Singapore Expats

Calling all foodies

New here? Don't be shy. Introduce yourself here and expand your social network!
Kvvok

Calling all foodies

Post by Kvvok » Fri, 02 Sep 2011 12:29 am

Hello, my name is Andrew, 27/m from the US, still relatively new to Singapore. I've heard that this city has some of the best food in South East Asia, but it seems to be eluding me for whatever reason. So I'm giving a shout out for anyone who loves food and wants to try out new restaurants with me. Anything from hawker centers to fine dining, everything is fair game. Shoot me a private message if you're interested in joining me on my quest for good food, I'm on it quite often since I prefer to eat at least three times a day ;)

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Fri, 02 Sep 2011 10:15 am

Andrew, you heard wrong about the food!! If you want good food, try Vietnam, Thailand or Malaysia. If you want average hawker food then Singapore is right up your alley.

To me most of the local stands are pretty tasteless and taste exactly the same like some franchised, fast food model.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Fri, 02 Sep 2011 10:24 am

BillyB wrote:Andrew, you heard wrong about the food!! If you want good food, try Vietnam, Thailand or Malaysia. If you want average hawker food then Singapore is right up your alley.

To me most of the local stands are pretty tasteless and taste exactly the same like some franchised, fast food model.
As long as its only $3 then I don't mind :D
Life is short, paddle harder!!

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Fri, 02 Sep 2011 10:31 am

Barnsley wrote:
BillyB wrote:Andrew, you heard wrong about the food!! If you want good food, try Vietnam, Thailand or Malaysia. If you want average hawker food then Singapore is right up your alley.

As long as its only $3 then I don't mind :D
2.80 was the cheapest meal I ever ate here.......and I don't even want to think where the meat in that dish came from!!

Kvvok

Post by Kvvok » Fri, 02 Sep 2011 11:22 am

I'm inclined to agree with your assessment Billy, but I'm not willing to give up hope yet! In fact just yesterday I went and tried the Song Kee Fishball Noodles shop that was reviewed on ieatishootipost.sg and it was quite good. I have a feeling there are some real gems around Singapore, just have to separate the wheat from the abundance of chaff.

I'm willing to do put the effort into this, but I'm still looking for good tools to make the process better. I've found hungrygowhere to pale in comparison to yelp, and haven't been able to find any other good restaurant review aggregators. So I've turned to food blogs. Any suggestions for other means of finding good eats?

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Fri, 02 Sep 2011 11:54 am

Kvvok wrote:I'm inclined to agree with your assessment Billy, but I'm not willing to give up hope yet! In fact just yesterday I went and tried the Song Kee Fishball Noodles shop that was reviewed on ieatishootipost.sg and it was quite good. I have a feeling there are some real gems around Singapore, just have to separate the wheat from the abundance of chaff.

I'm willing to do put the effort into this, but I'm still looking for good tools to make the process better. I've found hungrygowhere to pale in comparison to yelp, and haven't been able to find any other good restaurant review aggregators. So I've turned to food blogs. Any suggestions for other means of finding good eats?
Of course there will be some little gems - there always is. I'm too lazy to find them though!! If you put the effort in and aren't fussed about travelling the island, you're bound to get success!!

Why don't you start another thread within one of the main topics - such as living in Singapore - and ask for input on great local food and for people to share their hidden gems?

As a starting point and of course biased from my preferences - the satay in general is good at lau pa sat, and there are some really good Indian places on Racecourse Road. There is a good English fish and chip shop (Smith's) on tanjong katong road, east coast seafood centre and irvins on River valley for fresh seafood, chicken rice on the corner of market street (nr. raffles place), Vietnamese - there is a great place in suntec tower 2 on the 3rd floor nr. toys'r'us

kart0009

Post by kart0009 » Sun, 04 Sep 2011 12:47 pm

Hi Andrew, there is some good food around here. Just gotta know the right contacts to show you the right places. Bak Ku Teh (pork ribs in herbal tea) at Balestier, Indian cuisine at Racecourse rd and Nasi Lemak at Adam Rd food centre are but the tip of the iceberg! :)

Cheers buddy.

Donocono

Post by Donocono » Mon, 05 Sep 2011 5:16 pm

Hi Andrew. I just got in to Singapore recently and would be interested in partnering up for some hawker outings. Evenings work best for me. I'm 38M, scholar/educator, and a total foodie. Give me a shout if you're still looking for company.

Cheers,
Donovan

Black_sheep11

Post by Black_sheep11 » Sat, 17 Sep 2011 1:59 pm

Hi Andrew, my name is Yuko, a Japanese Kiwi 25/F. I'm quite keen to do the hawker food trails too as there is a lot of them but I'm sick of eating alone!! The only problem I have is that I live in the northern end so it takes me tad long to get anywhere -.-

nwsurfchica

Post by nwsurfchica » Mon, 19 Sep 2011 10:14 pm

I'm a mid-30's woman from Oregon, USA and am here teaching at an arts-focused preschool. Some of the sushi I've had here so far is excellent, as well as a Chinese steambun dinner.

I've been here just 3 weeks and am keen to try out new good food places. Went to 40 Hands Coffee in Tiong Bahru, which is a across from Books Actually and would highly recommend either place...kind of a blast from home although both great shops!

Hoping to meet up with others who are interested to find foodie places to eat! Had a great veggie meal at the Clementi hawkers, last evening.

Best,
Lisa
nwsurfchica at gmail dot com

iammissk

Post by iammissk » Wed, 21 Sep 2011 11:01 am

I'm on to join you on your quest for good food! Just let me know when and where drop me a message :)

Donocono

Post by Donocono » Wed, 21 Sep 2011 5:12 pm

Haven't heard from Andrew--has anyone? No reason others of us can't take his lead. Feel free to give me a shout if you'd like some company. I'm no local expert but I do know a few choice spots and am always eager to discover others.

Cheers,

[email protected]

Waelan
Regular
Regular

Post by Waelan » Thu, 22 Sep 2011 1:36 pm

Donocono wrote:Haven't heard from Andrew--has anyone? No reason others of us can't take his lead. Feel free to give me a shout if you'd like some company. I'm no local expert but I do know a few choice spots and am always eager to discover others.

Cheers,

[email protected]

Let's arrange to meet for "makan"... i've been here for around 2 years but haven't got the chance to explore the local food

-N-

Donocono

Post by Donocono » Thu, 22 Sep 2011 2:07 pm

Let me just toss this out. I'll be heading to Old Airport hawker center tonight around 7pm. Feel free to come join--whoever! Look for a 6'2 dark haired, dark eyed Canadian.

It's in between Mountbatten and Dakota stops on the orange line. I think the walk is about the same from either one.

Cheers,
Donovan