Anyone living in JB working in spore?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
totorosy

Anyone living in JB working in spore?

Post by totorosy » Wed, 24 Nov 2004 9:49 pm

Anyone living in JB and working in Singapore? Could you share your thoughts? We are thinking about moving to JB because houses in Singapore are just too expensive. I recently went to see a showflat in the East and talked to an agent and a banker. My jaw dropped the moment I saw the figures. 250K for just a downpayment and 3.5K/month for loan for 30 years, not to mention the monthly maintenanc fee amounting to 240. Across the causeway, you can get a nice semi-D for 200K SGD. We are working in central location. How long would be the commute?

Apache

Re: Anyone living in JB working in spore?

Post by Apache » Thu, 25 Nov 2004 4:16 pm

Are you Singaporean or from another country? Have you been to JB yet?
The woodlands 'run' is total chaos...be prepared to leave very early in the morning for the commute. The Tuas side may be a bit easier.

Do you have children etc? Where will they go to school? You may get a bigger house yes and some stuff may be cheaper, it really depends.. JB is NOT cheap.. its also very, very filthy!

Other that the house, what other reasons would you have to live in JB?

totorosy wrote:Anyone living in JB and working in Singapore? Could you share your thoughts? We are thinking about moving to JB because houses in Singapore are just too expensive. I recently went to see a showflat in the East and talked to an agent and a banker. My jaw dropped the moment I saw the figures. 250K for just a downpayment and 3.5K/month for loan for 30 years, not to mention the monthly maintenanc fee amounting to 240. Across the causeway, you can get a nice semi-D for 200K SGD. We are working in central location. How long would be the commute?

Totorosy

Thanks!

Post by Totorosy » Thu, 25 Nov 2004 8:12 pm

Thanks, Apache. Appreciate your thoughts. To answer your questions:
No. I am not Singaporean and I have not been to JB. We do pass through JB once or twice a month when my wife and I visit her parents up north in central Johor. I heard a lot of bad things about JB from Singaporean colleagues. But none of them have actually lived or stayed in JB so I want to hear it from someone who actually did. Am I right in saying that you actually lived and stayed in JB? We do not have kids yet. Are there no good schools in JB? Without doubt, when it comes to academics Singapore is better. But I believe Singapore's educational system has been too focused on saturating kids with book knowledge.

Apart from a bigger and spacious house, there is really not much reason to stay in JB. I just wish Singapore's houses are more affordable.

pastrian.allac

Post by pastrian.allac » Fri, 26 Nov 2004 10:05 am

[font=Lucida Console]I used to travel to JB to stay over the weekend and back to SG on Monday morning for work. I took public transport (train/bus). During peak hours, the bus service could be quite fast. Otherwise, u could consider taking the train, which is less crowded at the custom and apparently, u dont have to wait for the bus coz the train will wait for u upon custom clearance. If u're going to take bikes to work, I'm sorry to tell u that the lanes are completely in mess and polluted (with the exhaust discharge etc). In long term, it won't do ur health any good though u might be able to save.

Or, if you could afford to pay $30 for vehicle entry during weekdays, then u could consider driving. You could buy the car from Malaysia, but sometimes the car lanes congestion could be a pain in the arse. If you're a PR, guess u gotta fork out money to feed and rear a SG car. So you gotta take into account the traffic u gotta bear with to and fro SG, which are normally at its peak during the period u travel.

I believe there're good schools in JB. It's a matter of how you search for it, as well as the area u're staying. But bear in mind that JB is rather infamous for its notoriety. However, it doesn't mean it's totally bad though. Nothing's perfect, u gotta give and take. Make ur choice wisely. Good luck!
[/font]

Apache

Post by Apache » Fri, 26 Nov 2004 12:41 pm

if u r comfortable giving me yr email then i can address all your issues one way or another..i lived there as a single person for 6 months and i also commuted before and after my work stint there. I took the bus, sometimes a cab. Its IS dirty, extremely! It IS dangerous (thift, snatch thieves, etc), people drive like crazy and the Johoreans have become greedy because of the singaporeans coming across and spending their money.

I dont want to give u 'generic' information, if i understand yr situation as a whole,like where u work, is it just u commuting or is it u and yr wife , etc etc and presumably children some day.. who will need schooling.. maybe cross that bridge when u come to it. Lots of Johoreans send their children to spore schools but u may find some good schools in Msia, maybe even some private ones..

then there is your lifestyle after work... what u want to do on weekends, where u want to be.. would suggest u weigh all the options first..

Totorosy wrote:Thanks, Apache. Appreciate your thoughts. To answer your questions:
No. I am not Singaporean and I have not been to JB. We do pass through JB once or twice a month when my wife and I visit her parents up north in central Johor. I heard a lot of bad things about JB from Singaporean colleagues. But none of them have actually lived or stayed in JB so I want to hear it from someone who actually did. Am I right in saying that you actually lived and stayed in JB? We do not have kids yet. Are there no good schools in JB? Without doubt, when it comes to academics Singapore is better. But I believe Singapore's educational system has been too focused on saturating kids with book knowledge.

Apart from a bigger and spacious house, there is really not much reason to stay in JB. I just wish Singapore's houses are more affordable.

totorosy

JB that bad?

Post by totorosy » Fri, 26 Nov 2004 9:33 pm

Our PR application is under way. If all goes well, we should be able to get it in another month or so. When we moved to Singapore last year, it was sort of a rush. We did not have much time to look for a house so we just settled for a f/furnished hdb in the east. Our lease contract will be over in another month so we are considering our options. Rent or buy? Freehold or Leasehold? Singapore or Malaysia(JB)? Correct me if I am wrong but I dont think Singapore PR are eligible to buy HDB. Also, until we get our PR the most we can get is a 70% loan. So there are really so many factors, including of course, education of our future children.

pastrian.allac

Post by pastrian.allac » Mon, 29 Nov 2004 1:13 pm

[font=Courier New]SPR can buy house, if both you and your wife are one. Of course, no new HDB flat for SPR, only resale. As for the loan problems, I suggest you go to CPF website to check out OR make a trip down there for better clarification. Don't worry, you'll find your way out if you don't mind going to the related government centres for information. They'll be more willing to help. The most important and thumb of rule is don't make ur decision in a hurry. [/font]

dev

u can't afford it..

Post by dev » Fri, 24 Dec 2004 4:08 pm

Cost of housing is a part of cost of living, right? Most expats get housing provided, or an allowance. If you're living on some kind of local conditions, and making less than about 10k per month, sg is not worth it.

totorosy

local terms

Post by totorosy » Sat, 25 Dec 2004 4:04 pm

we are working on local terms and not getting any housing allowance.
so, SG property not worth buying? We've seen some showflats but it seems that we can only afford leasehold or lower-end freehold condos. really confused.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 08 Dec 2006 3:13 pm

pastrian.allac wrote:[font=Courier New]SPR can buy house, if both you and your wife are one. Of course, no new HDB flat for SPR, only resale. As for the loan problems, I suggest you go to CPF website to check out OR make a trip down there for better clarification. Don't worry, you'll find your way out if you don't mind going to the related government centres for information. They'll be more willing to help. The most important and thumb of rule is don't make ur decision in a hurry. [/font]
Don't fully understand this explanation, I.m looking into buying HDB flat, however the rumour is foreigner pr cannot purchase HDB, then above it only says resale.

I guess the subsidy citizens, get means they cannot resell for a certain amount of years?

So am i right to think a PR can buy a HDB apartment providing the actual age limit of the apartment meets the resale terms and conditions of the subsidy agreement?