Singapore Expats

Documentation needed to rent

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
maxidog

Documentation needed to rent

Post by maxidog » Wed, 07 Sep 2011 12:38 am

Hi folks,

I'm in the process of getting an EntrePass at the moment -- I have the AIP letter and the IPA letter should be with me this week.

Meanwhile, I made a trip over to Sing a couple of weeks back to look at homes and schools. Found a great apartment and negotiated a decent price on it, but the landlord is making a big fuss about needing a copy of the actual EntrePass card before handing over the keys. At least I think he is, communication skills not being his strong suit.

I'm not planning to visit Sing again before the day I arrive to move in, so all I'll have at that time is the IPA letter (valid for six months). Who's being unreasonable, me trying to move in without full documentation, or the landlord insisting on a copy of the pass before move in?

Cheers,

Max

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 07 Sep 2011 2:10 am

You cannot rent property unless you have SG residency. This might be the issue.

What is the status, have you signed a Tenancy Agreement, or paid any monies yet?...

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 07 Sep 2011 6:54 am

He's following the law.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

maxidog

Post by maxidog » Wed, 07 Sep 2011 10:16 am

I've signed the Letter of Intent, but haven't paid any money as I was going to do an international transfer once the visa question was sorted. I realise the law is that you have to have a valid visa to rent, but I'm a bit surprised a letter from MOM saying "come and get your visa" isn't good enough in practice.

Sounds like I should let this flat go and look at serviced accommodation while I get the paperwork sorted.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 07 Sep 2011 10:46 am

IPA does not confirm residency. You may change your mind in any time and not collect your pass and then LL can be in trouble. What's strange about this?
https://www.psi.gov.sg/NASApp/tmf/TMFSe ... ES-FTCHECK
http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... igner.aspx

It is probably legal to enter a tenancy agreement (but not to proceed to the premises handover) under the condition of the residency validity. If I were the LL I might agree to sign an agreement providing you pay up in front a standard security deposit and at least 1 month of rental. This money should be forfeited as a compensation to the LL if you fail to present the required document on the agreed date.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 07 Sep 2011 10:48 am

It wouldn't surprise me if not having a valid IC/FIN# invalidates any rental contract. If the landlord can't wait, then yes a Serviced Apartment might be the route to go.

Interesting that the landlord entertained a LOI with you having no visa. I'd not be surprised if he is still marketing it as if that didn't happen.

maxidog

Post by maxidog » Wed, 07 Sep 2011 2:05 pm

Thanks chaps. It takes a while to learn what's normal behaviour in a new country (and the law isn't always the best guide), so your experience is appreciated.