Singapore Expats

Indefinite ban?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
clonedinsanity

Indefinite ban?

Post by clonedinsanity » Sat, 03 Sep 2011 3:26 am

I was deported from Singapore after committing two crimes, one civil (Shop theft) and one immigration (Overstay of 36 days) when I was 17. When being deported (I paid my full fine of around S$ 2.5K for my release after serving about a week of imprisonment), I was notified that I could not re-enter Singapore without permission from the controller of immigrations. I entered Singapore on the 25th of August 2009 on a social visit pass and received a chop for 30 days of staying. On the last page of my passport, there are two seals. One is the regular green "departed" seal dated the 28th of October 2009, and another one is a blue seal that says "Visit Pass Applied for 29th October 2009".

I applied for visa through the typical process using the sponsorship letter provided by Malaysian Airlines but it was rejected.

Some lawyer said that I have been banned from Singapore indefinitely. Is that the equivalent of a life time ban? Is there a chance he is wrong? What is my best bet if I attempt to re-enter? (My lawyer based his judgement on the information stated above and thinks I need to appeal)

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sat, 03 Sep 2011 3:36 am

Indefinite, means no set time limit.

You need to write to ICA and request permission from the Controller. Though with a criminal record it is doubtful you will be allowed into Singapore. Though if you don't ask you will never know! So don't listen to any remarks on this board, as no one can answer! Only make opinions based on the above.

clonedinsanity

Post by clonedinsanity » Sat, 03 Sep 2011 3:43 am

Thank you for your prompt reply. My purpose of re-entering Singapore is to set up a business and I am willing to deposit any amount to the ICA that would further ensure my weight for entry. I don't really trust lawyers as they tend to increase the hassle to make more money. Do you think, under the conditions mentioned, and given the fact that I was a minor during the time of conviction that it is a worthy chance that I may re-enter?

P.S: Is indefinite synonymous to a life ban then? What do you make of my situation?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sat, 03 Sep 2011 4:08 am

clonedinsanity wrote:Thank you for your prompt reply. My purpose of re-entering Singapore is to set up a business and I am willing to deposit any amount to the ICA that would further ensure my weight for entry. I don't really trust lawyers as they tend to increase the hassle to make more money. Do you think, under the conditions mentioned, and given the fact that I was a minor during the time of conviction that it is a worthy chance that I may re-enter?

P.S: Is indefinite synonymous to a life ban then? What do you make of my situation?
Could well be a life ban. Only immigration can tell you! Ask if you can place a significant bond if that will help?

clonedinsanity

Post by clonedinsanity » Sat, 03 Sep 2011 4:18 am

To whom it may concern,

I am x, a x citizen, bearing the passport number x 12345, date of birth being xx/xx/xxxx. I am an ex-offender looking for re-entry into Singapore. I served a short period of police and ICA custody (Case number xxxxx xxxx, Inmate number xxxx) and paid the fine I was sentenced to as consequences of the laws I broke in Singapore.

On my release from the ICA, before being deported, I was told that I would require permission from the Controller of Immigrations of Singapore before re-entry. I applied for a visa from the Singapore Consulate in x, but the application was rejected for undisclosed reasons.

It has been three years since I was banned. My lawyer deemed this situation as an indefinite ban. The status of my permissibility for entry is still vague.

My questions are:

1) Would it be possible to check if I am still banned from entering Singapore?

2) If the above is positive, is this ban for an indefinite period?

3) If the ban is not for an indefinite period, how long is this ban applicable?

4) If the ban is for an indefinite period, how is it possible to have it lifted?

5) If the ban still exists, am I allowed to transit through Singapore? (i.e taking connecting flights to other countries using Singapore as a transit airport)

Looking forward to your reply.
The above has been dispatched to the ICA via e-mail. Thank you for your replies.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 03 Sep 2011 9:42 am

You made IMO already two mistakes: first, serious, you did not get the permission from the controller before applying for anything - this way you already showed them that you could not follow or could not comprehend some basic instructions. 2nd mistake, you did not tell them what was the reason you wanted to reenter Singapore.

clonedinsanity

Post by clonedinsanity » Sat, 03 Sep 2011 1:54 pm

x9200 wrote:You made IMO already two mistakes: first, serious, you did not get the permission from the controller before applying for anything - this way you already showed them that you could not follow or could not comprehend some basic instructions.
I had no idea what I had to do before I applied. I applied in 2009 a while after I was deported and have not applied since. After the application was rejected, I found out who the controller was supposed to be.
x9200 wrote:2nd mistake, you did not tell them what was the reason you wanted to reenter Singapore.
I have not even applied for appeal yet. The above e-mail is merely a query regarding the status of my ban.

It's Saturday today. Should take one more day for them to reply to that e-mail. By the way, can an indefinite ban be lifted without anyone applying, i.e from the side of the ICA after a certain period of no entry?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 03 Sep 2011 3:36 pm

It is as straight as a broomstick: you supposed to get the permission first and you did not. It's really not a rocket science. Apparently neither ksl nor myself had any problem with this part, why was it difficult to you?

clonedinsanity

Post by clonedinsanity » Sat, 03 Sep 2011 9:59 pm

x9200 wrote:It is as straight as a broomstick: you supposed to get the permission first and you did not. It's really not a rocket science. Apparently neither ksl nor myself had any problem with this part, why was it difficult to you?
I was told to get permission before entering Singapore, not prior to visa application. I had this idea that applying for the visa automatically means applying for the permission. I never attempted to enter Singapore or anything, just the visa application. I really don't see how that could be wrong when the ICA does not have a very good online interaction service. The e-mail I sent previously was through their feedback address because that was the most relevant thing I could find. I'm not native Singaporean and not familiar with Singaporean formalities and had the idea that the application went as follows:

Visa application-->Application processed by controller of immigrations--->Visa application output

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 04 Sep 2011 11:28 am

Common sense tells me, if something was emphasized to me and it is important I check it first before making any move. The same common sense tells me that not everything is to be taken literally - I bet you were not told that this should be the controller of Singapore. I can be wrong but at the end of the day this is your problem. Anyway, this is not the only, here possibly minor factor, influencing your approval. The past convictions are likely to be much more impactful.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 05 Sep 2011 10:16 am

What type of business are you attempting to establish? Please let us know so those of us reading this post know not to invest in it :)

clonedinsanity

Post by clonedinsanity » Mon, 05 Sep 2011 10:26 am

zzm9980 wrote:What type of business are you attempting to establish? Please let us know so those of us reading this post know not to invest in it :)
very funny...

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 05 Sep 2011 10:26 am

zzm9980 wrote:What type of business are you attempting to establish? Please let us know so those of us reading this post know not to invest in it :)
Monkey? :roll:
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."