Singapore Expats

Commission for Tenant Agent

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
Post Reply
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 1:54 pm

Post by luminoso » Tue, 13 Sep 2011 6:26 pm

x9200 wrote:CEA not IEA.
How much power does the CEA really have to regulate the conduct of real estate agents?

After all, isn't the CEA a professional/industrial body comprised of real estate professionals (probably ex-agents or agency executives) themselves, much like the law society or medical society?

Why would they want to come down hard on their own kind when it would be in their interests to just give the errant agents a light slap on the wrist?

I would be more inclined to pursue such matters through CASE or the Small Claims Tribunal (is it even possible)?

Search By

Posts: 1768
Joined: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 11:15 am
Location: Ahlongistan (O$P$)

Post by beppi » Tue, 13 Sep 2011 7:42 pm

The CEA is a government agency founded to improve the (very bad) reputation property agents have here and thus probably has an interest in achieving that goal.
They also control (and thus can revoke) licenses for agents.
In reality, they will usually only issue a warning letter to errant agents. But that might well scare them into not doing it again.
In addition, most agents work as part of companies like ERA or PrpNex and might lose standing there if not behaving properly. (I assume the companies will be informed of warning letters.)

x9200: Thanks for pointing out my IEA/CEA error. I will edit my post.

Posts: 10067
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by x9200 » Tue, 13 Sep 2011 9:28 pm

luminoso wrote:I would be more inclined to pursue such matters through CASE or the Small Claims Tribunal (is it even possible)?
CASE may take it although they do not handle direct LL/tenant related disputes so I am not that sure they will do it for agent / tenant problems (plus the problems with legal relation I mentioned below). SCT, they handle LL/tenant with the lease term not exceeding two years but for the tenant - agent, esp. if the agent is of the LL? The landlord's agent is not a legal (contract) party to the tenant so (s)he has no legal obligation towards the tenant. IMO only the ethical part can be questioned here so CEA seems to be the best option.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Last post

Return to “Property Talk, Housing & Rental”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests