Singapore Expats Forum

Need advice- SPR Application

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 24 Sep 2011 2:25 pm

So were just about every other regular here who has been advising it's still pretty easy for Malaysian Chinese to get PR. How's it feel to be one of the majority for a change? :P :lol:

beppi
Manager
Manager

Postby beppi » Sat, 24 Sep 2011 4:46 pm

This (the driving license) is one aspect of the topic.
Road tax/insurance and the other paperwork needed to get a foreign car onto Singapo's roads is another.
On top of that, I have heard (cannot quote regulations - others may search and confirm) that PRs are not at all allowed to drive a foreign car in Singapore, even if that car is legally here, they have the right driving license and Singaporeans/non-PRs under the same circumstances are allowed to drive that car. This is to prevent PRs from registering a car elsewhere (e.g. Malaysia) and using it in Singapore regularly to avoid the high taxes/other costs (COE).

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Sat, 24 Sep 2011 5:35 pm

beppi wrote:This (the driving license) is one aspect of the topic.
Road tax/insurance and the other paperwork needed to get a foreign car onto Singapo's roads is another.
On top of that, I have heard (cannot quote regulations - others may search and confirm) that PRs are not at all allowed to drive a foreign car in Singapore, even if that car is legally here, they have the right driving license and Singaporeans/non-PRs under the same circumstances are allowed to drive that car. This is to prevent PRs from registering a car elsewhere (e.g. Malaysia) and using it in Singapore regularly to avoid the high taxes/other costs (COE).

I wrote about the PR - owning Malaysian car thing on another thread.

Singapore law don't allow it.

Not a rumour, but true, and I can refer enough Malaysians, who live in JB, but drive to Singapore in Singapore registered cars, for the above reason.

And, if at all, the govt forgot about that, the daily toll for Malaysian cars will make anybody sane to wonder why he wants to sneak in a Malaysian car into Singapore ..

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Sun, 25 Sep 2011 7:14 am

ecureilx wrote:
beppi wrote:This (the driving license) is one aspect of the topic.

I wrote about the PR - owning Malaysian car thing on another thread.

Singapore law don't allow it.

Not a rumour, but true, and I can refer enough Malaysians, who live in JB, but drive to Singapore in Singapore registered cars, for the above reason.

And, if at all, the govt forgot about that, the daily toll for Malaysian cars will make anybody sane to wonder why he wants to sneak in a Malaysian car into Singapore ..

I posted a reply to QRM about this matter years ago. I am correcting the perception about this matter. Yes, you can drive a Malaysian car by a Singaporean or SPR under the Road Traffic Act Section 11(1)(a) Cap 1976 and section 12(1) of the same act. There is a form " Application to drive a Malaysian registered in Singapore by a SGer or SPR" which you need to apply at LTA.
A valid insurance recognize in SG and M'sia, a valid SG D/L or M'sia D/L.. valid car registration and road tax. 10 days will be free and if you need to use it quite often in SG , there will be an excise custom tax of car value whatever is perceived value estimation by SG Custom and LTA. If you chose the former , grant to drive in SG will depends on LTA. If you chose the latter, there is no need to seek permission from LTA. You can seek clarification from See Swee Lian, Manager of Road Pricing LTA or Goh Kian Huat.
For those who are not sure please check with the persons above :cool: :cool:
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!