Where can I buy oyster opener in Singapore?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Post Reply
User avatar
choya
Member
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 6:49 am

Where can I buy oyster opener in Singapore?

Post by choya » Fri, 09 Sep 2011 4:20 pm

I've already tried Cold Storage and NTUC but they don't sell oyster opener. Just called Giant, and they are checking.

Anyone knows where to get one? Thanks!

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16516
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Post by JR8 » Fri, 09 Sep 2011 4:30 pm

Usually the places that stock oysters, sell shuckers too. Otherwise how are you meant to open them lol.

Or:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... ps&x=0&y=0

User avatar
choya
Member
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 6:49 am

Post by choya » Fri, 09 Sep 2011 4:37 pm

Just received a call from Giant, they dont sell either. :-|

Yea JR8, I really wonder how they expect us to open >_< when they dont sell the opener.

Is there really no other way than to order online from oversea?

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8348
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Post by nakatago » Fri, 09 Sep 2011 4:45 pm

Use a blunt butter knife and safety gloves when shucking?

http://www.marylandinfo.com/sponsorship ... sters.html

You can try looking for the Good Eats episode "Shell Game" where Alton Brown shucks oysters without a dedicated shucker. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9ivRuV3Ay8
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16516
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Post by JR8 » Fri, 09 Sep 2011 5:05 pm

I've tried opening oysters with knives and screwdrivers (and hammers) and what ever*. This is one instance where I don't think you can improvise... you really need a shucker.

p.s. to OP, yes I am amazed you cannot find one!


* Try asking SMS, he is the shellfish-master

dazzlebabe
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 285
Joined: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 4:52 pm
Location: Kuala Lumpur!

Post by dazzlebabe » Fri, 09 Sep 2011 5:07 pm

How about the kitchen specialty shops like Sia Huat and the likes?
Just me

DazzleBabe

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8348
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Post by nakatago » Fri, 09 Sep 2011 5:21 pm

JR8 wrote:I've tried opening oysters with knives and screwdrivers (and hammers) and what ever*. This is one instance where I don't think you can improvise... you really need a shucker.

p.s. to OP, yes I am amazed you cannot find one!


* Try asking SMS, he is the shellfish-master
Checked the episode. Yeah, you're right. He did use a shucker. But he also still used the gloves.

A hammer? Really?!? :roll:
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16516
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Post by JR8 » Fri, 09 Sep 2011 5:31 pm

nakatago wrote:
JR8 wrote:I've tried opening oysters with knives and screwdrivers (and hammers) and what ever*. This is one instance where I don't think you can improvise... you really need a shucker.

p.s. to OP, yes I am amazed you cannot find one!


* Try asking SMS, he is the shellfish-master
Checked the episode. Yeah, you're right. He did use a shucker. But he also still used the gloves.

A hammer? Really?!? :roll:
Yes. That was in desperation, not having a shucker (kinda my point).

User avatar
choya
Member
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 6:49 am

Post by choya » Fri, 09 Sep 2011 6:23 pm

Thanks all for the helpful replies. I've ordered 3 dozen of fresh oysters for a dinner tonight, the price was fantastic, at only $20/dozen, the oysters arrived looking fresh and big. But the catch was I gotta open them all by myself! :mad:

Now I'm gonna try opening them one by one with all the methods you guys recommended. Will let you guys know how it goes :cool:

Thanks nakatago, JR8, dazzlebabe!

btw dazzlebabe, may I know where is Sia Huat located at? Do you have their number?

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8348
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Post by nakatago » Fri, 09 Sep 2011 8:09 pm

choya wrote:I've ordered 3 dozen of fresh oysters for a dinner tonight,
(hops on a cab)
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39564
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 09 Sep 2011 8:35 pm

I'm afraid almost, if not all restaurants here who actually have dedicated shucking knives have either bought them while overseas or ordered them from

Australia or the US. Australia has some inexpensive ones as does the US. Getting them to ship overseas is another thing.

Same goes for crab knives. I'm currently looking at a set of 8 Carver Hall crab knives (they used to be made in Crisfield MD USA but went out of business in the '90's. The professional crab pickers swear by them. Good Crab & oyster knives are often 40 or 50 years old and are virtually indestructable. A common butter knife will work pretty good as an oyster knife though, get a solid one with a short blade (2.5-3.5" in length) and get a bunch of rubber tape and wrap the handle till it is pear shaped with the butt of the handle bigger than the front, that way you can get your palm over it and apply pressure that way without it pushing into your palm.

Also, if you've never done it before, I would recommend VERY strongly that you get a half a pair of leather welding gloves (A left hand glove if you are right handed) for holding the oyster otherwise you might have sme unnecessary holes in the palm of you hand that are rather painful (we have all done it because gloves weren't handy at the time and we knew we were good enough not to stab ourselves. BS! Get a pair of gloves! It also might be easier to try the side opening method of getting in the buggers.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spg6XZSJE0s
http://www.oysters.us/clever.html
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

jwsingapore
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun, 08 Jan 2012 1:59 pm

Where to order fresh oysters

Post by jwsingapore » Sun, 08 Jan 2012 2:06 pm

Hi choya, where do you order the fresh oysters? The price seems really good, would love to know. Thanks!


choya wrote:Thanks all for the helpful replies. I've ordered 3 dozen of fresh oysters for a dinner tonight, the price was fantastic, at only $20/dozen, the oysters arrived looking fresh and big. But the catch was I gotta open them all by myself! :mad:

Now I'm gonna try opening them one by one with all the methods you guys recommended. Will let you guys know how it goes :cool:

Thanks nakatago, JR8, dazzlebabe!

btw dazzlebabe, may I know where is Sia Huat located at? Do you have their number?

mrjester
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 8:37 am

Post by mrjester » Tue, 17 Jan 2012 9:40 pm

Sorry to post in an old post...

This thread helped me as I got an oyster set (knife and holder thingy) for christmas as I moaned I didn't have an oyster knife.

Sounds like I should buy a load and create a niche market when I get over there lol :P

jwsingapore
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun, 08 Jan 2012 1:59 pm

Post by jwsingapore » Wed, 18 Jan 2012 8:08 am

Sounds like u really should!!! Are u in the US or europe now? Can u buy one for me:)

mrjester wrote:Sorry to post in an old post...

This thread helped me as I got an oyster set (knife and holder thingy) for christmas as I moaned I didn't have an oyster knife.

Sounds like I should buy a load and create a niche market when I get over there lol :P

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39564
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 18 Jan 2012 11:04 am

As I am currently home in the US due to my father's funeral, maybe I should pick up a couple & bring them back to Singapore with me. I did manage to find a set of 10 carver hall crab knives in dad's old things! Talk about luck! Maybe pick up three or four wood handled oyster knives. Will have to look around as it is Oyster season now.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest