Singapore Expats Forum

Very dissapointed...

Events and gatherings for the 30's Club
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Fri, 09 Sep 2011 2:53 pm

carteki wrote:Tis an interesting question - and something I've noticed too.

Couple of theories:

1) Extreme mobileness of most people here. Here for 2 years and then gone - a while back I met some "lifers" and they were saying that you really weren't even spoken too unless you'd been here for 5+ years and planned to stay - they weren't going to waste the energy.

2) Life is not so different from home, therefore there is no need to band together to form an enclave to "protect yourselves from the locals" and there is a critical mass of foreigners here that there is no need to befriend every new body on the street.

3) And to the people living in the more local areas - it possibly is a turf thing as in "hey, I'm the foreigner here living amongst the locals - who do you think you are?"

My 2c...

Very interesting. I'm going to go back to bed and ponder the transience thing.

Your 3) reminds me of Little Britain and 'I'm the only gay in the village' :lol:

x9200

Postby x9200 » Fri, 09 Sep 2011 5:53 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Yeah, first time I met you, you reminded me of a terrorist. The second time, just an overweight terrorist! :P :lol:

Anybody with even a basic knowledge of the subject of world terrorism would've instantly recognized it was an explosive belt! Damn, it even started to explode.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 09 Sep 2011 8:16 pm

x9200

Postby x9200 » Sat, 10 Sep 2011 11:53 am

But more seriously, I really don't have such problems with the expats.

Calmday
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Calmday » Sat, 10 Sep 2011 12:30 pm

I really think that the reason is that Singapore really isn’t that foreign. It’s actually not much different than moving from the UK to the US or Australia. I have lived in Venezuela, Angola, Brazil, and Korea where it’s not so easy to communicate or get around and you will (with the exception of Korea) get kid napped, killed, have the crap kicked out of you etc. if you don’t have somebody showing you the ropes. You kind of need each other to stay safe and sane. Singapore is just a very easy place to live and hence you really don’t need other expats.
We just had this discussion at work last week. Other project teams in other parts of the world get pretty close away from work. Here everyone just goes their own way as they would back home.

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asian_Geekette » Sun, 11 Sep 2011 12:17 am

x9200 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Yeah, first time I met you, you reminded me of a terrorist. The second time, just an overweight terrorist! :P :lol:

Anybody with even a basic knowledge of the subject of world terrorism would've instantly recognized it was an explosive belt! Damn, it even started to explode.

Yikes! I didn't notice that belt... well, I didn't look under the table when I first met you x9200... I was too busy trying to understand how to pronounce your name. :P
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sun, 11 Sep 2011 2:29 am

Could it be that they are all bank managers and need at least 5 stiff drinks :shock:

I have noticed it too, though when i keep bumping into the same people year in year out, I now give a smile and a nod! (hope they don't get the wrong impression) This is Singapore 21st century not Sin City anymore, so there isn't much to smile about, especially if you have to work 12hrs a day.

Then you have the snobbery too, to deal with! Actually the ones on the forum have been great company!

Brits have a tendency to be more upfront I guess, if your not from London.
London can be just as bad if you don't know anyone. Though once the ice is broken it's party time for many :wink: