Singapore Expats

FTWM moving to Singapore soon

Juggling family and work is never easy. Discuss about it here.
wannamove
Chatter
Chatter

FTWM moving to Singapore soon

Post by wannamove » Thu, 08 Sep 2011 3:11 am

I will be moving to Singapore in October with my 2 yr old. Here she goes to daycare/preschool - they have a simple schedule and curriculum and typically do a lot of crafts and stories. The timings work really well as both my husband and me occassionally get swamped at work.

Now what is the equivalent in Singapore? I start work in November and I hear a lot of horror stories about waiting lists in schools. I really am not ready for a stay-at-home nanny and my daughter is already used to interaction with kids and I would like her to have that.

I am thinking of places along the East Coast or Upper East - please help ladies

Thank you

am1live

Re: FTWM moving to Singapore soon

Post by am1live » Tue, 27 Sep 2011 11:11 pm

wannamove wrote:I will be moving to Singapore in October with my 2 yr old. Here she goes to daycare/preschool - they have a simple schedule and curriculum and typically do a lot of crafts and stories. The timings work really well as both my husband and me occassionally get swamped at work.

Now what is the equivalent in Singapore? I start work in November and I hear a lot of horror stories about waiting lists in schools. I really am not ready for a stay-at-home nanny and my daughter is already used to interaction with kids and I would like her to have that.

Thank you
The pre schools here are quite well sctructured- mix of physical play, craft, alphabets, numbers and stories and fun. The most popular ones would be eton house

livingabroadsg

Great Kindy

Post by livingabroadsg » Sat, 15 Oct 2011 8:06 pm

There are a few great kindys on the east coast. White Lodge is great and used by people from all over. Rosemount Kindy is supposed to be great too as well as Play Days.
Check them out online.
Hope your move goes well and you settle in to Singapore quickly. let me know if you need anything.

wannamove
Chatter
Chatter

Re: FTWM moving to Singapore soon

Post by wannamove » Sat, 15 Oct 2011 10:25 pm

am1live wrote:
wannamove wrote:I will be moving to Singapore in October with my 2 yr old. Here she goes to daycare/preschool - they have a simple schedule and curriculum and typically do a lot of crafts and stories. The timings work really well as both my husband and me occassionally get swamped at work.

Thank you
The pre schools here are quite well sctructured- mix of physical play, craft, alphabets, numbers and stories and fun. The most popular ones would be eton house
Thank you. But the hours at Eton House seem to be not working for us. I prefer someplace where my daughter can be till 5 pm when we get back from work.

Thanks I am leaving this weekend and start our pre-school hunt soon

wannamove
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Great Kindy

Post by wannamove » Sat, 15 Oct 2011 10:29 pm

livingabroadsg wrote:There are a few great kindys on the east coast. White Lodge is great and used by people from all over. Rosemount Kindy is supposed to be great too as well as Play Days.
Check them out online.
Hope your move goes well and you settle in to Singapore quickly. let me know if you need anything.
Thank you! We are leaving this weekend and I am going to check out the places you suggested soon

riverside0874

Post by riverside0874 » Sat, 22 Oct 2011 12:35 am

which eton house is better?

MamaJen

Post by MamaJen » Thu, 03 Nov 2011 3:04 pm

Hi Riverside0874,

I visited 3 EtonHouses and found Newton location to be the best for me and my child. However regardless of the location, you might want to call them in advance to ask about the waitlist-situation. When I called two months ago, almost all of them were full.

WhiteLodge is nice too. I have registered my 18 months old there.

Good luck and hope this piece of information is helpful!

pbez

Post by pbez » Wed, 09 Nov 2011 8:57 pm

By this time you might already have registered your child in a school. I'd go for Eton House because a friend who had her child there really liked it (the one near Orchard). I had my child at White Lodge and I really did not like it. The teachers are really unprepared young women who really do not understand about children well. I even had issues there with sweet morning snacks. I ended up moving my child to the big International School one year sooner. Anyway, good luck to you!

katieewer

Post by katieewer » Wed, 25 Jan 2012 9:59 am

Hi Wannamove

Kindergartens follow school time tables (ie they look after your kids 9 - 3pm and you need to occupy them for 2 months over summer, a month over Xmas, and several weeks for other holidays - not practical if you have a full time job).

The alternative is child care centres. I can highly recommend Babyplanet in Jalan Ulu Siglap, they look after kids from 2 months to 3 years old. I'm currently looking for somewhere for my boy as he turns 3 soon and will have to leave, so I've seen every child care place in the East Coast, let me know if you need any info.

wannamove
Chatter
Chatter

Post by wannamove » Wed, 25 Jan 2012 1:40 pm

Thanks for bringing up an old post. My daughter now goes to Shaws. I looked into quite a few preschools before deciding on Shaws and I think we made a great decision that worked the best for our family

katieewer

Post by katieewer » Wed, 25 Jan 2012 2:35 pm

Oh great! Shaws is my favourite too but my son's still on the wait list - which one is your daughter at, TK or Mountbatten? Would love to know why you love it... thanks