Singapore Expats

Im out of here. Moving to perth.

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
luminoso
Regular
Regular

Post by luminoso » Tue, 13 Sep 2011 4:10 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Perth would be 100 times better. But it depends on what type of lifestyle you prefer. Give me wide open spaces, green grass, nice beaches to surf on, lie on. Stoll on, swim from, Space between you and your neighbours so you don't hear them farting all night long. Yeah, each to their own.....
And shops closing at 5 pm?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 13 Sep 2011 4:27 pm

luminoso wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Perth would be 100 times better. But it depends on what type of lifestyle you prefer. Give me wide open spaces, green grass, nice beaches to surf on, lie on. Stoll on, swim from, Space between you and your neighbours so you don't hear them farting all night long. Yeah, each to their own.....
And the next point would be about limited No of TV channels?

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Tue, 13 Sep 2011 4:56 pm

luminoso wrote:
You are definitely Singaporean
I HAVE MASTERS!

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 14 Sep 2011 12:44 am

Congratulations... Wishing you all the best in Perth.

The laid-back atmosphere there is to die-for. Envy you :P

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 14 Sep 2011 9:47 am

luminoso wrote:
Yeah, ain't it great! No traffic to speak of with all the shops closed. Less NOISE. AND maybe the biggest plus, the ability to see just how many stars are actually up there. On a clear night in Singapore you still cannot see the stars (what you actually are seeing are reflections from satellites and you just think their stars).

I hate shopping and I hate TV. Enjoy Calmday, you are going to be able to enjoy your nick!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Wed, 14 Sep 2011 11:22 am

I believe shops close at 5 even in Melbourne and Sydney. In fact my cousin who is in Sydney was telling me that even visiting the clinic after 5 PM is considered as an emergency case.

I guess thats because everyone there values their personal life including people who work in those department stores. Labour is not cheap there and not easy to import like in Singapore. Everyone needs to do their own work. Which I think is a good thing. In return the work that you do is also valued high and paid well unlike here in Singapore. So net-net I would say its still better to be in AU than SG.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 14 Sep 2011 11:28 am

Depends on how you view things. I've heard a Singaporean Chinese and a PRChinese say Australians are lazy. I didn't ask them why (didn't want to) but I guess one reason is just because they're out the door by 5, that's lazy. I really didn't want to discuss it so I just exclaimed, "Really? Hmmm..."

In my previous job, we could go home at 4 if we're in by 7 am. And during those days that I did go home at 4, I found that I could accomplish more--some personal projects, run errands, exercise. And that's on top of a solid good day of work. I remember staying only late at work when I had to wait for feedback from QA, but that's a whole different story.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

bluenose
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bluenose » Wed, 14 Sep 2011 1:33 pm

Good luck in Perth....
For me a visit to Perth was enough, living there would never appeal....to eat out is so expensive along with a lot of other stuff that is also expensive...even going for coffee was extortionate!
Not really into lying in the sun or surfing....so Singapore is cool(or warm!) for this kid. Each to their own as they say...so enjoy the experience!

nishantupadhya

Post by nishantupadhya » Wed, 14 Sep 2011 7:01 pm

Maybe it is fair to say that Perth is just a city in Australia. And also possible to get a car and drive around...backpack, enjoy the landscape and surrounding areas. Something that may not always be possible here without any planning.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 14 Sep 2011 7:14 pm

I visited twice and I loved Perth. The people were SO friendly.

My sibling and young family were seconded there too for a year, and had a great time.

If you're past needing to live right in the hubba, and have the money to travel I think it would be a good posting.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 14 Sep 2011 7:18 pm

JR8 wrote:I visited twice and I loved Perth. The people were SO friendly.

My sibling and young family were seconded there too for a year, and had a great time.

If you're past needing to live right in the hubba, and have the money to travel I think it would be a good posting.
As with a lot of things, your mileage may vary. Some people love living in Singapore, some people hate living in it.

So, the people* who say, "WHAT?!? You're crazy to want to live in Perth!!! I'd much rather stay in Singapore!", you could always invert the question.

*not necessarily those who replied but those people who are thinking it.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 14 Sep 2011 7:24 pm

Er yes, of course.

But what I think we're homing in on here, is that for certain types, ages, outlooks, interests, and certain family structures, Perth is a good posting.

I don't see or know many people who have been posted to Perth, so I think the point in itself is worth making.

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Wed, 14 Sep 2011 9:39 pm

bluenose wrote:Good luck in Perth....
For me a visit to Perth was enough, living there would never appeal....to eat out is so expensive along with a lot of other stuff that is also expensive...even going for coffee was extortionate!
Not really into lying in the sun or surfing....so Singapore is cool(or warm!) for this kid. Each to their own as they say...so enjoy the experience!
The savings on renting alone will make up for the cost of eating out. As I said before, labour is expensive. So you should learn to do stuff by yourself instead of walking down to a food court to eat chicken rice or having your maid to wash your car. :-|