Singapore Expats

Im out of here. Moving to perth.

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Calmday
Chatter
Chatter

Im out of here. Moving to perth.

Post by Calmday » Wed, 07 Sep 2011 10:02 pm

It’s been in the works for a couple of months but today I got the official offer. We are on our way to Perth Next month and couldn’t be happier about getting the hell out of here. :D
Room to breathe and more to do than shop, eat or drink. Its gona be a nice change.

Singapore = Nice place to visit but one of the most boring places on earth to live.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 07 Sep 2011 10:07 pm

So, you can finally respond affirmatively to people who tell, "if you don't like it here, get the hell out."

Good luck. Keep calm and carry on.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 07 Sep 2011 10:25 pm

See, what I've been saying all along. Good Luck and enjoy your new found freedom! I envy you (only a couple more years. I hope!).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Im out of here. Moving to perth.

Post by JR8 » Wed, 07 Sep 2011 11:00 pm

Calmday wrote:It’s been in the works for a couple of months but today I got the official offer. We are on our way to Perth Next month and couldn’t be happier about getting the hell out of here. :D
Room to breathe and more to do than shop, eat or drink. Its gona be a nice change.

Singapore = Nice place to visit but one of the most boring places on earth to live.
Three words

Freshwater
Yacht
Club
http://www.rfbyc.asn.au/

Oh, and good luck!

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Thu, 08 Sep 2011 6:44 am

Calmday wrote:more to do than shop, eat or drink.
With regards to Perth it's more like nothing to do, not even shop, eat or drink...

Good luck on the move! :) You heading over there for the long-run?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 08 Sep 2011 7:06 am

If he's young enough, the surf's reasonable. But again, there are some biiiiggg nasties in the water so I read a day or so ago.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Calmday
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Calmday » Thu, 08 Sep 2011 7:24 am

aster wrote:
Calmday wrote:more to do than shop, eat or drink.
With regards to Perth it's more like nothing to do, not even shop, eat or drink...

Good luck on the move! :) You heading over there for the long-run?
The scheduled startup date of the project I’m going on is mid 2016 so we will be there for at least that long. We are building our dream home back in the States now and aren’t planning on staying in OZ permanently.
Neither my wife nor I are really urban dwellers or enjoy condensed living. Most of my passions are around motor sports, the water or just being able to go out to my shed and tinker with stuff. We are both AFL fans. We also have quite a few friends from other assignments who are now there so it should be pretty good.
Don’t get me wrong about Singapore. It’s the nicest place we have ever lived but just not for us.

Calmday
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Calmday » Thu, 08 Sep 2011 7:26 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:If he's young enough, the surf's reasonable. But again, there are some biiiiggg nasties in the water so I read a day or so ago.
My wife surfs but Im to old and fat to get up on a board LOL.
I will just go fishing while she surfs.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 08 Sep 2011 8:02 am

Surf fishin's good as well! Used to do that a lot on the US East Coast. Enjoy.

sp4hsc1

Post by sp4hsc1 » Mon, 12 Sep 2011 4:36 pm

Calmday wrote:It’s been in the works for a couple of months but today I got the official offer. We are on our way to Perth Next month and couldn’t be happier about getting the hell out of here. :D

Thats great!! Pls do not ever step in again.

Thank you.

Calmday
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Calmday » Mon, 12 Sep 2011 9:32 pm

Let me guess. Bitter grocery store cashier? Oh wait, maybe you’re a waiter in some cheesy white table cloth restaurant or maybe you’re a table cleaner at the local hawker stand? No matter what it is I’m sure that you are pretty lowly. Ya that would make me bitter and jealous too except I worked my ass off so that I wouldn’t have be like you.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Mon, 12 Sep 2011 10:14 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:If he's young enough, the surf's reasonable. But again, there are some biiiiggg nasties in the water so I read a day or so ago.
This is apparently the worst thing you can encounter, and ironically it's almost invisible:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irukandji_jellyfish

Can they be found in the waters around Perth, or are we only looking at Queensland and higher up areas?

luminoso
Regular
Regular

Post by luminoso » Tue, 13 Sep 2011 2:16 pm

Calmday wrote: Singapore = Nice place to visit but one of the most boring places on earth to live.
And you think Perth is going to be more exciting?

Seriously, good luck with that -- I think Perth is one of the most boring places on Earth. Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane are all much better.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 13 Sep 2011 3:18 pm

Perth would be 100 times better. But it depends on what type of lifestyle you prefer. Give me wide open spaces, green grass, nice beaches to surf on, lie on. Stoll on, swim from, Space between you and your neighbours so you don't hear them farting all night long. Yeah, each to their own.....

Calmday
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Calmday » Tue, 13 Sep 2011 4:02 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Perth would be 100 times better. But it depends on what type of lifestyle you prefer. Give me wide open spaces, green grass, nice beaches to surf on, lie on. Stoll on, swim from, Space between you and your neighbours so you don't hear them farting all night long. Yeah, each to their own.....
Heck yeah! All of that with a side of Drag Racing, V-8 Super Cars, Fishing and The West Coast Eagles. I’m there. No city boy here. I like a slower pace with room to breathe.