retired, and giving Singapore a try

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
RobSg
Regular
Regular

retired, and giving Singapore a try

Post by RobSg » Sun, 28 Aug 2011 12:31 pm

After working here in Singapore for 20 years until 2007, I left Singapore to work in Egypt, Jordan, Vietnam, and Vermont (USA). I returned to Singapore permanently a few months ago to retire (maybe semi-retire). I'm pushing 65, and have about 6 more years on my PR.

I'm going to try to see if retirement in Singapore is a worthwhile endeavor. I'm actively involved in outdoor activities, and will probably do some tutoring, but mostly just enjoy seeing the beauty around me more than I have before. I'll give myself a couple years here before deciding on returning to North America.

If anyone else is retired (or semi-retired), I'd appreciate knowing what you are doing to keep yourself productive.

Rob

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 10

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 28 Aug 2011 12:51 pm

Hey Rob, Welcome back! I'll be turning 64 this week. Unfortunately, I might have to continue working for a while longer. Seems Hurricane Irene has put the farm in harms way once again. Isabelle did it 8 years ago and I guess I'll know in a couple of hours how we fared after Irene. She's currently about 70 miles away and approaching the Chesapeake at 16 mph.

Good luck on your impending retirement. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: retired, and giving Singapore a try

Post by JR8 » Sun, 28 Aug 2011 1:11 pm

RobSg wrote:After working here in Singapore for 20 years until 2007, I left Singapore to work in Egypt, Jordan, Vietnam, and Vermont (USA). I returned to Singapore permanently a few months ago to retire (maybe semi-retire). I'm pushing 65, and have about 6 more years on my PR.

I'm going to try to see if retirement in Singapore is a worthwhile endeavor. I'm actively involved in outdoor activities, and will probably do some tutoring, but mostly just enjoy seeing the beauty around me more than I have before. I'll give myself a couple years here before deciding on returning to North America.

If anyone else is retired (or semi-retired), I'd appreciate knowing what you are doing to keep yourself productive.

Rob
I'd like to hear what others do as well, as I now understand the adage about idle hands and the devil's work.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 30 Aug 2011 3:23 am

JR8 wrote:
RobSg wrote:After working here in Singapore for 20 years until 2007, I left Singapore to work in Egypt, Jordan, Vietnam, and Vermont (USA). I returned to Singapore permanently a few months ago to retire (maybe semi-retire). I'm pushing 65, and have about 6 more years on my PR.

Rob
I'd like to hear what others do as well, as I now understand the adage about idle hands and the devil's work.
I write long winded posts on the forum to pass the time of day :lol: Otherwise I am out on the mountain bike, down the gym, running or swimming, bird watching is my favourite passtime with and without feathers.

Plus my 11 year old daughter keeps me occupied to! Along with house cleaning ugh, washing and other homely duties.

Some times I wish I was back at work, it was much easier to be honest!

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Tue, 30 Aug 2011 7:53 pm

Rob
There are some very worthwhile organizations out there that hook seasoned professionals up with fledging businesses, kind of a Big Brother/Sister mentoring program. My husband sits on the Board of a few of them, I can ask him for specifics if you're interested. I always thought it would be fun and fulfilling to be a docent at the Zoo, just never seem to have the time.

Not sure if you've seen the footage of Irene's devastation in Vermont ~ southern VT is under water. Wilmington was practically washed away. So many beautiful, historic bridges swept away :cry: And entire towns cut-off by flood waters. We're fine where we are, but all around us is some serious devastation.

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Wed, 31 Aug 2011 12:46 pm

JR8 wrote:

Rob
How about a paper round?!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 31 Aug 2011 4:59 pm

BillyB wrote:
JR8 wrote: I'd like to hear what others do as well, as I now understand the adage about idle hands and the devil's work.
How about a paper round?!
[whistle]