Singapore Expats Forum

Information needed on employment contract

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

vicky02

Information needed on employment contract

Postby vicky02 » Sun, 04 Sep 2011 9:11 pm

I recently got a job offer from one of the IT services company in Singapore.The offer letter states that if I leave the job within an year
then I would have to repay the expenses incurred on:

1) Air Tickets for me and my spouse
2) Initial accommodation for 15 days
3) EP for me and DP for my spouse
4) Recruitment cost @ 8.33% on the annual income.

I just want to know is it common to have these clauses in the offer letter.As I have never been to Singapore , I don't have any idea about what are the usual clauses in the offer letter there.So please advice.
Thanks in advance.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 04 Sep 2011 10:29 pm

If you are happy with the clauses, sign the contract. If you are NOT, don't sign it. It's pretty simple really. Either you can live with it or you can't. Once you sign it, regardless of what happens you will be bound by the contract. Is it typical, not necessarily, but also not unheard of either. At the end of the day, it's your choice.

carteki
Editor
Editor

Postby carteki » Mon, 05 Sep 2011 11:26 am

good on you for actually READING the contract. I had a friend here who gritted it out for 12 months before she could afford to go home again. Having said that the clause is fairly standard.
What I would probably ask for is that the cost be pro-rated for time actually worked. So if you stay 6 months you pay 50% of the costs.