Singapore Expats Forum

The extension of legal residence in SG while job-seeking

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:
The Club Residences

mitchel

The extension of legal residence in SG while job-seeking

Postby mitchel » Fri, 02 Sep 2011 12:53 am

Hello, friends!
I'm going to visit Singapore soon for the purpose of joob-seeking. Due to rules with my visa i may stay here for 30 days, then i oblidged to leave the state.
But i am harried by dim doubts that i will need more time to accomplish my task. So i consider next ways to extend legal residence:
1. to obtain a Student Pass. This way requires money expenditure, but enough reliable
2. to get engaged into volunteers' activities. Maybe somebody know, do these agencies provide accomodation and visa assistance for foreign volunteers?
3. to strive for EPEC. I applied for EPEC once, but my application had been rejected, nevertheless i am sure that I am eligible to obtain EPEC because of my education and work experience (i have a PhD in Biology and graduated with Masters in Chemistry, these points are in Demand). Does someone know, is it rational do prove own eligibility to ICA? to bring them an educational certificates, diplomas etc...?
4. something options else?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Fri, 02 Sep 2011 1:01 am

something options else?

How about professional gambler instructor? :lol: Lots of people losing money!

sundaymorningstaple

Re: The extension of legal residence in SG while job-seeking

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 02 Sep 2011 6:53 am

mitchel wrote:Hello, friends!
I'm going to visit Singapore soon for the purpose of joob-seeking. Due to rules with my visa i may stay here for 30 days, then i oblidged to leave the state.
But i am harried by dim doubts that i will need more time to accomplish my task. So i consider next ways to extend legal residence:
1. to obtain a Student Pass. This way requires money expenditure, but enough reliable
2. to get engaged into volunteers' activities. Maybe somebody know, do these agencies provide accomodation and visa assistance for foreign volunteers?

No.

3. to strive for EPEC. I applied for EPEC once, but my application had been rejected, nevertheless i am sure that I am eligible to obtain EPEC because of my education and work experience (i have a PhD in Biology and graduated with Masters in Chemistry, these points are in Demand). Does someone know, is it rational do prove own eligibility to ICA? to bring them an educational certificates, diplomas etc...?

Having a Masters or PhD doesn't necessarily mean you will qualify for an EPEC. You have to be educated in one of MOM list of schools. Even then, if you are ethnically the wrong flavour of the month, it probably won't happen either. And no, there is not an "equal opportunity board" here either.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Postby beppi » Fri, 02 Sep 2011 4:36 pm

mitchel wrote:I'm going to visit Singapore soon for the purpose of joob-seeking. Due to rules with my visa i may stay here for 30 days, then i oblidged to leave the state.

You are naive to think you can get a job in not much more than a month!
I once hosted a friend (in better economic times than now, and with an MBA), who gave up after 6 months and left for home. Are you prepared for that? He was French. Are you too, by any chance?

I don't think it is stated anywhere that with that and that you are eligible for an EPEC. It says "eligible to apply", which means they will look at your background and decide (by their own unpublished and ever changing criteria) to accept or reject you.
Trying to convince the Singapore government that you are right and they are wrong will never work. Don't waste your time on it!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Fri, 02 Sep 2011 5:48 pm

mitchel wrote:Hello, friends!

30 days is not long enough, unless you have interviews lined up and are going there to meet people face to face.

I'd be concerned that your EPEC was rejected. That in as many words suggests they don't think - on the submitted documents - you are eligible for an EP. In which case there seems little point going to Singapore and job-hunting.

Did you not have to attach scanned copies of your diplomas etc with EPEC your application?

Still, like SMS said, unless your alma mater's are on the list approved by the Ministry of Manpower they count for nothing I'm afraid to say.

Do you have any interviews lined up?

beppi
Manager
Manager

Postby beppi » Fri, 02 Sep 2011 6:02 pm

Very good point JR8 brought up: EPEC and EP criteria onto the applicant are the same, so if EPEC is rejected, EP will, too.

EP application takes a month, so about two months is the minimum from arrival to start of work, if interviews are lined up and everything goes smoothly (it never does!).