 -200 would look more "professional" then than the 5.6 -300 lens.

Food for thought.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 12 Sep 2011 1:22 pm

You best bet is to just use a monopod. There isn't room enough and the crowds are too thick to use a decent tripod and a spindly thing will just get whacked. I took one at the first F1 here and was in the Grandstands. I ended up using it as a monopod and eventually found the the corner visible at the upper right corner (town side) was the best shot but trying to get to the edge to take a shot was virtually impossible cause of the crowds there doing the same thing. Eventually I would just take the camera and set it on record and rapidly hold it up way over the top of the crowd using the closed but legs extended tripod and a means to get over the top of all. With a little bit of practice I got pretty good at it and just spliced the clips where necessary. Worked okay for me. Stills can also do just using the 10 second timer.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lizonly

Post by Lizonly » Mon, 12 Sep 2011 2:44 pm

Nakatago - Its a 2.8, 70-200mm (Canon) and it does look pretty intimidating, but is probably be the only one in the collection that is fast enough to get some shots... which is why the dilemma. If 200 is the limit, I hope it will be ok, if I do decide to go with it..

SMS - Thanks for that input. The tripod might be tagged along, only coz it will help the camera get its head above the crowd.. :).

Lyo

Post by Lyo » Tue, 13 Sep 2011 11:53 pm

On last year F1 there were a lot of visitors using both 70-200mm and 70-300mm without any problem.
I don't think that you should worry about using yours. Unless they don't have some new restriction rules for a photo gear - last year I didn't spot anything like that :)

Lizonly

Post by Lizonly » Wed, 14 Sep 2011 9:33 am

Cool! Thanks Lyo!

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 14 Sep 2011 10:21 am

Lyo wrote:On last year F1 there were a lot of visitors using both 70-200mm and 70-300mm without any problem.
I don't think that you should worry about using yours. Unless they don't have some new restriction rules for a photo gear - last year I didn't spot anything like that :)
...and this just proved my point. :wink:
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

zacayu

Re:

Post by zacayu » Thu, 16 Aug 2018 5:48 pm

Lyo wrote:On last year F1 there were a lot of visitors using both 70-200mm and 70-300mm without any problem.
Hey Lyo,

Now they all allow many of equipment but still not allow few of them

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Photography equipment allowed at F1 race

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 17 Aug 2018 12:05 am

It was only 7 years ago that Lyo posted... the last time she/he was active was Nov, 2012.

zacayu

Re: Photography equipment allowed at F1 race

Post by zacayu » Sun, 19 Aug 2018 1:53 pm

Hi

Thanks for the reply, I just newly joined it and look the topics thats why replied it