Singapore Expats Forum

Medication - cost, availability and any issue with Customs?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:
The Club Residences

englishaussie

Medication - cost, availability and any issue with Customs?

Postby englishaussie » Tue, 30 Aug 2011 8:15 am

Hiya,

I take a couple of medications, including a preventer and Ventolin inhalers for Asthma.

Will I have any trouble finding them in Singapore? Will they be available over the counter or require a perscription from a Dr and roughly how much is medication in Singapore?

I can buy them from Australia and take enough for 2 years with me... but will that cause an issue with Customs?

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Medication - cost, availability and any issue with Custo

Postby Asian_Geekette » Tue, 30 Aug 2011 8:03 pm

englishaussie wrote:
I can buy them from Australia and take enough for 2 years with me... but will that cause an issue with Customs?

When I moved here in 2007, I had my doctor write a prescription for a year supply of my medicine. I bought all of these and put in my checked-in luggage. I had the doctor's prescription with me and a signed letter stating my medical history (that I'm under her care, etc, etc...) just in case customs check me out. I didn't have any problem bringing them in.

If you want to buy them (Ventolin) here, you'd need a prescription for that one.

Opps, upon checking the relevant government website, it states here that it should be 3 months' supply:
http://www.hsa.gov.sg/publish/hsaportal/en/health_products_regulation/bringing_personal_medication.html?=1

I found an online search portal for medicinal products for Singapore. You may want to use it to check your other medications. I did a quick search and it confirmed that Ventolin is a prescription medicine.
http://eservice.hsa.gov.sg/prism/common/enquirepublic/SearchDRBProduct.do?action=load

Now about the prices of medicines here, they're a bit pricey. Unless you can claim against your insurer or company (if covered by your contract).

Hope the info helps. Please bring enough Ventolin since we never know when the haze from Indonesia will blow this way. :(
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Tue, 30 Aug 2011 8:10 pm

It clearly states you can bring in no more than 3 months supply, so a letter from your doctor is not going to be an excuse for ignorance of custom laws is it! But there is a good chance it will not be checked, you could also ask the family to send it out to you every 3 month, though read the legality on post and stick to the 3 month limit.

mrdodge
Regular
Regular

Postby mrdodge » Sat, 10 Sep 2011 8:58 pm

I have a chronic condition and moved up with 6 months supply, with a letter and had no problems. In terms of cost etc, make sure you have insurance is all I can say, if you are likely to be dealing with the medical system frequently, then it's worth every cent.