Singapore Expats Forum

SGD 6k per month

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

vicky02
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun, 04 Sep 2011

SGD 6k per month

Postby vicky02 » Sun, 04 Sep 2011 9:30 pm

How is 6k per month for 5.5 years of experience in java/J2ee (IT Industry)?I am not a Singaporean so don't know much about Singapore market.I will be relocating with my wife.So please advise, Is it a good or at least a decent offer considering the cost of living there.
Thanks.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34789
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 04 Sep 2011 10:31 pm

Take some time to do some research in the threads on this board. Use the search function located just below the "profile" link at the upper right side of this page. All your answers are already here, except what YOU are willing to bear.

revhappy
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1067
Joined: Wed, 10 Jun 2009

Postby revhappy » Tue, 06 Sep 2011 5:05 pm

Yeah do a lot of research. especially on the current rentals. If you are reasonably well employed in India, it doesnt really make sense to move over to Singapore at 6k SGD at current rental levels and do remember once you come here you are more or less stuck in the current job, opportunities come by very rarely over here.

All the best!

pinkhearts15
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat, 10 Sep 2011

Postby pinkhearts15 » Sat, 10 Sep 2011 12:28 am

revhappy wrote:Yeah do a lot of research. especially on the current rentals. If you are reasonably well employed in India, it doesnt really make sense to move over to Singapore at 6k SGD at current rental levels and do remember once you come here you are more or less stuck in the current job, opportunities come by very rarely over here.

All the best!


Totally agree! Singapore rise of living cost is slowly but surely killing. Though not as high as New York Tokyo etc but still...

revhappy
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1067
Joined: Wed, 10 Jun 2009

Postby revhappy » Sat, 10 Sep 2011 4:22 pm

pinkhearts15 wrote:
revhappy wrote:Yeah do a lot of research. especially on the current rentals. If you are reasonably well employed in India, it doesnt really make sense to move over to Singapore at 6k SGD at current rental levels and do remember once you come here you are more or less stuck in the current job, opportunities come by very rarely over here.

All the best!


Totally agree! Singapore rise of living cost is slowly but surely killing. Though not as high as New York Tokyo etc but still...


Well if you work in New York you can still live in New Jersey for cheap and drive a car and enjoy the awesome weather. Here you need to rent a bullshit HDB for higher price and also travel in MRT AKA as Human sardines :D

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34789
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 10 Sep 2011 4:43 pm

Of course it like sardines here, but in NYC it's like sardines in the middle of gang wars, so comparatively speaking, it's much better here. I sold my car 18 years ago and started using the MRT and I'm still doing so. Recently I was given a car to use by a good friend who's off in Indonesia on a three year contract. I drive it maybe 2 days a week (one is Saturday as I only work half days and sometimes it sits for a week at a time as I find using public transport much easier and easier on the stress factor as the average Singaporean driver doesn't drive but just aims the car.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Sat, 10 Sep 2011 4:54 pm

revhappy wrote:Well if you work in New York you can still live in New Jersey for cheap and drive a car and enjoy the awesome weather. Here you need to rent a bullshit HDB for higher price and also travel in MRT AKA as Human sardines :D


Tokyo. Yamanote Line.

'nuff said.

revhappy
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1067
Joined: Wed, 10 Jun 2009

Postby revhappy » Sat, 10 Sep 2011 7:51 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Of course it like sardines here, but in NYC it's like sardines in the middle of gang wars, so comparatively speaking, it's much better here. I sold my car 18 years ago and started using the MRT and I'm still doing so. Recently I was given a car to use by a good friend who's off in Indonesia on a three year contract. I drive it maybe 2 days a week (one is Saturday as I only work half days and sometimes it sits for a week at a time as I find using public transport much easier and easier on the stress factor as the average Singaporean driver doesn't drive but just aims the car.


Yeah, I agree, the best thing is to live and work in a smaller US city. I had a short stint at Dallas TX and I loved every bit of it, especially the huge SUVs like GMC, Dodge etc, but weather was more or less like the tropics. Given a chance I would like to go there again and trade off a Dodge Ram with MRT anyday :)

luminoso
Regular
Regular
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue, 13 Sep 2011

Postby luminoso » Tue, 13 Sep 2011 2:11 pm

It's a good offer. Salaries in IT are lower because the industry has been flooded by cheap labour from India, Burma, China and the Philippines - they are coming to Singapore (some on fake degrees) and are prepared to work for lower wages. As such, any offer in excess of $5,000 is a good one.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34789
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 13 Sep 2011 3:13 pm

Of course, local wages are depressed even more due to lack of quality even with their real degrees. :-|


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest