Singapore Expats Forum

Is Amazon Kindle 3 available in Singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:
Image
The Club Residences

econtse
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat, 10 Sep 2011
Location: Commonwealth

Is Amazon Kindle 3 available in Singapore

Postby econtse » Sat, 10 Sep 2011 11:27 am

Kindle 3 sounds good and cheap when comparing to ipad.
Also, I don't think I need a Tablet as my ebook reader to read my pdf document.

I checked gumtree and craiglist. Most of them charging for S$40-50 on top of the total importing cost.

Any one know any place selling Kindle at better price?

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: Is Amazon Kindle 3 available in Singapore

Postby ecureilx » Sat, 10 Sep 2011 12:34 pm

econtse wrote:Kindle 3 sounds good and cheap when comparing to ipad.
Also, I don't think I need a Tablet as my ebook reader to read my pdf document.

I checked gumtree and craiglist. Most of them charging for S$40-50 on top of the total importing cost.

Any one know any place selling Kindle at better price?


A friend of mine is selling, but .. he is essentially importing and selling it ..

So .. better get direct .. online is the best bet ..

econtse
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat, 10 Sep 2011
Location: Commonwealth

Postby econtse » Sat, 10 Sep 2011 12:38 pm

yea, I am thinking of direct deal but Amazon will not ship kindle to singapore.

Actually I notice a shop in Funan selling Kindle 2 and 3.
Once the sales lady told me Kindle 2 is selling @S$330, I walk way....

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Sat, 10 Sep 2011 12:40 pm

econtse wrote:yea, I am thinking of direct deal but Amazon will not ship kindle to singapore.

Actually I notice a shop in Funan selling Kindle 2 and 3.
Once the sales lady told me Kindle 2 is selling @S$330, I walk way....


The did ship a few to my colleagues at work, who got them direct from Amazon .. I was there when they ripped the packing ...

Let me find out for you on Monday how they did it .

econtse
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat, 10 Sep 2011
Location: Commonwealth

Postby econtse » Sat, 10 Sep 2011 12:43 pm

Oh really! Thanks Ecureilx

that would be greatly as we can skip all the middleman and transaction cost.
look forward to your update..

cheers

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Sat, 10 Sep 2011 3:27 pm

ecureilx wrote:
econtse wrote:yea, I am thinking of direct deal but Amazon will not ship kindle to singapore.

Actually I notice a shop in Funan selling Kindle 2 and 3.
Once the sales lady told me Kindle 2 is selling @S$330, I walk way....


The did ship a few to my colleagues at work, who got them direct from Amazon .. I was there when they ripped the packing ...

Let me find out for you on Monday how they did it .


While you're at it, could you tell me too? I'm sorting something out right now as well.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Sat, 10 Sep 2011 4:17 pm

nakatago wrote:While you're at it, could you tell me too? I'm sorting something out right now as well.


Sure sir .. on Monday :D :D

happigal
Member
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri, 12 Dec 2008

Postby happigal » Sat, 10 Sep 2011 5:25 pm

Order from Amazon and use vpost or borderlinx to ship it to Singapore.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Sat, 10 Sep 2011 5:29 pm

happigal wrote:Order from Amazon and use vpost or borderlinx to ship it to Singapore.


Those two have spotty track records. Moreover, ecureilx's pals claim they were directly shipped. At the very least, I want to hear how they did it/what they did before using either of them.

mrdodge
Regular
Regular
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue, 04 Jan 2005
Location: East Coast

Postby mrdodge » Sat, 10 Sep 2011 8:45 pm

I don't think gettig a kindle is so much of a problem, but the thing that has put me off is the fact that singapore is not in amazons list of supported countries and the various workarounds - gift cards, vans etc - all seem to be variously unreliable or just too much trouble. I would be more than interested to hear of people's experiences.

econtse
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat, 10 Sep 2011
Location: Commonwealth

Postby econtse » Sun, 11 Sep 2011 1:36 pm

Hi All
I searched around last night, finally I found some one selling kindle 3 @S$160 in hardwarezone marketplace. I called the guy and got my kindle in Holland village this morning.

can believe it's even lower than direct order from amazon.
USD$114 (wifi + special offer) + USD$21 (shipping) * 1.22 (FX Rate) = S$165.

:D

Modery
Member
Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed, 28 Jul 2010
Contact:

Postby Modery » Tue, 13 Sep 2011 12:03 pm

I got mine with the help of Borderlinx too, as well as some accessories later (reading light, e.g.)

User avatar
adione
Regular
Regular
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon, 28 Dec 2009
Location: east

Postby adione » Tue, 13 Sep 2011 3:00 pm

Bought a Nook eReader and got it deliver using vPost, straight to my home door.
For first time customer fo vPost there're promos and other discounts based on the credit card you are using to pay.
The shipping from their US address to SG took about 4 working days, instructions and tracking on the website are Ok

The whole thing can be done easily online and didn't take much time.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests